Anime Limited's Gurren Laggan On Bluray

cyborg 002

School Idol
Does anyone remember what episodes on the Bluray that are spliced together with the DVD material?

I have not bought Gurren Laggan ob Bluray yet.

Is the DVD material on the bluray noticable?

Episode 5 @20:47 - 20:56, Episode 7 @ 8:29 - 8:42 and episode 10 @ 17:27. I don't think there are any more since I've not watched my retail discs, and nobody has reported anything else.
The spliced scenes aren't that long as you can see, but they do stand out like a sore thumb. The video quality is pretty good otherwise, although there's noticable banding in quite a few episodes which I'll put down to the materials Aniplex supplied.
The video issues are pretty easy to overlook but I'd say the Japanese audio issue is the killer for me, but nobody else seems to take notice of it so chances are you won't either. (The sound effects and music appear to be mono as downmixing the Eng/Fr audio produces the same result.)

The release has it's issues - albeit out of Anime Limited's hands for the most part. They had to work with the materials they were provided with and I'd say they did a pretty good job all things considered. For the price you'll pay for the complete standard BD I'd totally say go for it. You're not really losing out on a lot, and Gurren really is an amazing series if you haven't seen it before. Trust me, I watched this release three times in two weeks and I still can't wait to jump back into the series again :)

That started to sound too much like a sales pitch for my liking towards the end...

Last edited by a moderator:
When I watched my copy I was aware that I should be noticing 3 DvD footage sections but as it turned out I only actually spotted 1 instance of it, that being the Episode 10 section.

Thanks for the info.

I have Gurren Laggan on reg 4 DVD from Madman.

It's one of my favorite anime.

From what I undertand Anime Limited does not subtitle the theme songs either?

cyborg 002 said:

Only skimmed it, but no the theme songs didn't have any translations.

In regards to the DVD footage spliced in. What bugs me with that, is the issue isn't there on the Japanese release which came out first. So why has AL been sent materials that have missing footage? Was it truly a mistake or was it done deliberately. I would assume it was the former rather than the latter.

cyborg 002 said:
There's no subtitles for the OP/ED/Insert songs. As I understand it, both the JP BD Box and AniplexUSA's domestic singles lack them too. Maybe they couldn't get the rights to use the English translation or something.

Emulsion said:
In regards to the DVD footage spliced in. What bugs me with that, is the issue isn't there on the Japanese release which came out first. So why has AL been sent materials that have missing footage? Was it truly a mistake or was it done deliberately. I would assume it was the former rather than the latter.
I'm inclined to say that it was a mistake, but considering the fact that AL didn't even get a final mix of the Japanese audio (and that's defective too) who knows.
It would've been interesting to see how the English dub fared had they used the Stereo PCM tracks from Aniplex rather than Bandai's 5.1 upmix.

@Mangaranga.
The AoA domestic releases, as I understand it the discs are the Japanese discs just with English menus, but do you know if they at least added a signs track to go with the English audio like AL did? So at least the on screen text gets translated.

Emulsion said:
@Mangaranga.
The AoA domestic releases, as I understand it the discs are the Japanese discs just with English menus, but do you know if they at least added a signs track to go with the English audio like AL did? So at least the on screen text gets translated.
I have no idea at this stage I'm afraid. I'm still waiting on my copies of volumes 1 - 3. I only heard about the lack of song subs from reading the bluray.com forums.
Considering they've been doing domestic releases for a lot longer now and know what a standard release should be like, I'd like to think that they've included a signs track.
They can be a bit unpredictable though I suppose considering they seem to have dropped subbing OP/ED/Insert songs now during episodes and only subbing the Creditless OP/EDs. (They did this for Valvrave/Nisekoi/SAO Extra)

Mangaranga said:
I have no idea at this stage I'm afraid. I'm still waiting on my copies of volumes 1 - 3.

OK. Let us know once you have them please.

Opening and Closing songs not getting translated doesn't completely bother me as I skip them anyway. Plus I have a few sound track cd's which obviously have no translations. Saying this I would prefer the translation was there especially considering the fact they have been there on DVDs for years.

It's not having relevant onscreen text along with songs that are part of the story not getting translated that bothers me. Gurren has similar onscreen text too Kill la Kill, so it would be nice to see that getting translated at least.

Back