AUKN Character Battle Round 2, Match 10: Morgiana/Haman Karn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
These two round out the female-heavy roster this week. Which pink-haired fighter will triumph?

Rules

1. To vote, reply in this thread and include a very clear statement of intent as the first line of the post e.g. "My vote is for CHARACTER NAME".
2. If you need to change your vote, edit your original post to remove the line and add a new post to the thread with your new vote.
3. It's ok to discuss other things in this thread too, just make sure you follow rule #1 for your actual vote.
4. It's ok to have fun :)

Voting period: From now until 23:59 on Sunday 6th September. Votes posted after this time will not be counted.

Contestants

t6g5EzV.png

Morgiana from Magi.

A former slave who wields formidable physical strength, Morgiana is a sweet girl who always tries to do what she thinks is right, no matter how challenging.

Haman Karn from Mobile Suit Gundam

Cool and calculating, as the power behind the throne and architect of Zeon's return Haman Karn proved as deft at military and political strategy as she was at piloting her Qubeley mobile suit. Sieg Zeon!

BztoB9R.jpg

To the death, then. Haman.

I'm not familiar with Morgiana but the descriptions of her as a "sweet girl" and "super cute" tell me I wouldn't change my mind even if I was...

I vote for Haman, the comeback begins now!!! Okay most likely not, as she's not cute so who cares, amaright? :p I'll be in the salt mines if you need me.....lol

Haman. I don't even know who she is, but her description and presentation are infinitely better than the other choice. I really can't fathom why people list a character being "super cute" as if it's a positive. Especially when said "super cute" characters are, in actual fact, not really super cute, but just anonymous instantly forgettably faced 12 year old anime identikit clones with no noses. And if your saying that their personalities are cute, well, that's even worse. Cute people fi dead.

I was going to vote for Haman but all of the negativity has convinced me to switch to Morgiana so that I can defend the poor lass. The series she is in has a cutesy art style but her story is actually pretty chilling, especially if you read between the obvious lines. And she can kick monsters in the face without even flinching, not as a fluffy tsundere joke but in a badass 'I'm going to slaughter you if you don't back down' kind of way. She's a woman of steel.

R

I suppose "cute people fi dead" was perhaps a proclamation too far, sorry to all the cute people out there, carry on being cute.

vashdaman said:
Haman. I don't even know who she is, but her description and presentation are infinitely better than the other choice. I really can't fathom why people list a character being "super cute" as if it's a positive. Especially when said "super cute" characters are, in actual fact, not really super cute, but just anonymous instantly forgettably faced 12 year old anime identikit clones with no noses. And if your saying that their personalities are cute, well, that's even worse. Cute people fi dead.
Well, "Cuteness is in the eye of the beholder" as they (probably don't often) say. I think "Cute" is always going to be one of those words that triggers very different reactions in people due to significant differences in interpretation and personal bias. It's maybe not quite as bad as something like "moe" but the varied reactions are still there. I know some people would consider it an insult to be called cute while others would see it as a complement (the problem being when one meets the other).

I have to admit, I personally wonder if it's a good idea to let a particular word evoke such a strong negative reaction even if it is commonly used in a way you don't agree with or in reference to something you don't like. There will always be the odd instance where your initial reaction is completely unfounded and by reacting so strongly it makes it difficult for you to truly examine the subject in a fair manner. Judging from Rui's comments, this may even be an example of such a situation.

Let's face it, as anime fans we probably know better than most that a description of something doesn't always do it justice. Words aren't an entirely reliable tool.

Sort of related but are we really saying that Haman is not cute? She looks kind of cute to me, she even has pink hair. Eminently huggable I'd say, even if she'd probably do something horrific to me for even contemplating an attempt.

Rui said:
I was going to vote for Haman but all of the negativity has convinced me to switch to Morgiana so that I can defend the poor lass. The series she is in has a cutesy art style but her story is actually pretty chilling, especially if you read between the obvious lines. And she can kick monsters in the face without even flinching, not as a fluffy tsundere joke but in a badass 'I'm going to slaughter you if you don't back down' kind of way. She's a woman of steel.
Negativity? I'm more than certain you've been witness to my actual negativity before Rui - This barely registers on the scale. It's not my fault other people's descriptions made her sound unappealing. That's a far better job of selling the character you're doing there, but it's not like anything would have swayed my vote anyway.

Does "fi dead" actually mean something, is it another one of these modern slang terms I'm not up to date with? I just presumed it was an odd typo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mm, I just felt bad for her as she seemed to catch the brunt of things just because she's got a cute face. As a card-carrying member of the 'there are too many cutesy pink-haired ditzes who are seen as adorable for being unable to tie their own shoelaces' squad normally, I wanted to defend poor Mor as she could eat most of them for breakfast :D

Might defect to keep things interesting later, however.

R

There will always be the odd instance where your initial reaction is completely unfounded and by reacting so strongly it makes it difficult for you to truly examine the subject in a fair manner.

That's pretty much exactly how I made my name on this forum.

ayase said:
Does "fi dead" actually mean something, is it another one of these modern slang terms I'm not up to date with? I just presumed it was an odd typo.

It does mean something, pretty horrible unfortunately e.g
Again sorry to all the cutie pies out there, I was just being silly. I was once even described as cute myself! When I was 5.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back