Akira: Live Action

Jaymii

Baka Ranger
Sorry for making another thread, I've searched for a fair bit of time both using the function and scanning the pages but can't find the other Akira threads. Anyway, io9 (w/ ****** Gawker redesign and all) has posted an analysis of a very early draft of the Akira film. It seems to mostly being ignoring the original film in favour of adapting parts of the manga. It's getting rewritten too, by a Harry Potter guy so that might be all right.

I won't copy and paste it - read it here!

I heard a fair old while ago it has more to do with the eventual story within the Manga rather than the movie adaptation (which is the Manga without the Social Political stuff in).

The writer of the article really doesn't seem to know their Akira :)

Jayme said:
That first sentence makes zero sense to me.

What doesn't make sense?

Akira, the animated adaptation by Katsuhiro Otomo was released well before he finished writing the Manga, he hadn't even made up his mind on how all of the events panned out. I read somewhere, I don't remember where as it was a while back, that the live action movie would have more in common with the manga than it did the anime. That scrapped script, with its references to heavy drug use on Tetsuo's part, the bowling alley (which is the Clowns hideout, whom Tetsuo becomes the leader of).

Likewise, Kaneda leaves Kei to go off in search of his bike.

As for the Messiah references, the writer of the article completely overlooks Tetsuo serving the ressurected Akira in the Manga, which leads to my second sentence where I state the journalist clearly doesn't know his Akira. Most of what he mentions happens in the first book (aside from Tetsuo reviving Akira) and we don't know where and when the scenes in that script were supposed to be used within the context of the movie.

People are seeing "Live Action Akira" and adding the term "remake" at the end, its not a remake at-all, but people are mostly ignorant and just think they're using the animated movie as reference, the above comparison with the scrapped script shows that it has more in common with what Otomo put down on ink and paper rather than celluloid.

Inevitable American version video post!

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jafd97yJFOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jafd97yJFOI?fs=1&amp;hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

This proposed movie needs to be barraged from orbit with the SOL.

I am consistently dumbfounded at the rumours I hear about it. Are they still casting Morgan Freeman as the snarling Colonel?

Back