Asian Live Action TV Recommendations

This is an area which I don't venture into much - as there is such a vast amount out there. I'm just looking for something which is good to watch, although mileage may vary!

I've watched (for those who are interested):

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon - Enjoyed this a lot despite it being aimed for children. I'm just a big kid at heart :p

Aim for the Ace! - Cheesy tennis action at it's finest (because it's not really about the tennis.)

and I'm currently watching Sukeban Deka which I'm loving because it ticks my boxes; 80's, cheese and cool schoolgirl beating up bullies and the like!

Anyone have some recommendations? It doesn't need to be Japanese or an anime related series - just entertaining!

A friend gave me a whole series of Ikebukero West Gate Park. It's a bit old and seems like a more whacky version of Hollyoaks. Good for Japanese listening practice though, not that I can keep up much. :(

Kaede said:
A friend gave me a whole series of Ikebukero West Gate Park. It's a bit old and seems like a more whacky version of Hollyoaks. Good for Japanese listening practice though, not that I can keep up much. :(

Just read the Wikipedia description. It sounds like the more grounded and realistic version of Sukeban Deka - but without the schoolgirls with yo-yo weaponry. I'll get around to checking this out soon! Thanks. :D

I STILL haven't watched it but Hana Yori Dango (Boys Over Flowers) the live action show is supposed to be great! (Both Japanese AND Korean versions! Yes, Japan and Korea each did their own adaptation. ^_~)

Broadly speaking, I've never been much interested in live-action tv series from Japan, but man, I think my life would be complete if someone would subtitle Seibu Keisatsu.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me tell you about a little show known as Game Center CX

5149OsF11PL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It is about this dood called Arino, who is a member of a comedy troupe in Japan who plays video games and stuff. In short each episode is him playing a different game, from the classics like Mario and Sonic, to the weird esoteric **** like Mighty Bomb Jack, and he is tasked with completing each game within a day (or untill he submits, which ever one comes first. The whole "day" rule is somewhat played fast and loose with though).

Something Awful, the king of the internet message boards, has something of a dedicated community of people translating episodes, thier numbers including one Nina Matsumoto, the writer of Yokaiden and pretty cool artist.

The show has also gotten an official release through Discotek under it's international title "Retro Game Master", this set has 12 challenges, 9 of which have an english dub which came from the failed airing of the show on internet slow bus passenger Kotaku.

After Ten Years of fortnightly airing, the show has just reached it's 150th episode in which Arino challenges Parapa the Rapper, watch it (if you can find it, it was subtitled just yesterday) and believe that a middle aged (40 year old) Japanese Man can rap like the best of them.

One I'll add is Akihabara@DEEP. One thing I must make very clear is NOT the film, the tv series.

You wont find this one on dvd with subtitles.

I found it very entertaining from start to finish and have seen it a good few times.

It's about a group of otaku who help other otaku, its a great laugh and if full of otaku stuff to keep a keen eye out for.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akihabara@Deep

Back