Anime Extravagance

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
What is then most you've spent on an anime DVD, model, costume or item? Until now it was just about £50 for a model or boxset, but as Chaos has alluded to in other posts recently bought something from the London Expo that kinda put that to shame. ADV's promotional banner for Rahxephon.
A little history about the deal. It all started about 3 year ago, back when ADV was still a viable (if troubled) company. Was discussing with Hugh (from ADV) of both the merits Rahxephon and the fact that there was so little Rahxephon merchandise. Since I had been collecting the all the merchandise I could find on ebay and other sources then made some comment about the last piece I needed would be the large poster behind him. He thought about it for a second and said, "make me an offer". I did, he made a counter offer, and we came to a kind of agreement. The problem was he needed it to promote the up coming Rahxephon boxset, but I could pick it up after the next expo. Problem was after that the scroll got caught in the mechanism so it took another three expo’s to get fixed, after which ADV went under and Hugh wasn’t quite sure if he could sell it. Then Hugh was leaving ADV which meant I would have to re negociate with the guy from Lace (his name is Howard and is very nice).
And finally on the weekend of the October expo managed to come to terms with Howard (and got a few DVD boxsets) for the price of a PS3 and a game or two. At the same time managed to get it signed by Masahiko Minami and Masahiro Ando. And you should have seen their faces when I unrolled it. Gob smacked to say the least. But got them to sign the poster and Masahiro Ando even drew a little picture of Ayato on it for me
But what have you spend more that you posibly should have on, or waht have you track to the ends of the earth to find?

There is much to discuss about the pictures you have posted.

Is Andrew's expression in any way related to the SotS subtitle on the screen in the background?

Also, what is it like to own both a Dyson and a picture of a red squirrel?

So can I just confirm that you paid £300 for that poster? Because if that's right then there's not much point in me posting in the thread, because that comfortably beats any kind of extravagance I've gone to or would go to. ^^;

He got a few DVD boxed sets thrown in as well I think... I hope.

I've never really been that extravagant when it comes to merchandise. I imagine when I get to a level where I can comfortably understand spoken Japanese I'll be buying all manner of expensive boxed sets direct from Japan... I'd have bought the Dirty Pair boxed set already, if I could find any new copies and if the pound hadn't taken such a dive recently. I've certainly considered importing the Bubblegum Crisis Blu-rays.

ilmaestro said:
So can I just confirm that you paid £300 for that poster? Because if that's right then there's not much point in me posting in the thread, because that comfortably beats any kind of extravagance I've gone to or would go to. ^^;
Over that yes. Still curious to hear what you got.

PS if any one want the Guvyer or Chobits version I heard from Howard he would be willing to negotiate

hopeful_monster said:
PS if any one want the Guvyer or Chobits version I heard from Howard he would be willing to negotiate

Do you know what kinda of figure they are looking for those two posters, I just let a friend know about the guyver poster as he maybe interested.

hopeful_monster said:
ilmaestro said:
Over that yes. Still curious to hear what you got.
Well, on one hand I salute you and say congrats for going for something that you really wanted, on the other hand I just have to say ohmyholywtfonabicycle. ^^;

I think the biggest anime extravagance I go to is my monthly Amazon Japan order, I tend to be a bit more outlandish with video games, £250 for the limited edition of Valkyrie Profile 2, importing Japanese consoles at launch and such.

I've spent over 500 quid in Samurai X tv series, as I imported it from the US paying 70% import duty + postage to Brazil.
I really love Samurai X and it was the first legal anime I've ever bought.
Other than that, I've bought Evangelion and a bootleged version of Chobits and Hellsing. I know better how to spot bootlegs now though.

The most I have spent on a dvd is the Escaflowne Box Set.

The one I am referring to is the 2002 one which came with an exclusive Black Escaflowne figure - cost me around £145.00.

I also got Escaflowne - The Movie Limited Edition at the same time.

mangaman74 said:

The one I am referring to is the 2002 one which came with an exclusive Black Escaflowne figure - cost me around £145.00.

Wow....where did you buy that? Mine cost half as much.

Edit: Just checked, & mine was £101.74 ($156.53 on 17/8/02), which included postage from the US. The postage was about $19.50. The exchange rate was mediocre then. :/

So, where did you buy yours?

Mutsumi said:
mangaman74 said:

Wow....where did you buy that? Mine cost half as much.

Edit: Just checked, & mine was £101.74 ($156.53 on 17/8/02), which included postage from the US. The postage was about $19.50. The exchange rate was mediocre then. :/

So, where did you buy yours?

It would probably be either Disc Emporium (no longer trading) or United Publications. I think it is probably the former as they tended to keep prices the same whether the pound was strong or weak against the dollar.

I now tend to use either United Publications, Axel Music or playusa.

You bought it from a UK retailer? No wonder you paid more for it. We may get the odd bargain now, but back then was the dark age of anime prices in the UK.

What's the name of the really really really really expensive UK importer, they have pretty good stock levels and get stuff to you quickly but massively overcharge? Couldn't even say for sure that they are still around now. They started stocking Pocky about five years ago. Can't remember much else about them. ^^;

Back