Anime template-fill it in and discuss

HWR

CCG’s Reaper
AUKN Staff
Found this online and thought it might make for some interesting discussion.
image.jpeg
Here's mine:
anime.jpg
Favourite: FMAB. Simply a masterpiece, I love it dearly.
Sh*t-tier: Gilgamesh. Hadn't Seen much of this since I watched it back in 2015, my God is it terrible.
Needs S2 or S3: Spice and Wolf. Me wants more Holo and Kraft
10/10: Space Dandy, what can I say baby?
Waifu: Chie Satonaka. Loved the character when I watched P4 recently. So resourceful and strong but also cute and lovable.
Top-tier characters: GITS Stand Alone Complex. I love this set of characters, Batou and the Major are amongst my all-time favs. Makes me wanna see a live-action sequel even more.
Sh*t tier characters: Amnesia. Couldn't give a shiny shite what happened to any of them, they were so bland and...forgettable.
Favourite VA: J. Michael Tatum. Okabe and Sebastian alone were enough to put him near the top, but his repertoire is just too impressive. Both Vic Mignonga and Ian Sinclair were contenders too.
Looking forward to seeing everyone's choices!

Last edited:
4FJKehE.png

Will do one of these at some stage, but I'll need to give it some considerable thought. I'd feel mean naming something as trash tier, as I tend not to finish shows I think are bad, and shaming one based on two or three episodes seems unfair. I also tend not to clamour for sequels to things so much these days - most of the things I might have named have either had a follow-up now or I've just come to think 'actually, that had a fair crack of the whip anyway'.

xlYEmvZ.png

Details here:
Favourite - Easy question. My favourite anime of all-time is Neon Genesis Evangelion. This show not only grabbed my interest from start to finish, but was such a great series to experience. The manga adaptation is also very good.

Shiit-Tier - There are a couple shiit-tier titles I've watched, but Oreimo 2's OVAs were no doubt the worst of the lot. The unfortunate part is that all of this is canon in the light novel source material.

Needs S2 or S3 - This is a challenging question because there are a number of titles I would like to see more of, but I decided to go with Mob Psycho 100 because that show grabbed my interest so much that I would love to see more come out of it. The manga has tons of volumes available but has yet to be localised.

10/10 - Another challenging choice because I actually only gave a select few the high ratings, particularly because I decided they weren't good enough. Some of the 10/10s are obvious films, but Kara no Kyoukai's fifth film Paradox Paradigm was so interesting, complex and pretty epic in some terms that it's worth re-watching out of the 8 films in its series. Honorable mentions also goes for these few: Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, Clannad: After Story, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Great Teacher Onizuka, Macross Plus.

Waifu - There are many anime girls out there that I would love to list on here, in fact I would have probably gone the harem route. Monogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa intrigued me, and it's down to her personality, her appearance, her voice and she's just great, especially in Kizu. Added Bonus: Her chest.

Top-Tier Characters - There's a good variety of great characters, but I decided to stick with the entire cast of Berserk. Berserk's characters each have great character development, especially with the new band of friends Guts receives post-Eclipse. I look forward to the latest chapter when it appears this Winter.

Shiit-Tier Characters - Now I would have mentioned Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero's MC and cast, but never would I thought that the MC's three male characters from Hajimete no Gal would hit this territory. Those three, despite having some good jokes, destroyed the show for me. All three of them are trash, and even worse why on earth would you be friends with someone who likes little girls?

Best VA - Now this question was difficult to the point where I couldn't choose any for the slot. Instead I'm going to brake the rule a bit. Liam O'Brien is my favourite English VA but he hasn't been in any anime role I've watched to my knowledge (games-wise he is in a lot). Crispin Freeman is also another great English VA. For the Japanese side I honestly haven't watched enough to make a decision sadly, but these Japanese VAs are a nice welcome to hear: Chiwa Saito, Junichi Suwabe, Saori Hayami, Takaya Kuroda, Takehito Koyasu, Yui Horie

xlYEmvZ.png

Details here:
Favourite - Easy question. My favourite anime of all-time is Neon Genesis Evangelion. This show not only grabbed my interest from start to finish, but was such a great series to experience. The manga adaptation is also very good.

Shiit-Tier - There are a couple shiit-tier titles I've watched, but Oreimo 2's OVAs were no doubt the worst of the lot. The unfortunate part is that all of this is canon in the light novel source material.

Needs S2 or S3 - This is a challenging question because there are a number of titles I would like to see more of, but I decided to go with Mob Psycho 100 because that show grabbed my interest so much that I would love to see more come out of it. The manga has tons of volumes available but has yet to be localised.

10/10 - Another challenging choice because I actually only gave a select few the high ratings, particularly because I decided they weren't good enough. Some of the 10/10s are obvious films, but Kara no Kyoukai's fifth film Paradox Paradigm was so interesting, complex and pretty epic in some terms that it's worth re-watching out of the 8 films in its series. Honorable mentions also goes for these few: Black Lagoon: The Second Barrage, Clannad: After Story, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Great Teacher Onizuka, Macross Plus.

Waifu - There are many anime girls out there that I would love to list on here, in fact I would have probably gone the harem route. Monogatari's Tsubasa Hanekawa intrigued me, and it's down to her personality, her appearance, her voice and she's just great, especially in Kizu. Added Bonus: Her chest.

Top-Tier Characters - There's a good variety of great characters, but I decided to stick with the entire cast of Berserk. Berserk's characters each have great character development, especially with the new band of friends Guts receives post-Eclipse. I look forward to the latest chapter when it appears this Winter.

Shiit-Tier Characters - Now I would have mentioned Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero's MC and cast, but never would I thought that the MC's three male characters from Hajimete no Gal would hit this territory. Those three, despite having some good jokes, destroyed the show for me. All three of them are trash, and even worse why on earth would you be friends with someone who likes little girls?

Best VA - Now this question was difficult to the point where I couldn't choose any for the slot. Instead I'm going to brake the rule a bit. Liam O'Brien is my favourite English VA but he hasn't been in any anime role I've watched to my knowledge (games-wise he is in a lot). Crispin Freeman is also another great English VA. For the Japanese side I honestly haven't watched enough to make a decision sadly, but these Japanese VAs are a nice welcome to hear: Chiwa Saito, Junichi Suwabe, Saori Hayami, Takaya Kuroda, Takehito Koyasu, Yui Horie
[Sees Berserk under Top-tier characters]
IMG_0940.JPG
I'm currently re-reading the series and it really does get better with all the post Golden Age characters, they're all so well-written. They're easily some of the best written teen characters in manga history.

I used paint and It took a lot longer than I imagined... Wouldnt recommend It.

wgJwp1F.jpg

That's the Yowamushi Pedal Movie. I love the series but found the movie very underwhelming. Haven't watched a single anime I strongly dislike so YowaPeda Movie drew the short straw. :(

I used Word, print screened the finished template and then cropped it using a free photo editor online. From there I downloaded it to my desktop and uploaded it to here. There's likely a better way to do it though

Sticking to anime here rather than manga as that's what the template says. Natsumi came 2nd in the waifu war so she gets that spot. Yoshiko Sakakibara has THE greatest voice. 3rd Gig never :(

fxjgSjB.jpg

I have a similar issue to Prof as I don't tend to watch anything I think looks terrible or not to my tastes, so I don't really have any shows or characters I think are particularly bad. Going to reserve the right to fill those in at a later date.

Also, for all your image manipulating needs (Mac & PC and free in all senses of the word): GIMP - Downloads

Sticking to anime here rather than manga as that's what the template says. Natsumi came 2nd in the waifu war so she gets that spot. Yoshiko Sakakibara has THE greatest voice. 3rd Gig never :(

fxjgSjB.jpg

I have a similar issue to Prof as I don't tend to watch anything I think looks terrible or not to my tastes, so I don't really have any shows or characters I think are particularly bad. Going to reserve the right to fill those in at a later date.

Also, for all your image manipulating needs (Mac & PC and free in all senses of the word): GIMP - Downloads
A third season of Stand Alone Complex would make me truly happy

P4FQJTX.png

Details here:
Winner/Runner-Up

Favourite - My favourite anime of all-time is Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. The original 2003 version was the first proper Anime I ever watched and got me started on what would become an obsession with Anime. Brotherhood of course is the refinement of that original which is now complete and the story as intended. It's story is immaculate, it's characters so memorable in a world so fascinating. It's 11/10 for me because it improved on perfection.

Shiit-Tier - I've seen my fair share of utter crap but some shows bring out legitimate rage in me and Heat Guy J is one such show because it ends up being a massive failure despite having the potential to be something great. The characters are boring, the world uninspired and the stories dull and full of annoyance. I struggled so much with this series that I couldn't even finish it, I decided my time was far more important which when you read the other shows I considered for this spot are Oreimo 2, Rosario+Vampire 2, Hi School Seha Girls, Tenjou Tenge and Air Gear and then learn I watched and finished all of those then I think it really says something when I decided to throw up the white flag for Heat Guy J.

Needs S2 or S3 - Plenty of choices for this one but I ultimately decided on Big Windup. This is one of the very best sport Anime ever made with a truly wonderful cast of characters and a focus on realism in it's portrayal of Baseball. So many sports Anime are shonen focused with over the top special moves and presentation but Big Windup with it's light atmosphere and inviting colour palette instead focuses on realism and as such is often more tense and interesting as a result. The show despite the Manga's continued popularity has just 3 cours to it's name with a TON of the story left not animated. When I see peers like Ace of Diamond come along and get 150 episodes in no time at all it just makes me cry. Other choices I considered were further seasons of Hajime No Ippo and Kaiji.

10/10
- Obviously we all have multiple shows we have given full marks so picking just one other was really hard. I narrowed it down to the two shows I most often have inner debates about to which is second to the FMA franchise. I decided upon Maison Ikkoku here over Eureka Seven simply because less people have seen it as I just love both shows dearly. Maison Ikkoku just makes me happy, I love the characters, the romantic comedy, the settings of 80s Japan, it's just pure gold. At 96 episodes with a Movie and a couple of OVAs it's certainly a long series but it's just so damn charming and full of fun. It's like soul food to me because it just cheers me up whenever I watch it.

Waifu/Husbando - Favourite Female and Male Characters was a bit tough to choose as I have many favourites of both genders. On the male side I landed on my default choice Jean Havoc, the affable loser who made me smile so much while watching my first Anime FMA. I tend to really like the underdogs, the triers and ultimately the losers when it comes to characters in Anime and Havoc was the first one of those I really gravitated to. Especially after the Flame Alchemist episode in the original 2003 series. So while I certainly enjoy characters like Takamura (Hajime No Ippo) or Lupin, Harlock, Guts (Berserk) I just couldn't not go with Havoc. He isn't my avatar practically everywhere online without reason lol. Noa Izumi is a more recent thing, I just like her fun attitude and cute patlabor obsession. She is adorable and badass all at once. I also have a thing for short haired brunettes, I mean I actually bought the Noa Izumi Photobook haha. Runner-Up was Ai Tanabe who is basically just like Noa and I actually somewhat embarrassingly pretty much had a crush on after watching Planetes for the first time haha. Thankfully that only lasted a few days but it was a weird thing that I've never had repeated with any other female character. But she is only in this one series while Noa is in a bunch of stuff so Noa wins out. Other favourites are Nami (One Piece), Winry (FMA) and Revy (Black Lagoon).

Top-Tier Characters - This was actually easier than I thought it would be as I tried to narrow it down to what shows have the Characters that keep me coming back. I wanted to pick something that had multiple entries to emphasize that point. I eventually had a group of 4 of Lupin III, the Leijiverse, Baccano! and Durarara!!. I decided upon Lupin because of it's longevity I mean we have been watching the Lupin crew and their adventures for almost 50 years and the formula just keeps working such is the brilliance of these characters. I just can never get enough of them, always looking forward to whatever TMS has instore for them next. They are everlasting and while I can say similar things about the Leijiverse unfortunately the Leijiverse is more spread out with Characters not always appearing unlike Lupin. While Baccano much like Durarara has an immensely fun variable cast but just doesn't have the same stature.

Shiit-Tier Characters - While there are many characters I don't like it's actually quite rare for me to hate a character. The main contenders here for me were Kira Yamato, Sasuke Uchiha and Frieza. These are the characters of most importance to a show that I just could not stand. Still this was actually quite easy because only one of those characters is the protagonist of their show. Kira Yamato is an annoying contradicting whiny little bitch and I put up with this asshole for 50 episodes in Gundam Seed. He would whine at everyone to stop fighting all the while racking up a horrendous headcount of his fellow countrymen. He is god hand femto candidate material and I hate him! lol. In fact Kira is the reason to blame for me having seen so little of the Gundam universe of Anime even now, thankfully that is going to change soon but for years I avoided Gundam such was my hatred for Kira. Seed is heralded as the comeback Gundam needed back when it aired and while I'm glad it was successful in that regard I still find it baffling that this guy led that charge. As for the runner-ups Sasuke is just a brooding similarly whiny bitch baby and Frieza is just as annoying as shiit.

Best VA - This is one of those where I kind of just always default to my first favourite. Crispin Freeman has a large body of work in Anime and Games and the reason I think I gravitate to him is because I just enjoy the tone of his voice and I always feel he makes great characters that much greater, elevating the enjoyment level when watching the escapades of Zelgadis in Slayers, Shizuo in Durarara or Tylor in Captain Tylor. I think he has decent range as well, it's not huge but often times he is in roles where it takes me time to even realize it's him which is more than I can say for some actors *cough*Greg Ayres*cough*. Steven J Blum and J. Michael Tatum are both fantastic also.

Thanks to NormanicGrav for the details template

Last edited:
image.jpeg
Favorite - Overlord
**** Tier - Shuffle (God I hate Shuffle)
Needs a 3rd Season - Spice & Wolf
10/10 - Spice & Wolf
Waifu - Kagari from Witch Craft Works = the perfect woman
Top Tier Chars - Overlord
**** Tier Chars - Rin from Shuffle - the biggest piece of **** character in anime
Best VA - Brina Palencia (Holo's VA)

Last edited:
Back