Anime cels - how can I tell it's not a fake?

benlee1083

Completely Average High School Student
I want to buy a cheap anime cel for my uni project. How can I tell that an anime cel is real? Is there any way of authenticating anime cels?

I suppose it would be by buying it from a reputable dealer, but other than that I have no idea unless they come with some sort of certificate of authenticity

From ones that I've seen (on the internet, ON reputable sources), the artist will sometimes sign it (if he/she knew that the cel would possibly go onto sell).

Then again, you could be talking about a random cel which someone drew, having no idea that it could once be sold-- well... I suppose that could be replicated really. :?

Some cels can be accompanied by relevent sketches that the cel was traced from. It'll be difficult to tell for online ones, but if you can see them in real life, they'll look ultra blobby on the reverse side.

There was a Japanese print and anime cel dealer at the Expo, but I can't find their promo card... I think it was these guys but there's no sign of anime on their site:
http://www.japanesegallery.co.uk/default.php

They had some cool looking stuff from older shows like Ashita no Joe and Blackjack. 8)

Back