Advanced Review: Kino's Journey #3

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
Today's review is taking an advanced look at Kino's Journey #3, out from ADV UK on 21st February. This is a painfully over looked philosophical series that deserves the attention of anyone who enjoys thought provoking, intelligent anime.<ul><span class=menu>"Only 8 episodes in and Kino’s Journey has already established itself as a real force to be contended with. Yet it's only when I settle back into my familiar old chair and start watching this show that I remember just how good it is. The philosophy and symbolism are so subtle and underplayed that it's easy to gloss over why I enjoy Kino's Journey so much.

This third volume is no different, it is a collection of 3 brief, thought provoking adventures connected together by the suggestive running commentary provided by Kino and her talking motorrad, Hermes."</span></ul><a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewreview.php?showreview=82">Read full review</a>.

Easily one of the best series available right now.

Out of interest, how many people here have watched Kino's Journey?

as you know hux, have so far seen the first 2 volumes and have really enjoyed it so far. a great title to reaffirm all that is good about anime, especially with some of the dross that is getting released

I've also seen the first two volumes and will be getting #3 on Monday, usually it takes me a few episodes to get into an anime but Kino's Journey was an exception- I loved it from the beginning and each subsequent episode has been consistently excellent.

I think its amazing that shows like Trigun and Naruto get so much attention when Kino's Journey achieves so much more than them. In one short series, the viewer is taken on an emotional and thought provoking ride of a lifetime. Every episode has a point, and despite the shows slow pace, each one manages to contain a suprising number of themes and events.

Unfortunately, most people are turned off by shows that make you think. You just need to look at the state of TV today, it's all geared towards audience target figures and things like that.

People are right when they say this is the type of show that reaffirms their faith in anime. It's a relief to watch a show that is constantly challenging the viewer and doesn't resort to fan-service and other such attempts at 'middle ground'. If you like this, look out for Haibane Renmei and Texhnolyze in the summer months, just as slow paced and symbolic as Kino.

I'm really looking forward to the last volume of this and it's good to hear that a movie is on the way now too!

I also have watched the frist 2 vols and im getting vol 3 this monday. I cant wait for it to get here, most of the time i wait untill i have all the dvds before i watch a serie but kinos is so good i could not wait and im watching them as they come out.

Back