Anyone going to the BFI anime season?

bakura

Student Council President
Just curious if anyone here is going to see any of the anime season at the BFI, I already went to the opening discussion and went to see belladonna of sadness yesterday and got many more planned to see mostly at the weekends of April and May (mainly older anime as I'm getting more interested in anime history). So yeah anyone else going to see anything?

I'm not going this year but I'm interested to know what you thought of Belladonna of Sadness - I really like that movie and own the Blu-ray/4K combo CE and companion book :)

I have been in previous years though, with my dad, was a while ago now but I enjoyed attending though they didn't do as many films as they are doing now when I went :)

:)

It was an interesting film and very uncomfortable which I understand was the point, honestly at first the animation came across like a Terry Gillingham sketch from monty python but then I got stuck into it. Overall a very unique way to do an anime when you clearly didn't have much time to make it as Helen Mccarthy was explaining to us in her opening talk. Never thought I'd see an anime done in watercolour but here we are

I've got tickets for Patlabor movie double bill at the end of April and I am going to try and see Grave of the Fireflies in May, there's just so much that I would like to have seen, especially The Wings of Honneamise, but timings and getting in and out of London limit how much I can actually attend.

Thanks for highlighting this or I might not have realised this was on at all. It's pretty cool, there's a whole heap of good films worth seeing on the big screen here. I'm also tempted by that Patlabor double bill, though not yet sure if I can afford it, But hopefully.

I've got patlabor. Your talking the 1 and 2 on the same day one right after the other right? I'll probably see you there.

Yes, the double screening this week, be cool to say hi beforehand.

Out of interest how busy have the screenings you've attended been?

Quite busy with the exception of the really young ones like astroboy and kimba the white lion. I'll be the man with a mask on with a ponytail in the lounge section at the front in a long black trench coat either reading a comic/manga or on my tablet. Taking a half day of work so I'll be there really early.

Last edited:
Anyone going to the live recording of the podcast talking primarily about Your Name on the 9th of May.

I'm jealous of your bfi trips! One I really wanted to try to see was Liz and the Bluebird this weekend past, but sadly found it to be completely sold out by the time I remembered I hadn't bought my ticket... Still it's heartening to hear that the showings are busy as I hope it makes it more likely for them to continue doing more anime seasons in the regular.

Oh I didn't even book for liz and the bluebird as I was originally only interested in classic anime or more artistic anime like something from satoshi kon, but this month I am seeing a few more modern ones from makoto shinkai, but mainly the films I haven't seen before which was the main purpose of this to begin with. I'm sure the BFI will do more seasons I'm pretty sure they've done other anime seasons before.

Back