Alice 19th - Yuu Watase does it again ^_^

Miaka-chan

Stand User
I'm so very excited this morning, my package containing the first 6 volumes of Alice 19th arrived and I just can't wait to get stuck in and read them :D
I am addicted to anything by Yuu Watase. She wrote Fushigi Yuugi, Ceres: Celestial Legend and Imadoki (if anyone knows of any other titles PLEASE let me know).

There is only 1 problem I find with her work, I keep looking for and finding Tamahome in every thing I read! but her artwork is so beautiful that I don't care if every male lead looks like my Tama :twisted: :wink:

I'll post what I thought of it once I've read it!

Imadoki is another Yuu Watase you should think about getting as well.
The romance is a little less hardcore than Fushigi Yuugi and Ceres and it's the first manga where she based the story in a school! The characters are just as endearing as in the others and some of the subject matter is a little more mature than usual.
I have yet to read/watch a Yuu Watase story that wasn't nigh-on perfect (for shoujo fans anyway :D ).

Thats what I like about shoujo there is always a love interest^-^ I have a strange thing about wanting at least two character to have something bettween!

KittySeras said:
Thats what I like about shoujo there is always a love interest^-^ I have a strange thing about wanting at least two character to have something bettween!

Well, look no further then!! There's Alice, the typical cute, quiet Watase girl character and then there's Kyo and Frey, two gorgeous hunks who are in love with her :wink: I just love triads!!

The story is extremely good, there's magic and evil everywhere! The artwork is gorgeous, I didn't think Yuu Watase could create anyone as gorgeous as Tamahome but Kyo is a contender!! I was hooked from the word go and finished all 6 books in 2 days! I have ordered volume 7, which is the last volume.

Believe it or not but I am only just reading Fushigi Yuugi!! I have read the first 7 volumes in 2 days!
I think basically FY fans wouldn't let go and that's why Yuu Watase ended up writing the OVAs! I like the idea though of telling the stories of the previous 2 Priestesses. We get to know a little about the Priestess of Byyako but not Genbu (other than the nasty bits!!). Do you know if it's coming out in English in July? as there was no info about the English version - or did I miss that bit :oops:

I looked on amazon and they have a July 1st release for the English version, I know amazon isn't always the most accurate for manga release dates but they usually get it roughly right.

KittySeras said:
Funny, because that always sort of bugs me. I know romance is a big part of a lot of storytelling, and shoujo in particular, but it just seems weird. Where are all the people that can stand to walk past a pretty guy/girl without falling madly in love? What about the characters that don't feel the need to hurriedly copulate with one of the members of the opposite sex in the immediate vicinity? Why the hell are most love interests either such reprehensible jerks/bitches that you've no idea what anyone could possibly see in them, or so horribly shy as to make their romance actually painful to watch?

Ok, I think I'm done.

Colin said:
KittySeras said:
Funny, because that always sort of bugs me. I know romance is a big part of a lot of storytelling, and shoujo in particular, but it just seems weird. Where are all the people that can stand to walk past a pretty guy/girl without falling madly in love? What about the characters that don't feel the need to hurriedly copulate with one of the members of the opposite sex in the immediate vicinity? Why the hell are most love interests either such reprehensible jerks/bitches that you've no idea what anyone could possibly see in them, or so horribly shy as to make their romance actually painful to watch?

Ok, I think I'm done.

If you were a female, you'd understand!! and I don't mean that in any feminist way, just purely a girls point of view! I know not ALL girls think this way, but it does seem to be the majority of shoujo fans/girly girls way of thinking!!
In a story, there is nothing nicer than reading about the less than pretty, overly shy, tomboy, poor girl etc type of girl getting the handsome hero. Or even the other way round, the geeky guy, who actually turns out to be pretty hot, or is wonderfully heroic etc getting the gorgeous girl! The better ones are the poor common girl getting the rich handsome guy who is so utterly wonderful it's a little unreal.
It's not just in manga, but novels too. Why do you think Catherine Cookson was such a big seller, and even now, her books are still best sellers!! It's part of the make-up of females.
That's the only way I can think of to explain it but your typical angst ridden romance is what we love and it's a formula that has worked for years and will probably always work :mrgreen:

Its just one of the best things to come home to after school or work especially if its been a crappy day. Chobits has pulled me out of teenage depression several times.^-^

Miaka-chan said:
If you were a female, you'd understand!! and I don't mean that in any feminist way, just purely a girls point of view! I know not ALL girls think this way, but it does seem to be the majority of shoujo fans/girly girls way of thinking!!
In a story, there is nothing nicer than reading about the less than pretty, overly shy, tomboy, poor girl etc type of girl getting the handsome hero.
Yes even more so if you are that type of girl, like me. It makes you forget about real life and allows you to get swept away in the fantasy, that maybe someday a guy like that really will come along and be the wonderful gentleman that will rescue you and you'll both live happily ever after. Rather than the reality of having to accept the fact that you'll be a spinster and be known as the freaky dog lady (cats are ok, but dogs are better) who lives in the big house that kids chuck stones at as a dare

Charter_Mage said:
Yes even more so if you are that type of girl, like me. It makes you forget about real life and allows you to get swept away in the fantasy, that maybe someday a guy like that really will come along and be the wonderful gentleman that will rescue you and you'll both live happily ever after.
Then you get to my age and you're still wondering if it will ever happen :( Age doesn't matter when it comes to romance, something my 13 year old daughter doesn't get! She thinks because I'm 38 I don't dream of romance and all that. I might be horribly synical nowadays, but I still live in hopes :lol: It's the romance in anime and manga that has kept my faith that these things really might actually exist :shock:

Charter_Mage said:
Miaka-chan said:
In a story, there is nothing nicer than reading about the less than pretty, overly shy, tomboy, poor girl etc type of girl getting the handsome hero.
Yes even more so if you are that type of girl, like me. It makes you forget about real life and allows you to get swept away in the fantasy, that maybe someday a guy like that really will come along and be the wonderful gentleman that will rescue you and you'll both live happily ever after. Rather than the reality of having to accept the fact that you'll be a spinster and be known as the freaky dog lady (cats are ok, but dogs are better) who lives in the big house that kids chuck stones at as a dare
:lol: Freedom from normal crapulant life were you can dream you have magic powers and gourgous guy who would do anything...sigh

Oh don't, this is making me really sad now :cry: . The key is to just keep trying to fool you're self being a spinster isn't really that bad, i have....really i have :lol: :cry:
This is all also part of the reason i want to be a novelist, because excluding manga and a few other wonderful books i have found no one writes the kind of books i want to read - fantasy adventures, with a nice looking male....or two and lovely romance to top it all off.
You know if the me of five years ago could hear this she would be disgusted as to what a sissy girl i've turned into

Charter_Mage said:
Oh don't, this is making me really sad now :cry: . The key is to just keep trying to fool you're self being a spinster isn't really that bad, i have....really i have :lol: :cry:
This is all also part of the reason i want to be a novelist, because excluding manga and a few other wonderful books i have found no one writes the kind of books i want to read - fantasy adventures, with a nice looking male....or two and lovely romance to top it all off.
You know if the me of five years ago could hear this she would be disgusted as to what a sissy girl i've turned into
My sister cannot believe the chane in me over the past through years, It seems that Ive grown weaker, jesus I was such a brat! Now thanks to the wonders of Shoujo I have become a dreamer, I love shoujo it takes me away from my complicated and muddeled teenage life. I wish I could write my own stories, but when I do they seem...I dunno dead

Back