UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

João Gomes

Thousand Master
Worse, as it's over €150 it's liable for duty as well as vat.

Not just VAT, but customs duty too because it's over €150, I did the math on it when it was up for order, and even with free shipping and the 10% discount it came to a total of €258 when you add in VAT, duty and fedex charges.

This was with irish VAT (23%) and duty (12%) rates, and with whatever the euro~sterling exchange rate was at the time.

My bad, customs duty is what I meant when I wrote "processing".

And yeah, FedEx charges, oh man. This had to be evangelion. It's gonna hurt.

Relaxo

Straw Hat Pirate
Worse, as it's over €150 it's liable for duty as well as vat.
Partly true.

At least from Rightstuf I never paid duties for Manga, Novel, DVD, Blu-ray or Soundtracks as they declated them as...
Harmonized Tariff Number "4901990093" for "PRINTED BOOK (VAT exempt/reduced inmany jurisdictions including CA/UK/EU)"
and "8523499000" for "RECORDED OPTICAL MEDIA FORREPRODUCING REPRESENTATIONS OFINSTRUCTIONS, DATA, SO"
Both have 0% duty on top of the VAT ;)

However, as one of my orders contained a small Ritsu Bag ( Ritsu Right Stuf Anime Mascot Drawstring Bag ) they charged me a few pennies duties for this.

I don't know about duty rates for Vinyl and board games - but I guess you wouldn't order THAT many ;)

Note:
UP1 used "Harmonized Tariff Number" 85234910 for DVD/Blu-ray - also 0% duties.

Last edited:

Luna

Death Scythe
Books have zero duty in Germany, but optical media has 3.5%. (I paid those a few times directly with the customs.)
I think there were also differences by country, just like how tax rates are different.

Those Irish numbers make it sound like forwarding it via Germany may be cheaper even with shipping from Germany to Ireland....

EmanonMidori

Completely Average High School Student
So I just received my German Edition of NGE (which is basically the UE sans paperweight and NERV card) and it's really dissapointing.
The moss rubber nipples are not very snug and the discs can come off easily. One of them came loose in transit and flew around in the mediaholder. A friend even had three discs flying around. The artcards are printed on both sides, unlike the Korean version. The worst is this artwork:
EUtwHG2XkAc75qz

Here the image was split and printed on one artcard, not foldable. This means it is impossible to see or frame the entire artwork. Very lazy.

Boy am I dissapointed. First the whole zavvi debacle with my damaged CE and now this (´。_。`)

At least the book is smyth-sewn.

Last edited:

Dai

Thousand Master
So I just received my German Edition of NGE (which is basically the UE sans paperweight and NERV card) and it's really dissapointing.
The moss rubber nipples are not very snug and the discs can come off easily. One of them came loose in transit and flew around in the mediaholder. A friend even had three discs flying around. The artcards are printed on both sides, unlike the Korean version. The worst is this artwork:
EUtwHG2XkAc75qz

Here the image was split and printed on one artcard, not foldable. This means it is impossible to see or frame the entire artwork. Very lazy.

Boy am I dissapointed. First the whole zavvi debacle with my damaged CE and now this (´。_。`)

At least the book is smyth-sewn.
Damn, that's a shame. Can you share any photos? I'm curious to see the regional variations of this set.

Dai

Thousand Master
Sure. I think the linked reddit post has some good pictures. Or do you want to see something specific? For example, the unclean cutouts or the groove-like texture on the LCL on the back?View attachment 21959View attachment 21960
Eek, the quality control on those disc trays doesn't really scream 'premium item'. Thanks for the pictures. I'll be interested to see how that back cover looks in person when my copy of the UK one arrives (whenever that is😅).

EmanonMidori

Eek, the quality control on those disc trays doesn't really scream 'premium item'. Thanks for the pictures. I'll be interested to see how that back cover looks in person when my copy of the UK one arrives (whenever that is😅).
No problem. I'm thinking of asking for replacement discs or even returning the whole thing. Cost me 200€, but for that money I could buy the UK Standard Edition and the French version (which will be just like the Italian Dynit version). Although my French skills are already very, very rusty.

EmanonMidori

I've been seriously considering cancelling mine and buying the Zavvi CE, this is just pushing me ever closer to that...

On a positive note, On-Gaku has shipped.
I wouldn't trust the packaging from Zavvi. My NGE CE was my first and last order from them. The refund process took almost a month. Pure torture. And since AL decided to make the CE exclusive to zavvi, my only other choice would be to order the Australian CE from Madman. I can't find anything about their packaging quality though....

Has anyone here ordered from Madman? If so, can you tell me how they usually pack things? Do they use bubble wrap?

Girls with Guns

Cardcaptor
Fortunately my Zavvi NGE CE arrived over here in the US with not a scratch or ding on the outside, but I guess I'm going to have to open my set to inspect the inside contents; there is an issue with the US set having booklets with multiple pages of smeared and faded text, and all this talk about filthy pizza-finger-smudged discs... :oops:

EmanonMidori

Here is an Unboxing of the German Edition. The issues with the disc mounts become immediately apparent.

Edit: Here is another one, which is much worse. Do we have nsfl tags here?

Last edited:

fathomlessblue

Student Council President
Sure. I think the linked reddit post has some good pictures. Or do you want to see something specific? For example, the unclean cutouts or the groove-like texture on the LCL on the back?View attachment 21959View attachment 21960

Thanks for the pictures/unboxing video. I don't actually have a huge issue with the texture of the box as a concept, but your picture does make it look like it's suffering from banding :)

More worrying is that inlet tray, which based on the video is giving me a flashbacks to AL's Gurren Lagann UE box from years past. Obviously, the tray itself isn't actually falling apart, but those untreated surfaces look likely to tear and scuff easily, in addition to the potential loose disk situation. The bright orange also doesn't help, given that it reminds me of Funimation's case for Eva 2.22, which easily peeled off like paint, although in this situation that's probably an unfair comparison. Still, I hope the UK release uses better materials.