Anime-On-Line cause of bank fraud? Edit: probably not

cantstraferight

Completely Average High School Student
EDIT:

Being no one else has had any problems I'm guessing my problem lies else where.

=============================================

I was wondering if anyone else he had been the victim of credit card fraud after using Anime-On-line.com?

I like the site and I use them a lot but I've had fraudulent activity on my account twice in the past 6 months and this site is the only one I use that's not a big company.

I have used them for over 5 years and never had an issue. Also since they are the sales arm of MVM I highly doubt they would be involved in anything of the sort. Whatever the cause of your problems, I don't think it's them.

I have also had this happen twice to me in the last 9 months. The most recent one was this week. Although i have no real clue as to how as i only use amazon, the book depository and paypal online. But now that you mention it i have used anime-on-line several times during this period. What makes you think this could be the problem other than the fact its not a big company?

Can't say I've ever had a problem with them.

Assuming you're sure you don't have any keyloggers / trojans on your computer, having your card details stolen at the pay-by-card fuel pumps and cash machines (especially ones not at banks) is a possibility. As far as I'm aware the staff at online retailers will never see or have access to your card details.

I very much doubt it, I've used Anime On Line countless times and I've never once had an issue with them. It's more likely that someone's got hold of your paypal account (if you have one) or cloned your card at a petrol station/non-bank cash point.

I have had to cancel 2 cards in just over 2 years - 1 last February and 1 in April this year.

Have you used Forbidden Planet International? There are some sites that say they are linked to card fraud,

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... ?t=1629415

http://tavern.zunder.org.uk/tav/viewtopic.php?p=24941

I know for certain that the card I cancelled last February I used both online & offline at FPI. The card I cancelled this April I may have used offline at FPI but I am not sure - the shop nearest where I live closed down last April/May time and I only got that card in April that year.

With regards to Anime-on-Line, I use them once or twice a year but like the above posts I don't think it is them.

Its not so much that I think that they are stealing card numnbers but more that they may have a leak or an employee stealing the numbers.

The reason they stand out to me is they give you that little recept that says cardholder not presant, which makes me thing they are manually entering the card details into a card machine rather than using a card service. If someone is manualy entering your numbers into a machine its easy for them to write them down and use them or sell them on.

Cardholder not present just means it's an internet order (the banks require them to flag this as it shows that if you later put in a claim, they never met you so it might have been someone else using your card). Where I work, when we take credit card orders over the internet they are "cardholder not present" even though our payment system is hosted by Barclaycard and we have absolutely no way to steal the data. Ordering over the phone or even in a physical location is often a lot less secure (especially the phone as the person taking your info can just copy it down). I did have my card details stolen once paying for a meal in a pub! They cloned my card details very effectively. As it was a new card and I watch my statements like a hawk online I nipped it in the bud very quickly that time.

I have not had any problems with Anime On-Line myself, though I'm sure if you drop them a line asking for confirmation of their security procedures they will set your mind at ease.

R

I've never had a bad experience after using Anime On Line before. As someone with experience of using card machines, I don't blame them at all for using CNP transactions. These will probably be stopped by the banks soon anyway, they have been scaremongering about CNP to squeeze more money out of retailers for a while now, but it's no different from using your card to pay for something over the phone - something which millions of people do every day.

I don't think anyone can ever really know who defrauded their card if it wasn't obvious. I had my suspicions about a local shop after having £30 charged to my card, but there was no real proof and I got my money back from the card issuer.

Anime On Line isn't the biggest operation in the world. There's no nameless minion to filch card numbers. It's more a labour of love than a business. I can't see that as the source of the fraud.

I've been caught out three times, once after using Amazon, one time a random Paypal transaction I had no knowledge of appeared on my statement, and most recently following a Right Stuf transaction.

I blew my gasket at the Amazon transaction, swore never to use them again.

But recently I've been thinking that it's misplaced to blame retailers. It's an unsafe environment we shop in, falsely made to seem safe by a padlock in the corner of a browser window. Keyloggers, trojans, pop-ups, all sorts of things go on. It's amazing what thieves can accomplish just by knowing the smallest bit of information.

Everytime you use your card in a shop, you risk someone taking your details, you ever lose sight of your card for even ten seconds (usually happens in a petrol station) your card gets cloned. Check your facebook account? What are the privacy settings. All those questions that telephone bankers ask for your security, date of birth, mother's maiden name, all sorts of stuff that we're happy to share on Facebook.

Best solution I can think of is to just piss your bank off. At least once a year, maybe every six months, just phone em up, cancel your card, get them to send you a replacement. New number, will be safer for a little while. Don't wait for the expiry date.

Very often they don't even need your details. They just use brute force and try millions of random numbers on all sorts of websites until something gets a hit.

Its also very unlikely that the transaction immediatey prior is the one where they got your details. It can be months after.

Either way this is why you should never ever ever use a debit card for mail order.

My CC details did get leaked a month or so ago; resulting in three transactions being made on PayPal with a card that hadn't even been on PayPal's system. The payments were all for virtual goods.

No idea how my details got leaked, though. It could of been one of many stores... assuming it was a payment made to a store that resulted in the fraud.

Just Passing Through said:
Anime On Line isn't the biggest operation in the wI've been caught out three times, once after using Amazon, one time a random Paypal transaction I had no knowledge of appeared on my statement, and most recently following a Right Stuf transaction.

I had this once, the bank didn't recognise it as a paypal payment nor did it tally up with previous payments through paypal.

Rui said:
Cardholder not present just means it's an internet order (the banks require them to flag this as it shows that if you later put in a claim, they never met you so it might have been someone else using your card). Where I work, when we take credit card orders over the internet they are "cardholder not present" even though our payment system is hosted by Barclaycard and we have absolutely no way to steal the data.

What I'm talking about is you get a receipt that looks like it has been printed of from a card machine that you would find in a store, and on it it says

Keyed
Customer not presant

This to me would say that my numbers were keyed in manualy by someone.

Aha :)

Well, it's possible if they're doing it with a handheld device, though no more so than anywhere taking your number. I guess it's something to keep an eye on...

R

Being no one else has had any problems I'm guessing my problem lies else where.

Its just annoying when you've been buying things on-line for 7 years without any problems then twice in 6 months you have someone getting your details.

The thing that really drives me nuts is that someone has outsmarted me and I'm not even sure how they did it.

If they get shop lifted for their hardcopy, that is a common method of losing your number.
The hard copy reciept is the security risk, rather than the online bit.

Had one card canceled this year, was HMV I'd last shopped at, used A-o-L before without any problems.

Back