ADV's gone forever

chaos

The Boss
This weekend's London Expo will be the last one that ADV will attend. There will be daily raffles and deals as they clear out the last of their inventory.

<a href="http://www.neomag.co.uk/news.asp?intID=1164">From NEO Magazine</a>
&nbsp;

A great shame but was I the only one who read this and thought "ADV was still alive in the UK?" I thought they were long gone, the US arm died* quite a while ago.

*well, became section 23/ sentai

Was wondering why they were there at all. Anything good they've licensed is likely long gone tho'.

christor said:
A great shame but was I the only one who read this and thought "ADV was still alive in the UK?" I thought they were long gone, the US arm died* quite a while ago.

*well, became section 23/ sentai
The UK arm died first, they only had a few titles left before the US bit died.

ADV are the reason I first saw Evangelion and the reason I'm as into anime as I am. I'll be there to salute their ship as it goes down.

Thanks to them i now own coyote ragtime show, kino's journey and many more titles.

Shame to see em go (again?)

The ship's been sinking for a while now, but all the same I'm sad to see them go. ADV did bring a lot a decent titles to the UK in anime's less certain days, indeed, I believe that some of the first anime I ever bought was from them.

RIP ADV.

Makes you wonder when the licenses for ADV UK title will run out as titles like Evangelion TV series, Nadesico, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Excel Saga, Spriggan & Hellsing would ideal for Manga to re-release.

The amount of quality they packed into their DVD's shames a lot of companies. I felt that Manga might be the natural successor to them by taking up a dominant position but it hasn't happened.

Nothing beats the commentaries, ADV notes in Excel Saga or the quality of the Evangelion tin box set.

R.I.P. ADV.

So long and thanks for all the boxsets.

ADV were great when I seriously started watching anime. I think they were already pretty much dying at that point. They weren't getting any new shows and just releasing what they already had as boxsets, which I bought lots of. 21 sets, from a quick look. The majority of my early series purchases were ADV because they had boxsets. Others seemed to be a bit slower to release boxsets. But that's changed now.

I was also surprised to see this news though. I too thought they were already officially gone, never to be seen again as ADV.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9iwZzrIaNw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/V9iwZzrIaNw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
For all the series that never got finished and for all the good memories

Hmmm, been trying to remember is there is anything I want from ADV in the UK. Got GetBackers....Got FMP in R1....The only other thing I might have wanted (that I recall) was Kekko Kamen. I remember seeing it for about £4 on Amazon a while back and now NOWHERE has it at all, much to my dismay. :(

ADV mostly did series that I quite liked, but would not really buy...

I was quite alarmed when I saw the title of this thread, I thought Section 23 / Sentai had gone under as well. As it stands, ADV UK have been dead for a good while. Stock clearance doesn't really denote a company which is 'in business'; they were dead the moment they stopped licensing new shows.

As for the future, how about a DVD / BD region that looks like this so companies like Sentai can distribute worldwide and no English speaking fans miss out?

800px-Anglosphere_map.png

No, on second thoughts, that would be far too sensible.

Ah, ADV were great. Seeing this news brings back my feelings of regret over their initial demise.

Say what you like about the company, but they did a lot to keep anime alive in the West, and brought us a lot of interesting, fun shows.

And yeah Ayase - DVD and Blu-ray region coding stinks. Acknowledging the global market is the way forward!

On the subject of ADV, does anyone else have issues with their Getbackers DVDs? The Dub audio has this wierd ass filtering on it for some reason.

ConanThe3rd said:
On the subject of ADV, does anyone else have issues with their Getbackers DVDs? The Dub audio has this wierd ass filtering on it for some reason.

I watched them all through recently, the dub audio was definitely a bit odd, but it either got better, or I got used to it as it went on.

RIP ADV, some of the first anime i watched were from them.

Went to their stall at the expo to see what they had on offer didn't seem like they wanted to shift their stock as it was pretty expensive in comparrision to a lot of other places.

Back