AUKN's Best of the Decade - Results and Discussion

I also watch Haruhi for Kyon's skeptic outlook. Great series although the Endless Eight (of which I watched all of =_=) was a major hit to what I had rated as being one of teh best series of the decade.
Haven't seen the film yet but will definately be watching it at some point.
I'm happy with where the other nominations landed. Shame Gurren Lagan didn't make an appearance in the top 10 though.

Ahh, alright :) guess i forgot geass was number 3.

I'll check out the haruhi film... hope its better than what i've seen of the series.

What have you seen of the series? Haruhi is cool because it smashes several genres together in, imo, a successful manner. It's got your comedy, your romance, your science-fiction, high school drama ... etc. It's worth watching. Film is meant to be brill, but I imagine (some) show-context is needed - no?

Jayme said:
What have you seen of the series? Haruhi is cool because it smashes several genres together in, imo, a successful manner. It's got your comedy, your romance, your science-fiction, high school drama ... etc. It's worth watching. Film is meant to be brill, but I imagine (some) show-context is needed - no?
The series doesn't follow chronological order that much.
You need to know Melancholy (1-6, for genral background) and Bamboo Leaf Rapsody (v. important). That's books 1 and a chapter of 3 (ep 1 of season 2). Endless Eight is filler, and Sigh (the film making) isn't connected to disapearance, only to stuff at the end of season 1.

seen the odd episode... tbh the storyline doesn't interest me, black lagoon on the other hand... i think that if they make it into a RL i'd enjoy it.

Anyway, regardless of the title... it shouldn't have 2 spots imo, give it a double barrel mention or something as 1 entry.

In the original post setting it up it was very clearly stated that films would each have a separate entry. Even if it was a series of films (e.g. Kara no Kyoukai).

@Reaper gI
Endless Eight isn't filler (the arc as a whole anyway), and is in fact probably more important and relevant to Disappearance than Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.

Even I like Haruhi [series] and I'm a miserable old hag. Still looking forward to seeing the movie if Bandai don't bankrupt themselves in R1 with crazy optimistic K-On! singles plans.

R

Jiindama said:
@Reaper gI
Endless Eight isn't filler (the arc as a whole anyway), and is in fact probably more important and relevant to Disappearance than Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody.
Endless Eight is after Dissapearance in the original; shouldn't need to know about it yet.
Bamboo Leaf Rapsody ties in heavily, and it does assume you know the events. The events of Endless Eight are unimportant, it's only tie in is as a possible motive.

Reaper gI said:
Endless Eight is after Dissapearance in the original; shouldn't need to know about it yet.
Bamboo Leaf Rapsody ties in heavily, and it does assume you know the events. The events of Endless Eight are unimportant, it's only tie in is as a possible motive.

I know Endless Eight was published after Disappearance novel wise, as I've read up all that's currently available. Although I suspect the short story was probably published in "The Sneaker" prior to the release of Disappearance.

Sure Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody is more immediately relevant as it explains what's going on. Endless Eight provides a much, much sounder understanding as to why the events of Disappearance happen

Last edited by a moderator:
Look what you've done Tach!

It is now your mission (I am giving you) to watch the "full" first series of Haruhi. It caters for several different anime trends. Don't do what I do and push it aside assuming it woudln't interest you. I've done that with so many series in the past (Bubblegum Crisis, Fullmetal Alchemist, Baccano! to mention but a few).

*sigh*

Alright i'll watch it fully. I put off Gurren Lagann, i watched it and became hooked. might happen with this... or i might be even more grumpy than Rui said she is :p

Reaper gI said:
Neferpitou said:
The top ten seem to be quite balanced list that didn't contain nothing to controversial. But it feels a bit of empty result for me when a title like One Piece is excluded simply because of their start date. Even when the majority of the series was shown in the 00's.

I can't think of many title which signified the 00's decade of Anime better than One Piece.
Moe, and bishoujo is the 00's thing. (just look at what aired in 2004/ 2005)
Or the rise of CG over hand drawn anime.

Those are types of Anime genre, not one particular title. While there been loads of Moe and Bishoujo titles in the 00's, not one has been as big as One Piece which has reign non stop for the whole decade.

Funnily enough though, the biggest Anime title of 00's in the west is not One Piece but probably Naruto. But in Japan there's no question that One Piece is biggest title of the 00's.

Neferpitou said:
Reaper gI said:
Neferpitou said:
The top ten seem to be quite balanced list that didn't contain nothing to controversial. But it feels a bit of empty result for me when a title like One Piece is excluded simply because of their start date. Even when the majority of the series was shown in the 00's.

I can't think of many title which signified the 00's decade of Anime better than One Piece.
Moe, and bishoujo is the 00's thing. (just look at what aired in 2004/ 2005)
Or the rise of CG over hand drawn anime.

Those are types of Anime genre, not one particular title. While there been loads of Moe and Bishoujo titles in the 00's, not one has been as big as One Piece which has reign non stop for the whole decade.

Funnily enough though, the biggest Anime title of 00's in the west is not One Piece but probably Naruto. But in Japan there's no question that One Piece is biggest title of the 00's.

Hence why i'm annoyed about Haruhi getting 2 places, Naruto Shippuden should have got a mention, OR the ninja clash in the snow (which imo was the best naruto film they've brought out) Surely that should have got a space on the top 10 because of the popularity and probably sales figures/estimates.

But it was a vote, so sales figures are irrelevant. If it was on UK sales figures the chart would be topped by Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, Bakugan and tons of dub-only kid shows nobody on the forum watches. If nobody voted for Naruto, then Naruto isn't that loved on this forum.

You can pretend FMP took the place of Disappearance if you like, since we have extended stats.

R

[Edit: Since only Naruto appears in the full list and isn't represented in the top stats, presumably even you didn't vote for the first movie or Shippuuden >_>]

wasn't even aware of a vote tbh, been busy at work. but yeah i understand where your coming from. I'd prefer to believe FMP is in the listings instead, adds abit more variety.

Rui said:
But it was a vote, so sales figures are irrelevant. If it was on UK sales figures the chart would be topped by Naruto, Bleach, Pokemon, Bakugan and tons of dub-only kid shows nobody on the forum watches. If nobody voted for Naruto, then Naruto isn't that loved on this forum.

You can pretend FMP took the place of Disappearance if you like, since we have extended stats.

R

[Edit: Since only Naruto appears in the full list and isn't represented in the top stats, presumably even you didn't vote for the first movie or Shippuuden >_>]

You are falling into my brothers trap* - just because no-one voted for Naruto does not mean no-one likes it , just that the people who voted liked at least 10 shows/movies more than Naruto.

* My brother often says that if I prefer 1 thing to something else, then it must mean I don't like the other thing.

mangaman74 said:
Rui said:

R

You are falling into my brothers trap* - just because no-one voted for Naruto does not mean no-one likes it , just that the people who voted liked at least 10 shows/movies more than Naruto.

* My brother often says that if I prefer 1 thing to something else, then it must mean I don't like the other thing.
People like to use straw man arguments just to make it look like you're in the wrong. It's an annoying trait of anime fans that like popular things.

mangaman74 said:

I should have italicised that :)

A couple of years ago we did have quite a few Naruto fans about, and the Naruto manga thread still does pop up from time to time, but it has definitely fallen from grace in these parts for a lot of people. I have the series myself (even bought all of the filler...) but it would have to be a significantly longer list than a top ten before it would get a mention from me.

R

[Edit: For Tachi, here is the vote thread http://forums.animeuknews.net/viewtopic ... 06&start=0 ]

Back