A weird video error on Funimation DVD's?

Neferpitou

Stand User
On every Funimation DVD I own , I keep on seeing the same video error appearing. The best way to describe: towards the top of the screen the picture keeps on shaking. It seem to more prominent when the DVD player is connect by RGB scart instead of Standard Scart.

I thought it maybe because of the NTSC signal on PAL equipment but I have not seen any other NTSC disc have the same problem. Has anyone else had similar problem, maybe it because my DVD player doesn't like the DVD stock Funimation uses?

Sounds like its your player. Try using a different one. If it persists, perhaps contacting an engineer or a another expert.
Admittedly, I don't own many of Funi's stuff, but I've never noticed such an error either. Sorry if that didn't help.

Sounds odd. If it's just affecting Funimation discs you'd think it would be a compatibility issue with the DVD player, but a quick Google doesn't reveal anything. Certainly this has never happened to me (using various DVD players w/RGB & HDMI), and I have a lot of Funi discs.

I know exactly what you mean, it's got something to do with overscan, and how discs are encoded and whatever. I get it on my Funimation discs and some Geneon discs, but not Bandai, Manga or ADV.

The top 2% of the image exhibits a slight skew, the same sort of thing that happened with some videotapes back in the day, but to a far smaller extent.

I don't think it's anything to do with the DVD player. It's the CRT that's doing it. At least that's what I think. The majority of people have flat panel displays now, and I never heard a similar complaint as mine until you mentioned it, and the commonality, a CRT display.

I'll be able to tell you for sure later this week. I'll be finally getting an LCD screen, and I'll try the discs on that.

EDIT Yup, reading online, it's down to overscan.

The way I read it, a PAL CRT is calibrated to show a 625 line image to a proper degree. A 525 line NTSC image on a 625 line display will naturally bring detail that would normally be obscured by overscan into view. Depending on how the DVD is authored, that will display incorrectly on a PAL display. I guess it won't be an issue on an LCD set.

Just Passing Through said:
I know exactly what you mean, it's got something to do with overscan, and how discs are encoded and whatever. I get it on my Funimation discs and some Geneon discs, but not Bandai, Manga or ADV.

The top 2% of the image exhibits a slight skew, the same sort of thing that happened with some videotapes back in the day, but to a far smaller extent.

I don't think it's anything to do with the DVD player. It's the CRT that's doing it. At least that's what I think. The majority of people have flat panel displays now, and I never heard a similar complaint as mine until you mentioned it, and the commonality, a CRT display.

I'll be able to tell you for sure later this week. I'll be finally getting an LCD screen, and I'll try the discs on that.

EDIT Yup, reading online, it's down to overscan.

The way I read it, a PAL CRT is calibrated to show a 625 line image to a proper degree. A 525 line NTSC image on a 625 line display will naturally bring detail that would normally be obscured by overscan into view. Depending on how the DVD is authored, that will display incorrectly on a PAL display. I guess it won't be an issue on an LCD set.

Thanks for that. That solves why their 2% slight skew on normal Scart composite on CRT. But does that explain the problem with RGB as that slightly different? It's a bit harder to explain, from the top my head: It slight skew on top then another 2 inch's down the screen theirs an another line of skew and then another line of skew. They constantly shake up and down and quite noticable in scenes with lightly coloured backgrounds.

I assume its another DVD encoding issue with PAL CRT as you said before. As I like my CRT and also the issue with up-scaling poor source DVD on LCD/Plasma. I guess I best avoid Funimation until I get an LCD/PLASMA.

Thanks for the help.

Neferpitou said:
Thanks for that. That solves why their 2% slight skew on normal Scart composite on CRT. But does that explain the problem with RGB as that slightly different? It's a bit harder to explain, from the top my head: It slight skew on top then another 2 inch's down the screen theirs an another line of skew and then another line of skew. They constantly shake up and down and quite noticable in scenes with lightly coloured backgrounds.

I assume its another DVD encoding issue with PAL CRT as you said before. As I like my CRT and also the issue with up-scaling poor source DVD on LCD/Plasma. I guess I best avoid Funimation until I get an LCD/PLASMA.

Thanks for the help.
These are going to be NTSC dvds playing on a PAL display not being optimised isn't surprising.

Regular Scart should be outputting in NTSC (unless you have a realy wierd player, like mine), that will be your TV failing at displaying it.

RGB will be the one that shows the overscan.
That's on the edge of the picture only, or is it the whole line acting up?
That sounds like a power supply issue (what you have overscan to hide)

Just to update, got a new flatpanel TV today, turned overscan off so I'd get the whole picture onscreen. Tried one of the discs that would skew at the top on my CRT, Niea_7 from Geneon/Pioneer. Connected via HDMI.

Came up just great on the LCD screen, no issues at all, and very nicely upscaled at that.

Reaper gI said:
Neferpitou said:

Thanks for the help.
These are going to be NTSC dvds playing on a PAL display not being optimised isn't surprising.

Regular Scart should be outputting in NTSC (unless you have a realy wierd player, like mine), that will be your TV failing at displaying it.

RGB will be the one that shows the overscan.
That's on the edge of the picture only, or is it the whole line acting up?
That sounds like a power supply issue (what you have overscan to hide)

Its shakes on the edge of the screen with standard scart but with RGB Scart setting being used it affect the whole image as described above.

If it was Power supply issue wouldn't all DVD be affect? Having no trouble with Pal or NTSC discs from other companies which aren't either Funimation & Geneon.

Neferpitou said:
Its shakes on the edge of the screen with standard scart but with RGB Scart setting being used it affect the whole image as described above.

If it was Power supply issue wouldn't all DVD be affect? Having no trouble with Pal or NTSC discs from other companies which aren't either Funimation & Geneon.
Sounds like they're playing fine by normal SCART. Just your TV not liking NTSC that hasn't been optimised for it.

Do other NTSC videos get the problems with RGB.
If so it's your player converting it to PAL.
You might generate whole lines of constant interlace doing that.
I forgot RGB was essentialy a PAL only format. Hence why you can make TVs that can't display NTSC display using it.

Power supply issues are a bit tempermental, I get them on 2 disks, of hundreds (and only on one player, my PC).

Reaper gI said:
Neferpitou said:

Sounds like they're playing fine by normal SCART. Just your TV not liking NTSC that hasn't been optimised for it.

Do other NTSC videos get the problems with RGB.
If so it's your player converting it to PAL.
You might generate whole lines of constant interlace doing that.
I forgot RGB was essentialy a PAL only format. Hence why you can make TVs that can't display NTSC display using it.

Power supply issues are a bit tempermental, I get them on 2 disks, of hundreds (and only on one player, my PC).

Other NTSC Disc's seem to play fine its just Funimation & Geneon disc which have trouble. I must admit I have not test every disc I own or watched them till completion to see any errors.

Not sure the TV is at fault as it newer high end Panasonic TV and not some old cheap make.

I wondering if RGB is the best connection type for CRT TV when dealing NTSC because of the image has to be converted. I wonder If it better to go with S-Video instead or just plain scart?

I had a quick look on my scope at the waveforms, a Funi DVD vs a Sentai DVD both in NTSC. The Funi DVD has a higher black level but the line timing was identical. Its possible your TV is just having a hard time syncing.

Back