Anime packaging heads up

Dracos

Dragon Knight
Melonpan and I were sort of discussing this in another thread and I thought it might be worth its own topic.

Have you ever been sat on a internet store and thought I wish they would tell me how this is packaged, and then either not bought it or spent ages going around the net. Often I sit there and think what’s the difference between two different priced versions of the same set, is it just a repackage or is there some special gift/feature that is worth the extra.

I know some people have there loves and hates when it comes to packaging M-lock cases seem to bring out a lot of opinions, and that some people will only ever buy single discs. I myself seem to buy mainly the single discs of things I know I want as they come out, but for older stuff I quite like the thinpacks as they take up less room.

So I was hoping we could use this thread to ask about and give each other the heads up on some of the box set packaging out there and if there is any difference in the DVD product if you buy a cheaper version e.g less extras.

It never really bothers me, most of my series are just satndard singles or boxsets, i tend to buy them for the anime rather than any free stuff that may appear. So for me its about the price.

Although I if its a choice between a site I know and a new one I am not sure of I'm usually willing to part with a little extra cash

The AnimeOnDVD forums have a cover-art section, which shows the.. well.. cover art for all upcoming releases, but as it's thousands of pictures long, and the search function on forums is pretty rubbish usually, it's hard to find anything more than a few weeks/months old.

If anyone has any questions about how anything is packaged, then this'd be the best thread to do that in =).

Okay i'll get the ball rolling with my idiocy, what does m lock mean(behold my ingnorance)? is it where you get all the releaces in one large dvd case (like with excel saga) or does it refer to a specific type of multi disc set (such as those ones where you get one disc over another).

As for preferences i'm not to fussed aslong as you can get the disc out easily eg not feel like your going to break the disc in two to get it, I wonder why theres no standard dvd locking mechanism (my favourite is the ones where you push the center and the 2 pegs raise the dvd).
I also prefer to go for boxsets over singles if available (plus if you time it right you can pick up the first disk cheaply to see what the series is like) so i have all the discs in one place and you don't have to hunt down an elusive volume.

Insanity prelude said:
Okay i'll get the ball rolling with my idiocy, what does m lock mean(behold my ingnorance)? is it where you get all the releaces in one large dvd case (like with excel saga) or does it refer to a specific type of multi disc set (such as those ones where you get one disc over another).
M-Lock refers to the the type you mentioned, ADV's Excel Saga box set is one (As you said). Also the Anime-Legend collections are M-Lock. They are pretty much just expanded DVD cases and if they are good or not vary across the animu fandom. Personally, I'd rather not get them, But if I had to, I would.

First image I found on Google of one. Please excuse it being Spinal Tap.
press01.jpg

McIcy said:
It never really bothers me, most of my series are just satndard singles or boxsets, i tend to buy them for the anime rather than any free stuff that may appear. So for me its about the price.

I am pretty much the same on older stuff the price normally wins out, but every so often something gets into my head and says go for the more expensive one. At the moment I seem to be unable to resist the R1 Uncut Naruto box sets with the head bands and figures. The R1 Haruhi special editions were worth getting, the box with the first is something special compared to the standard art boxes we see and you end up with 4 CD's by the end, also there is an extra DVD with each with the episodes in broadcast order.

Jayme said:
M-Lock refers to the the type you mentioned, ADV's Excel Saga box set is one (As you said). Also the Anime-Legend collections are M-Lock. They are pretty much just expanded DVD cases and if they are good or not vary across the animu fandom. Personally, I'd rather not get them, But if I had to, I would.

First image I found on Google of one. Please excuse it being Spinal Tap.
[/quote]

Thanks those single disc a page ones aren't so bad but the 2 discs a page ones can be awkward.

Not to fond of the M lock style of packaging tbh but it wouldn't put me off buying a title.
I'm all for the skinny dvd packaging purely because of the space regular dvds take up.

Back