Anime UK News is looking for new writers!

That’s a dangerous thing to say. Just imagine cult lewders writings. “Meets cult standards” “must be eliminated from the cult with extreme prejudice” etc.

Good luck to anyone that actually wants to be a writer on here!

Well since I seem to write mini reviews each time I finish a series on here I may well apply! Do need to practice my writing a bit though as I feel I can be a bit repetitive at times. It does help that I write for a news website at least.

Last edited:
Nice offer we got here, I say that but I imagine I won't go for it. I like to read reviews, I may want to get a kick in the butt and practice writing something, but I'm trusting reviewers a lot less these days, sometimes I go for something with a bad review, based on that really writing reviews no longer has an impact on people

Sadly due to my lack of ability in holding down jobs these past few years the only thing I've ever gotten good at writing are CV's and covering notes! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭

Don't forget everyone, if you're not sure on your ability, give it a go anyway, you may surprise yourself! I know I got this job by sending in a sample review on a whim when I saw a post just like this one, sure I wouldn't actually get it... and to be fair to myself, I wasn't that good to start with either, our editors must been pulling their hair own in my first few reviews, but practice makes... acceptable, and sometimes more! ;)

Don't forget everyone, if you're not sure on your ability, give it a go anyway, you may surprise yourself! I know I got this job by sending in a sample review on a whim when I saw a post just like this one, sure I wouldn't actually get it... and to be fair to myself, I wasn't that good to start with either, our editors must been pulling their hair own in my first few reviews, but practice makes... acceptable, and sometimes more! ;)

I'd also like to stress this! Our editors are super helpful in giving detailed feedback and support where you need it. I know I've improved my writing a metric ton in the past three years, and I couldn't have done it with the help of our excellent editors! Officially, on the email I got in response, I didn't even technically make the grade to pass, but they saw potential and took me aboard anyway, so you really have nothing to lose, even if you think your work isn't up to snuff.

Last edited:
I'd also like to stress this! Our editors are super helpful in giving detailed feedback and support where you need it. I know I've improved my writing a metric ton in the past three years, and I couldn't have done it with the help of our excellent editors! Officially, on the email I got in response, I didn't even technically make the grade to pass, but they saw potential and took me aboard anyway, so you really have nothing to lose, even if you think your work isn't up to snuff.
That gives me hope! I'll submit a review and see what feedback I get.

Out of interest does it need to be a newer anime for reviewing or can I select an older catalogue title?

As much as I enjoy writing and watching anime, I can barely muster the willpower to do much of either these days. Good luck to those that apply though!

Anything is fine! We're primarily looking for your enthusiasm and quality of writing, so whatever you think showcases those best. :)
Thanks for letting me know. Is there a specific length the submission needs to be at in terms of word/page count?

Thanks for letting me know. Is there a specific length the submission needs to be at in terms of word/page count?
There's not particularly any specific length requirements - there's no need to write a thesis for us, but you do want a complete piece of work to show. Whatever feels like a comfortable length for you is generally the best way to go :)

There's not particularly any specific length requirements - there's no need to write a thesis for us, but you do want a complete piece of work to show. Whatever feels like a comfortable length for you is generally the best way to go :)
In that case I'll see how my review ends up and edit it to what I feel is an appropriate length:)

In that case I'll see how my review ends up and edit it to what I feel is an appropriate length:)
Sounds good! That’s how it works when we publish reviews here, too – the advantage of writing for online is that you don’t have to force your writing into column inches!

Sounds good! That’s how it works when we publish reviews here, too – the advantage of writing for online is that you don’t have to force your writing into column inches!
This is certainly a benefit I've enjoyed whilst writing reviews and unboxings for a website Uni project me and some student friends are working on!

@Teapot

A few things I'd like to know. How do you want reviews submitted and will the material you need reviewed be provided. My biggest problems are locations and the fact I'm holding down a full time job. That makes me a little unavailable, especially for tripping and on the hoof journalism. Review writting however I can certainly contribute to if the material is provided.

My experience of reviews include a back catalogue of reader reviews published in Neo Magazine. I can drop a few if you're interested.
They are all 200 approx words long due to the constraints placed by Neo. There are a total of 11 reviews published and if you need to I can look up the issue numbers for reference :)

@Teapot

A few things I'd like to know. How do you want reviews submitted and will the material you need reviewed be provided. My biggest problems are locations and the fact I'm holding down a full time job. That makes me a little unavailable, especially for tripping and on the hoof journalism. Review writting however I can certainly contribute to if the material is provided.

My experience of reviews include a back catalogue of reader reviews published in Neo Magazine. I can drop a few if you're interested.
They are all 200 approx words long due to the constraints placed by Neo. There are a total of 11 reviews published and if you need to I can look up the issue numbers for reference :)

I can field this one!

Review materials are provided 99% of the time by disc, sometimes on BD, sometimes on DVD, depending on the distributor and availability. We do sometimes get private web streams of titles, but this is a rarity, I've only seen it happen twice. Time windows can vary wildly, sometimes we can get a show a month before it comes out, sometimes it can be as little as a week, it once again just depends on availability and distributor.

I can field this one!

Review materials are provided 99% of the time by disc, sometimes on BD, sometimes on DVD, depending on the distributor and availability. We do sometimes get private web streams of titles, but this is a rarity, I've only seen it happen twice. Time windows can vary wildly, sometimes we can get a show a month before it comes out, sometimes it can be as little as a week, it once again just depends on availability and distributor.
And that sometime includes complete series?

Back