Apparently Harmony Gold is suing Tatsunoko Productions

NormanicGrav

Quintessential Grav
AUKN Staff
Discovered on the AUKN Discord chat and on Blu-ray forum, it seems Harmony Gold has started suing Tatsunoko Productions.

Previous lawsuits have been over Battletech but this time that's not the case.

From Macross World:
This lawsuit has nothing to do with the Battletech controversy. Harmony Gold is suing Tatsunoko Production in order to enforce an arbitration order against Tatsunoko. Long story short, Tatsunoko was ordered to reimburse Harmony Gold's legal fees, which arose out of an arbitration dispute between the two. So far, Tatsunoko hasn't paid Harmony Gold back and Harmony Gold is asking a district court to force Tatsunoko to pay. I would write more, but I'm literally about to walk out the door for a trip. I'll try to go into more detail when I arrive at my destination.
From BattleTech:
Okay, thanks for the link to the new case. I did some digging, and it was a largely useless case (it's asking a court to confirm and arbitration) but one of the exhibits was worth the money.

As per Exhibit 1 (Redacted document - Arbitration Award) in 2:17-cv-06034 Harmony Gold, USA, Inc. v. Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd.

Award 2a: HG's license to make derivative works expires 14MAR2021. All rights and sublicenses revert to the company that bought the company that bought Tatsunoko at that time.

2c: HG does not have all rights in perpetuity throughout the universe (the listed terminology).

2d: They can negotiate for a new license, of course.

Let it be known: This is not part of the other case, it is a matter of court record, and I am not an attorney. These are my understandings based on my knowledge. The citations are provided in case an attorney wishes to fact-check.

It explains the sudden rush, they have four years to milk the license for all its worth before terms change. Also, this was a million-dollar arbitration on their part.

I'd also like to suggest people read the Wikipedia article on Harmony Gold USA.
From BattleTech (post #2):
Ok, a lot of stuff going on in that Leonard French stream, but apparently, here's the highlights:
  • This has nothing to do with Battletech
  • Arbitration is already over. In addition, Arbitration only covers the contract between HG and Tatsunoko, with no regard to external factors - It is not legally binding otherwise. Presumably that means it can't be used against HBS
  • Basically, Tatsunoko got squeezed by Big West, another company. In turn, Tatsunoko tried to squeeze HG for royalties (Way, way WAY too late), rights and other stuff. HG squeezed back and won
  • The contract pretty much gives HG every single right you can think of outside the US, excluding the rights to 41 original Macross characters
  • All of HGs rights end on March 14, 2021. All of them
  • Whoever Tatsunoko had writing their contracts was a moron
There's a lot of stuff though, I suggest people watch it.

For those out of the loop, Harmony Gold "acquired" the rights to make a Americanised version of Super Dimension Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada mashed together in three different seasons called Robotech. It was very popular back when it aired in the mid 80s, but it turned there was more to it. The Macross franchise was stuck in licensing hell due to Harmony Gold claiming they have Worldwide outside Japan rights to the franchise due to mishaps and legal stuff. Best to read the whole stuff over on Wikipedia. It's hard to explain in words.

Recent attempts on milking the Robotech franchise had been a kickstarter crowdfunding campaign to make a new series called Robotech Academy which failed, because no one wants Robotech anymore pretty much. Harmony Gold eventually recently put out new comics based on Robotech's Macross saga and Sony's attempt to make a live-action film adaptation.

Last edited:
I just hope this pushes Tatsunoko and others to finally shut Harmony Gold down and end this facade.

HG from my understanding actually only have Worldwide rights to the original SDF Macross series from 1982 and the rest of the franchise they have no claim too. This is why Manga were able to put out Plus and II, because they caught HG slipping and while Harmony Gold will claim they will take anyone to court over a Macross title released outside of Japan the truth is they lack the finance and the actual rights to do so and would lose. But the threat of court fees and action from HG is why no company has tried to release any of the rest of Macross. Because if they did they may lose the potential profits of releasing the show to legal fees.

As for Mospeada and Southern Cross I genuinely don't understand why we haven't seen anything beyond the crappy HG masters being released by ADV, because as I say they HG have zero rights to them anymore.

Harmony Gold are just cancerous and the sooner they combust the better we'll all be. So I would love for them to push too far and for Japan to finally take them out though I doubt it'll happen.

Wait so reading the Battletech article again. Does this suggest that on 14MAR2021 all this **** with HG might well be over?

Well this gives me a reason to continue living. Hopefully in the next 10 years we will see international releases of the show HG has kept trapped.

I picked up the first issue of that Macross redo and, yeah, Titan should stick to Doctor Who because oh boy was that a load of bull and chips.

Does crowdfunding extend to supporting one side of a legal dispute? It'd certainly benefit the community if one of the disputants' wherewithal was weakened by this ordeal...

I just hope this pushes Tatsunoko and others to finally shut Harmony Gold down and end this facade.

HG from my understanding actually only have Worldwide rights to the original SDF Macross series from 1982 and the rest of the franchise they have no claim too. This is why Manga were able to put out Plus and II, because they caught HG slipping and while Harmony Gold will claim they will take anyone to court over a Macross title released outside of Japan the truth is they lack the finance and the actual rights to do so and would lose. But the threat of court fees and action from HG is why no company has tried to release any of the rest of Macross. Because if they did they may lose the potential profits of releasing the show to legal fees.

As for Mospeada and Southern Cross I genuinely don't understand why we haven't seen anything beyond the crappy HG masters being released by ADV, because as I say they HG have zero rights to them anymore.

Harmony Gold are just cancerous and the sooner they combust the better we'll all be. So I would love for them to push too far and for Japan to finally take them out though I doubt it'll happen.

Couldn't agree more. As you can probably tell from the username I love the series and Harmony Gold's attempts to protect their crappy bastardised edit of a classic piece of anime history is kind of pathetic. All of the press releases for the recent Robotech comic seem to pat themselves on the back for creating a "cult classic franchise" when all they really did is edit 3 unrelated shows together and make some money off it.

I get that it was a lot of people's first exposure to anime in the US and that at the time there wasn't much of a market for unedited stuff, I'm fine about the fact that it exists. However all the stuff that's came since with them desperately trying to market it as their own work and taking all this legal action against the original companies like Tatsunoko and Big West who created it in the first place is just crazy.

It boils my blood that we'll never see stuff like the original SDF Macross, Do You Remember Love? and Macross Plus on official Blu Ray in English just because they want to lazily make as much money possible without having to come up with any concepts of their own.

I'd fund a campaign to help legal fees for Tatsunoko. I'm sure some of HG's past activities aren't exactly legal. For just one example: tracing images from official Macross products and artbooks and repurposing them. Surely you need the artists permission for that?

Apparently Harmony Gold have finally lost the license to Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada! The day has come at last!

They went to court and obviously lost just as everyone knew they would.

www.tinyurl.com/y9wx5r24

I'm so happy right now. We might be living in a world in a year or so where the original Macross and DYRL are coming out on BD officially in English!! :D

Apparently Harmony Gold have finally lost the license to Macross, Southern Cross and Mospeada! The day has come at last!

They went to court and obviously lost just as everyone knew they would.

www.tinyurl.com/y9wx5r24

I'm so happy right now. We might be living in a world in a year or so where the original Macross and DYRL are coming out on BD officially in English!! :D
It seems like Harmony Gold actually won the case, but they're still going to lose the rights in 2021.

HARMONY GOLD, USA, INC. v | No. 2:17-cv-06034-PA-MRW. | 20170830639 | Leagle.com

IT IS HEREBY ORDERED, ADJUDGED, AND DECREED:

That the Arbitration Award issued by the Independent Film & Television Alliance on June 28, 2017 in connection with the arbitration proceedings between Petitioner and Tatsunoko Production Co., Ltd., a true and correct copy of which is attached hereto as Exhibit A, is the Judgment of this Court.

Pursuant to California Civil Code section 3287, the parties are entitled to recover prejudgment interest on any unsatisfied amount of money ordered to be paid in the Arbitration Award which accrued between June 28, 2017 and the date of this judgment at the statutory rate.

IT IS SO ORDERED.

AWARD
1. Declaratory and other Relief Granted in favor of Claimant
  • a. To the date hereof Claimant has not materially breached any agreements with Respondent related to the Programs nor infringed any of Respondent's rights therein including but not limited to infringing on Respondent's copyrights or fraudulently registering Macross trademarks;
  • b. The Original Agreements and Operative Agreements grant Claimant the right to make derivative works of the Programs and Robotech, including live action motion picture adaptations, and Claimant has not produced any unlicensed works;
  • c. The 2003-A is valid and binding on Respondent, and Claimant has been granted therein all of Respondent's copyright rights in Macross, except for the visual depiction of the original 41 animated graphic characters from the underlying Program, pursuant thereto;
  • d. The Operative Agreements grant Claimant the express right to sublicense its rights as it chooses, and Claimant has neither breached said agreements nor infringed on Respondent's rights by entering into such sublicenses;
  • e. The Operative Agreements grant Claimant the express right to exploit the Programs and any derivative works in all media, including digital, and Claimant has not breached said agreement nor infringed on Respondent's rights by exploiting the Programs and related derivative works in digital media;
  • f. The Operative Agreements grant Claimant the right to exploit the Programs and any derivative works through sublicensing of music and clips, and Claimant has neither breached the agreement nor infringed on Respondent's rights by exploiting the Programs and related derivative works through such sublicenses;
  • g. Claimant owes no royalties for home video exploitation pursuant to the 1991-LA as same are part of the flat license fee for visual rights;
  • h. Claimant had and has the right to offset against royalties otherwise owed to Respondent the sum of $541,362 incurred by Claimant in connection with the Big West litigation, until recouped;
  • i. To the date of the last royalty statement or audited date, Claimant has fully accounted for all royalties owed to Respondent except for the amount of $42,543 which Claimant is to account for and/or to pay to Respondent forthwith subject to any continuing proper offsets.
  • j. Respondent's audit and other claims, as are identified in the body hereof and in Respondent's request for relief, are time barred as they arise out of claims more than four years old for its breach of contract claims, and more than three years old for its copyright claims;
  • k. As of this date, Respondent is not entitled to terminate the Operative Agreements or otherwise curtail Claimant's rights thereunder.
  • I. Claimant owns in perpetuity the title Robotech and the produced Robotech programs with exploitation thereof subject to Respondent's rights on termination of the Operative Agreements.
2. Relief Granted in favor of Respondent
  • a. Claimant's right to use the Programs for production and/or exploitation of new works expires on March 14, 2021 along with any extant sublicenses as all rights to the Programs revert back to Respondent at that time.
  • b. Upon expiration of the term of the Operative Agreements, the Claimant no longer has any right to use or exploit derivative works produced during the term, which contain portions of the Programs, as rights to the Programs revert back to Respondent at that time.
  • c. Claimant has no permanent, exclusive, and irrevocable copyright and trademark rights in the Programs as same shall belong to Respondent on expiration of the term in 2021;
  • d. Upon expiration of the term, Respondent shall have the right and option to disaffirm/cancel any existing licenses, assignments and/or other agreements extending beyond the term as may have been entered into by Claimant with others granting any rights in and to the Programs;
  • e. Claimant is to pay to Respondent the sum of $42,543 as a result of the audit subject to any remaining proper offset rights due to the Big West legal fee expenditure.
3. The award of all costs of the arbitration is to be determined in the sole discretion of the Arbitrator in accordance with paragraph 14 of the Rules as the Operative Agreements do not provide any guidance regarding same. At the close of the Hearing on May 19, 2017 the Arbitrator advised the parties in writing that: Legal fees are to be reasonable and directly related to this arbitration but need not be the same for each firm as, for example, pay scales, number of attorneys working on the matter, etc., may be different. The Arbitrator determines that it is appropriate to consider only costs directly relating this arbitration and not the prior arbitration and mediation on this matter. Thus, the Arbitrator finds that Claimant, as the predominantly prevailing party, is entitled to recover and Respondent owes Claimant such costs as adjusted by the Arbitrator in the total amount of $848,708 which consists of Claimant's legal fees, allowed by Arbitrator as being reasonable, in the amount of $711,930 and Claimant's costs of $136,778 which include its share of both IFTA filing fees of $1,100 and Arbitrator fees of $25,612.

4. This Award is in full resolution and settlement of all claims and counter claims submitted to this Arbitration. All claims and counter claims not expressly granted herein are hereby denied.

5. This Award may be executed in any number of counterparts, each of which shall be deemed an original, and all of which shall constitute together one and the same instrument.

Well only a few years to go till they don't have any more rights to it. They really are scum and it's going to be so wonderful to see when they have nothing to make money from in 2021. I bet they'll try something else desperate to retain some kind of rights to the shows.

So if I'm reading this right Tatsunoko get the rights back in 2021 but have to pay Harm anime for Gold $850k?

What kind of financial shape are they both in? Would be kind of awful if this sunk Tatsunoko before they get the rights back. Or helped prop up HG.

Where Do things Stand Now ?
The same "its been 20 years and things are still being dragged out" as it was last year

Can things just stop already so Battle Tech can make more Games/Mechs without feeling like they're walking on thin ice in fear of being sued.

(Oh and for anyone interested why I care about Battle Tech so much... Look at my name...)

Back