Autumn 2008 anime season: impressions thread

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
We can use this thread to report our thoughts on the various new anime series starting in Japan soon. Personally, there's a few new shows I'm really looking forward to. Kurozuka, Casshern Sins, Michiko to Hatchin, One Outs and Tytania are the ones I'm really itching to see, but there are always a few surprises too. Going to be a fun few weeks trying to watch as much anime as I can get my paws on.

At the start of every season I have every intention of following a few shows as they air. It never happens. I have waaaay too many DVDs to watch for a start.

I did, however, catch the first episode of Toradora. It wasn't awful but if the Devil offered me those 23 minutes back in return for, say, 10 percent of my soul I'd have no hesitation in accepting. Predictable it is - but I don't imagine that the worldwide legion of otaku with a tsundere loli fetish will really care.

Just watched some of Linebarrels. It's the first time I've used Crunchyroll and the service seems surprisingly good, that said the show itself wasn't. As Retrorainbow said it feels fairly generic, like someone did a rushed cut and paste of bits from other better mech shows.

Still there are plenty of other shows to look forward to this season; Michiko to Hatchin looks potentially cool and Kurozuka seems like a dark and intriguing prospect.

Just finished the Kurozuka mango for now I'll hold back my opinion whether it'll end up vulgar or not I cannot say! But I may watch the anime, as long as it's the typical Madhouse style.

For me it'll probably be:

Casshern SINS: Looks awesome as hell, a little pissed that the opening is some Japanese Yu-Gi-Oh one as opposed to the epic original by Isao Sasaki, adding it would've been a nice touch.

Michiko and Hatchin: Paul brought it to my attention a while ago, willing to give it a go, looks better than most things coming out at least.

Corpse Bride: GAINAX work enough said, it can either be really good or really bad. We will see.

EDIT: Oh, I'm downloading Casshern SINS right now too btw. :>

chaos said:
what are these shows about / like?
Except for Casshern, I dunno, that's why you watch them to find out!

Casshern is about Androids taking over the planet and a boy/young man called Azuma Tetsuya [Tetsuya Azuma] turning himself into an Android himself [Casshern] to fight them! That's the basics anyways.

Also, I think Casshern SINS lacks Friender. :<

Akane-iro ni Somaru Saka-One of this seasons harem shows. Wasn't as blatent as most to start of with, but kinda threw away any hint of that with the ending.
Hyakko- Quirky slice of school life. Has possibilities
Linebarrel - Errh if your going to buy the rights to make an existing series it helps if you use any of the existing material other than the name. Other than that kinda meh
Toradora- Finally an anime romantic comedy which ISN'T a harem. the male and female leads are not secretly in love with each other and the objects of their affection are two entirely separate characters, and while I'd bet dollars to donuts that they'll end up together, but they really don't like each other at the moment.
Casherren- coun't even be bothered to finish it. Nothing else much to say.
Few more i'm looking into from recomendations from various blogs, but don't think they have been fansubed

Hey Karekano was not harem...
Hyakko and toradora sounds interesting, but maybe it's the way you wrote this here... BTW, HM, I've got me the Ghost Talker's Daydream OVA. Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm watching what all of /a/ is watching for the lulz. Namely:

Clannad ~After Season~
Rosario + Vampire Capu2
Toradora

For the last few seasons nothing has interested me.

After I finish Eureka 7, I'll be watching epic/GAR anime so that these don't make me rage/go mad (Hajime no Ippo, Monster, GaoGaiGar, Silent Mobius and Koutetsushin Jeeg).

Didn't say they all were harems Chaos, just almost all of the most recent ones.
Watched a few more
Ga-Rei Zero- wow, no really WOW. Saw some pic's on a blog and it looked intresting. Watching it is seemed vaguely reminicent of BLASSREITER, zombies and larger deamon like things,and a similar team made to deal with them with grunts and eltie members, bike-fu. Thing was it seemed a bit grittier and less ... Gonzo? It gave enough back story to let you know what was going on, without spoon feeding it to you and leaving some for a later date. The characters while some what generic were done in a why to show that there was more going on than was told, but in a realist manner. The grunts also weren't just cannon fodder, they where effective against a certian (low) class of deamon, but not so against higher ones, which when they turned up they tried to sensibly retreat. As of the ending... greatest WTF moment for a 1st episode for a LONG time. Keeping this one.
Shikabane Hime aka - Weird little one, could describe the plot, but it would make it seem too much like a lot of the other dross out at the moment. It's sort of a supernatural action show, with unkillable schoolgirl fighting other deamons. While that's been done to death recently the vibe was.. different. More Birdy the might decode but darker rather than a more shounen show like Buso Renkin.
Also caught Index, but can't see why everyone is raving about it.

I watched "KYASHAAN" today. It was decent. Casshern being nigh on the only word use throughout the first episode. I'm intrigued and the animation was enjoyable, so I'm waiting for more.

Toradora is getting decent reviews on ANN, so I'm interested. But, Its doubtful if that I'll watch it.

Out of obligation, I'll try to watch ~After Story~. I liked Clannad for the most part. Again, Its doubtful I'll watch it during this season.

And lastly, That GAINAX thing. Doesn't sound spectacular, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. No idea when I'll get around to watching it, though

I have too much to watch, anyway. So.. I'm not all that bothered about this season, even if it's better ten-fold than last fall's offerings. If only there was another Kaiji.

Can someone link me a list of anime that's currently on the Autumn Schedule.

As of the anime recommendation or views you posted, not any of them has spark any interest. Index, whilst looking generic, has a tinge of interest.

But as of now, I'm not really in the rush to watch any 'current to air' anime in Japan and really not planning to until I have my third Shana Season (despite second season being crap. But I am interested in Yuji being evil in Season 3)

Somehow, one of those title are bound to interest me. If not, oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched Ga Rei Zero, seemed dull and generic - until the end of the episode which genuinely stunned me. Quality aside, I NEED to see the next one to see how they resolve that cliffhanger!

Also checked out Shikabane Hime which felt fairly mediocre, but not without promise - I'm not expecting Gurren Lagann or anything, but I'm hoping the show will do something vaguely original or interesting in the future.

Aside from that, is it me or is there a trend for 'dead' protagonists this season?

Wildcard said:
Watched Ga Rei Zero, seemed dull and generic - until the end of the episode which genuinely stunned me. Quality aside, I NEED to see the next one to see how they resolve that cliffhanger!
Heh. Same here. The first twenty minutes were exruciatingly dull, but I'm glad I managed to stay awake to see the end. This one has potential.

Unlike Toradora, which I've dropped after the second episode. I'm too old for this banal, predictable high school romance fluff.

Chaos;head: This seem like a wierd anime, but one with potential. If anyone liked Higurashi, then this is yet another close one. The main character has to be one of the wierdest though, being a big anime fan and have wierd dillusions of the typical anime girl fanservice and talking to his imaginary anime character. This is weebo to the next level. But stick with it and it becomes interesting. An interesting and weird idea of the 'Pregnant Man' in which a man is found dead with a fetus inside was reported on the news and finds a girl who is plunging daggers through a guy.

I don't like horror films or excessive gore. But psychological anime with gores are probably my highlights and I am becoming a sucker for them. Plus it's running for 13 episodes. It could swing both ways, it could end in a satisfying way without being stretched out or end and there could be so much more stuff that need to be explained.

Overall, I'm impressed. Roll on episode 2

Just watched Kurozuka episode one, after reading the manga, I expected more, the pacing was a little slow for me at least, the characters aren't as... interesting appearence-wise as in the manga either, infact Kuro looks rather generic and uninteresting. Opening was amazing though, READY TO GO. I'll keep watching though, it's only twelve episodes, might as well see how the anime will have it go down.

Also saw Corpse Princess the other day, I honestly expected more than what GAINAX had given me... at least the protagonist wasn't an idiot though, which is a plus! Not sure whether I'll keep going with this yet, probably will though.

Casshern is easily the best for me this season so far. First episode of Casshern was alright, second episode was WAAAY better. Because I hear if you eat Casshern you will live forever.

I have to say that I'm enjoying Kannagi a lot more than I thought I would. It's beautifully animated - the characters have more movement in one episode than most shows have in their entire run - and the backgrounds are lovely. And it's genuinely funny in places, too.

Back