Anime UK News Autumn 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Genkina Hito

映画男!!!

The Anime UK News Autumn 2013 Anime Preview Guide is now up and contains a selection of some of the newest titles to hit Japanese television screens over the coming months. Be it high school romance, supernatural tales or super sentai action, there’s quite a lot on offer from over 40 shows. With plenty of trailers to view, making a selection of shows to watch has just been made a little easier.

Man, there's a crap ton of shows there...but looking at them I actually can't see a single thing that sounds like it's worth watching (well, I'll give Pupa a go, but that's it).

From the list, I've chosen to watch, includes existing shows since I haven't been able to watch them well:

Existing shows I'll watch:
Attack on Titan
Genshiken Second Generation
Gosick
Kuroko's Basketball
Servant x Service
Sword Art Online
Watamote

Most likely to show on Crunchyroll:
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata)
BlazBlue: After Memory
Infinite Stratos 2
Kuroko's Basketball 2 (Kuroko no Basket 2)
Little Busters! Refrain
Wanna Be the Strongest in the World

Most likely to show on Daisuki:
Kill la Kill

Unable to watch due to Viz or Funimation:
Freezing: Liberation
Gargantina
High School DxD New
Robotics;Note
The Devil is a Part-Timer!

There are a few there that look interesting, hopefully Crunchyroll streams Blazblue as that's the only definite watch for me at the moment.

I have to take issue with Wagnaria/Working!! being referred to as "not particularly good". Didn't think there was any need for that to be thrown in to the sentence about character designs...

For me it's all about Kuroko's Basketball. I've been itching for that show since I finished the first season - which, by the way, rocked my pants right off me.

Kill La Kill & Kyokai no Kanata will be seen by my eyes as well.

Wanna Be The Strongest In The World's teaser was erm...something.

My list:
Beyond the Boundary (Kyoukai no Kanata) should at least be worth trying out.
Golden Time - Based on a work by Yuyuko Takemiya. Sold already.
Kikou Shoujo wa Kizutsukunai (Unbreakable Machine-Doll) - This actually looks quite interesting.
Kill la Kill - Has to be worth at least trying out.
Pokémon XY - I just hope it's a lot better than Best Wishes.

Also, Pokémon: The Origin gets a special mention as a special I'll be watching.

Marginally more interested in Kill la Kill after the trailer, but I don't know. The premise doesn't sell it to me and, were it not Trigger, I doubt I'd bother.

Probably have a look at Samurai Flamenco for oddity value though.

Blazblue, Valvrave season 2 and Kyoukai no Kanata are the only ones that interest me at the moment. I'll probably end up picking up other shows once I have a look at the VAs and such.

My tentative watch list for the next season:

Tokyo Ravens - The manga version is convoluted but surprisingly fun.
Golden Time - Set at university which could be refreshing, plus it's from the same author as Toradora.
Valvrave 2 - I have to see how far they're going to take it.
Toaru Hikushi e no Koiuta - The Princess and the Pilot was lovely and the world was fascinating. Can't wait to revisit it here.
Kill la Kill - Only because it's Trigger.
Kyoukai no Kanata - About time KyotoAni did something a little less safe. Remains to be seen how far out of their comfort zone this going to be though, but I'm intrigued enough to try it.

My maybe list, dependent on other people's impressions:

Infinite Stratos 2 - First season was breezy, undemanding fun with some surprisingly good action.
Samurai Flamenco - Looks like it has a lot of potential, I'll wait and see on this one.
Pupa - The premise looks intriguing, I don't watch much horror though so I'll see what others think of it.

Finally had a chance to look through this and my tentative shortlist is:
Coppelion
Non Non Biyori
Beyond the Boundary
Unbreakable Machine Doll
Golden Time
Ore no Nounai Sentakushi ga, Gakuen Love Come o Zenryoku de Jama Shiteiru
And maybe Galilei Donna, depending on what it is actually about.
I'm sure this shortlist will change before the start of season since it's currently overloaded with slice-of-life and needs more variety.

Back