Anyone collect anime soundtracks on vinyl?

Scrambled Valkyrie

School Idol
Earlier this year I started to collect a new type of anime merch: Vinyl soundtracks. I have a decent amount of soundtrack CDs but the reason I initially started with vinyl was because with the recent vinyl explosion a lot of companies have taken to re-releasing classic movie soundtracks on vinyl that were previously out of print and therefore very expensive on CD. A few niche labels dedicated to anime have popped up doing the same thing. Although it's still an expensive hobby it's nowhere near as bad as the second hand out of print CD prices for old Japan only anime soundtrack CDs so I started by buying some of US label Tiger Lab's releases.

Now however I'm finding more old school vinyl from the 70's and 80's for older series are popping up at reasonable prices on the likes of Ebay and amazon marketplace.
The old releases are often beautiful items for collectors. The gatefolds have lovely artwork including character design images, lots of screenshots and liner notes often featuring interviews and background stuff. Visually they're a treat but they make me wish I could read Japanese! :)

Anyone else on this collecting journey as well?

Last edited:
I must admit I'm very tempted by the nier automata soundtrack on vinyl. Also people would need to have a turntable to get the most out of their purchase so collectors may be limited.

Thankfully I have two.

Not sure if I'd call myself an avid collector of soundtracks, but I have a couple of the newer presses of stuff, offhand I think I've got the following knocking around somewhere:

NGE Soundtrack
Perfect Blue OST (think this was a Tiger Lab release as you mentioned)
Mondo pressing of a few Ghibli Themes
Part 1 of the Nasuicca OST
All 3 parts of the Kizumonogatari OST
Space Dandy sound selection

What table have you got?

As Lemon mentioned, LaserDiscs are also great for artwork/liner notes, they tend to be cheaper as they're more defunct that vinyl. I might have a fair number of these...

My turntable is the Sony PSLX3000. Not the best but it's fine for me.

Yeah that perfect Blue one is a Tiger Lab release. The only other US label I know of doing anime is WRWTFWW (We release whatever the f*** we want records) :)
All the other releases I have are Japanese releases from "back in the day" I also have a decent amount of game soundtracks on vinyl including most of Data discs Sega soundtracks, a few konami ones and other bits and bobs.

As for laserdiscs yeah, often they look really nice as well... I have a few: Akira (Criterion Edition) and the first Tenchi Muyo film "Tenchi Muyo In Love" (Both US imports)

I have a few cool really old vinyl coming through the post. Perhaps I'll post pics if people are interested.

I'm always interested in other peoples stuff! Would be cool if you throw them up in the "What did you receive today?" thread when they turn up.

I got the vinyl your name soundtrack. Can't work out where to display until I reorganize though. I can't see myself specifically going after Vinyl. I have however found myself looking at LaserDisc releases quite frequently. These often appear to have the bonus of beautiful artwork... as well as being relatively easy to find (presumably easier than soundtracks...

Against my better judgment, I put a pre order in for this today

https://www.amazon.co.jp/魔法少女まどか-マギカ-Ultimate-Best-完全生産限定盤-Analog/dp/B0757FSDG9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504466771&sr=8-3&keywords=Ultimate+Best

I'm a huge Madoka fan, so even though I don't own a record player, this will make for a nice collector's item. I plan on getting one of those vinyl frames and hanging it on my wall.
One of us, one of us!

Also super tempted to put in an order for this one for "She is a witch" alone.

Against my better judgment, I put a pre order in for this today

https://www.amazon.co.jp/魔法少女まどか-マギカ-Ultimate-Best-完全生産限定盤-Analog/dp/B0757FSDG9/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1504466771&sr=8-3&keywords=Ultimate+Best

I'm a huge Madoka fan, so even though I don't own a record player, this will make for a nice collector's item. I plan on getting one of those vinyl frames and hanging it on my wall.

One of the problems with the your name soundtrack vinyl set is there is just too much good artwork. I can imagine this may be similar. I just couldn't decide what side of the set to display in a frame. The only remedy I could see would be to buy like 4 sets and display different art in 4 different frames. But that is heading towards crazy country expenditure wise... In fact... just checking the set there is also the booklet that has a further 6 pages that I'd like to display... so 6 copies and 10 frames.... definitely crazy country...

@msgeek Crazy like a fox though! Do it!

Actually, my more reasonable solution to this problem was just swapping it over every few weeks when I felt like it.

@IncendiaryLemon A lot of LPs tend to come with a code for the digital album too nowadays, so it might be worth checking the package for that before you place your second order.

@IncendiaryLemon A lot of LPs tend to come with a code for the digital album too nowadays, so it might be worth checking the package for that before you place your second order.

Whilst I can't see mention of it in the Amazon JP description, the description as a whole is totally barren. I will hold off just in case, although with the vinyl version not coming out until November, it'll be a long wait to find out :p

Dear God.....have I created some kind of monster here? :)

Seriously though. Glad to see that it's not just me who appreciates them (and laserdiscs) for the gatefold artwork. I do also listen to em as well, I only tend to buy ones that I really love the soundtrack for.....unfortunately (or is that fortunately?) that's a lot of titles. There's a bit of a trend in the newer releases that they tend to include posters, prints or lithographs which is nice. Also compounding the problem is a lot of them come in limited edition variants and some of those variants have extra stuff in them.

Some of the game and anime vinyls I've bought that are relatively new releases from 2016 or 2015 that are already out of print are also fetching silly money when sold online so I guess you could also see it as a bit of an investment.

Back