Anime related to cooking

teonzo

Straw Hat Pirate
Since I told you that my actual main passion is pastry (and cooking in general), I would like to ask if you can name all the anime you know where cooking is involved as a main or recurrent theme. I'm a bit maniac and like to collect all movies/series on this subject.
So far I know (remember now):

Yumeiro Pâtissière
As far as I know there are no official releases outside Japan, I'm almost tempted to get a bootleg.

Ristorante Paradiso
No official releases outside Japan neither for this one.

Yakitate!! Japan
Thanks Maestro, I never heard about this until few minutes ago. I just gave a look and couldn't find any releases outside Japan, seems like a curse.

Burst Angel
Kyohei is a student at a culinary school and cooks for the girls. But honestly I found this series quite mediocre.

Martian Successor Nadesico
Bought the DVDs, but still haven't watched them.

Thanks!

Teo

Antique Bakery has a very nice US release from Nozomi. A lot of people write it off as a boys love series, just because one of the main characters is homosexual, but it's actually very charming and has a lot of focus on the pastries the characters sell in their shop. I enjoyed it, and if you like cakes you probably will as well. It made me want to try some of the flavours they came up with...

Yakitate Japan's anime is criminally still not available in an English release, but the manga version is, if you fancy trying that. If you extend the search to manga titles there are several available in English.

R

Rui said:
Antique Bakery has a very nice US release from Nozomi. A lot of people write it off as a boys love series, just because one of the main characters is homosexual, but it's actually very charming and has a lot of focus on the pastries the characters sell in their shop. I enjoyed it, and if you like cakes you probably will as well. It made me want to try some of the flavours they came up with...

Nice, I'll buy this with my next order. I'm mostly intrigued by the flavours matter, I didn't think a series would focus even on the real details of pastries, so I'm curious on what they came up. About the homosexual stuff, it's not a problem if it is a secondary theme. Actually if I wasn't able to tolerate gay stuff then I would be already mad, since professional kitchens are probably the place with the most gay jokes, teases and so on. Simply I'm not interested in romantic stuff in general (this why I got bored trying to watch Maison Ikkoku), with few exceptions like Only Yesterday or 5 Cm per Second.

Rui said:
Yakitate Japan's anime is criminally still not available in an English release, but the manga version is, if you fancy trying that. If you extend the search to manga titles there are several available in English.

Usually I'm not interested in manga (or comics in general), but I would do an exception for this matter. If you can make some names I'd be grateful.

Thanks to all the other suggestions too, all the titles seem really interesting for my tastes. I'll try to search for the official DVDs, hoping there are Western releases.

Another question. Searching for these series on MAL I found another one that seems really interesting: Bartender. Is this any good?

Teo

Hurrah, I'm sure Antique Bakery will be perfect. They even feature some of the cakes in the booklet which comes with the set.

teonzo said:
Usually I'm not interested in manga (or comics in general), but I would do an exception for this matter. If you can make some names I'd be grateful.

Sticking to the most food-related which haven't yet been mentioned then, Fumi Yoshinaga is the lady behind Antique Bakery, but some of her other stuff also available in English reveals that her love of cooking runs deep. Flower of Life is a slice of life series which has some very memorable recipes slipped into the story (mm, pumpkin cake...). There's another readily available book of hers, which I haven't read, but it would definitely fit your search:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Not-Love-But-De ... 759531870/

Drops of God isn't strictly about food (rather, wine) but if you haven't read that it's great too, and it does also feature some cooking in the background. You might also find the coverage of Italian wine and culture entertaining ;)

R

animefreak17 said:
MrLaserSharkKH said:
animefreak17 said:
There was an embarrassing episode of bleach with cooking in it and let me tell you that episode was so bad

That was Naruto

Yes there was a naruto episode too but the bleach one was a bout making a cake

*Looks Up

Ah, Anime Only, no wonder I've never heard of it before, One Set behind the one this episode appears on!

teonzo said:
Another question. Searching for these series on MAL I found another one that seems really interesting: Bartender. Is this any good?

I've watched a bit of that. It's okay, but it's very low-key - pretty much what you'd expect from a seinen series about a man who fixes people's problems by mixing them a drink. Sadly, the main character is not voiced by Norio Wakamoto, which would have helped matters substantially.

teonzo said:
Yakitate!! Japan
Thanks Maestro, I never heard about this until few minutes ago.
Then I am very pleased to have brought it to your attention! It is an extremely fun series imo, although it has a lot of word-play jokes for which your mileage may vary.

Back