Anime and fanart collection

panda_sama

Hikikomori
Hi guys, I'm new to the forums and pretty much grew up on anime during my childhood. It's kind of sad that real life gets in the way so I'm a bit out of date but I do enjoy attending the odd convention whenever I can.

How about a little topic to start off? How many of us here have a big collection of anime or game-related fanart? :D

I have been to quite a few anime conventions around the world and I like to mostly collect prints, cards and pins of fanart from great artists :D !

Anybody else here enjoy collecting merchandise? and what's your favourite anime or game?

Hello Panda-Sama, welcome to the forum!

I don't exactly collect merchandise but there's a few on this forum who do (Check out the photo edition of "what did you receive today" thread).

I do have a couple of bits and bobs, purchased two figures while on Holiday. I also have some plushes from years ago and a few prints/posters/cards I was given when making purchases. I did buy this real nice Totoro print on a whim at a convention once though.

My favorite Anime .. better to list my top lot in no particular order it as I can never pick one:
Nausicaa
Ouran Highschool Host Club
Nozaki-Kun
Steins Gate
Baccano
Barakamon

Favorite Game, anything Bioware..they sucker me in like no tomorrow.

Yourself?

I have a massive doujinshi collection, so I suppose that I really love collecting fan art :D

It's also fun to visit artist alleys at non-Japanese cons to pick up goodies if someone happens to be drawing for a series I like. I'm too shy to have actually commissioned anything in person, though I did online once. Official merchandise is also a weakness of mine.

My favourites change frequently but I'm partial to Sengoku Basara (pretty much anything involving history, actually, regardless of how realistic it is) and trashy otome games. Borrowing from Danielle's avatar I also have a special love for Shoujo Kakumei Utena.

R

I don't have a lot of merch personally. I have 4 wall scrolls and 1 figure. I'd love to buy more figures but for now I feel that buying anime boxsets is a better investment. I also don't know where I'd put them, I don't have a lot of room. As for my favourite shows, if I were to narrow it down to 5 I'd probably say Madoka Magica, Steins;Gate, Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, K-On and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Dannielle said:
Yourself?

Thanks for the warm welcome! I enjoy collecting fanart as well and have a drawer filled with prints, cards, pins (e.g death note fanart, naruto fanart, phoenix wright, one piece). Also have a small shelf of figurines - professor layton, more naruto. It's not a crazy collection but it makes my room look more interesting haha.

I actually share quite a few of those favourite series already mentioned here! FMA, one piece, ouran high school host club, anything by Hayao Miyazaki (he is my god!), full metal panic, Kodomo No Omocha are but few of my likes. Currently going through Fairy tail and seeing a lot of filler episodes.

I am a complete sucker for games like Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Mario, Phoenix Wright. League of Legends probably sucking up most of my time now haha.

Welcome to the forum !

Don't collect too much, I have an attack on titan hand bag ( which I took to new york, and finally a shop assistant commented on it in the calvin klein shop lol).

I have my tomoe scarf which I'm very chuffed with and a few key rings,car stickers and bits and bobs etc...

I dont buy fan art as I try to draw the characters myself,

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Hello and welcome to the group. :)
In terms of merchandise, I've got my fill of things for the time being. It's only anime/manga I am concentrated on now, but it's a decent size collection in my opinion. (I don't like clogging every nut-and-cranny of my room full of stuff, but it is full.)
My collection (Images may be big at times.)
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... z8zw1w.jpg
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... rkjnzl.jpg
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... zzie6u.jpg
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... mmhjer.jpg
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s48 ... zabg16.jpg

Missing from the above is my Dark Magician Girl statue, the other half of Skywarp, a couple of art books (original stuff and Fate/Zero season one collection), 2 key rings (Haruhi-ism and Gilgamesh), Attack on Titan Survey corps cloak and the pictures I have on the walls.

As for series/games - Action, Fantasy and Horror are my stronger genres, but I'm open to a lot if the story's good. Fairy Tail being one of my favourite shounen titles as well as catching up with One Piece. Black Lagoon, Ikki Tousen and TypeMoon animes being the tops of my list.
I've played Fighters, VNs, Strategy (mainly turn-based), WWE and some action games. Telltale games are a hook for me, as I play The Walking Dead games and Game of Thrones series.

Similar to Rui (albeit on a smaller scale), I have a doujinshi collection that you would have to include as "fan art" (although it is only really a bit more than half based on existing characters and series and the rest completely original). I do also buy a lot of official art books, for games and anime.

The main thing I collect at this point is probably Magic: The Gathering cards, as they come with far less severe restrictions on your physical storage space than books (which are my actual favorite things to buy), figures, or other home media.

Nice topic, welcome to the forum!

Yowanda-san said:
perhaps the result of being a product first and a creative medium second?
Well I disagree with that fundamentally, so you can see why I was confused by your original post.

Yowanda-san said:
ilmaestro said:
Yowanda-san said:
perhaps the result of being a product first and a creative medium second?
Well I disagree with that fundamentally, so you can see why I was confused by your original post.
Fair enough. Perhaps I was a little overzealous in suggesting that was necessarily the case (and even if it were, I don't think I could - nor would- suggest that it was any different in any other creative industry then) but I do stand by the belief that there is - to a certain degree at least - pressure to sell.
Of course there is pressure to sell commercial media, otherwise everyone loses their jobs. Like you say, this is the same everywhere (please tell me how the winner of The X Factor, for example, is not a "product first" under your conditions).

Back