A Silent Voice UK Home Video Details Fully Unveiled

N

NormanicGrav

Thought In This Corner of the World and Your Name were the only big titles coming out soon? Surprise there’s another one!

Anime Limited have announced the details regarding the upcoming home video release of A Silent Voice (Koe no Katachi) from studio Kyoto Animation and director Naoko Yamada. While the film has been made available across the United Kingdom on digital services (except for PlayStation Network), the Blu-ray & DVD version will soon be available on 30th October 2017. This will also be the film’s first English release with both the original Japanese audio with English subtitles and the English dub included.

The film received a theatrical release back in February (via festivals) and March 2017 earlier this year, and the distributor even produced a well-done trailer to promote the film:

Shoya Ishida starts bullying the new girl in class, Shoko Nishimiya, because she is deaf. But as the teasing continues, the rest of the class starts to turn on Shoya for his lack of compassion. When they leave elementary school, Shoko and Shoya do not speak to each other again… until an older, wiser Shoya, tormented by his past behaviour, decides he must see Shoko once more. He wants to atone for his sins, but is it already too late…?

First of all, let’s talk about the English dub. As you may or may not know already, similar to Your Name last year Anime Limited have collaborated with NYAV Post to produce an English dub for the movie. The dub will be available at the Edinburgh Filmhouse on Tuesday 17th October as part of Scotland Loves Anime 2017 which will also be the World Premiere of the English language version. Today, the cast has been revealed!

Shoya Ishida
Robbie Daymond

Shoya Ishida (in year 6 at school)
Ryan Shanahan

Shoko Nishimiya
Lexi Cowden

Naoka Ueno
Kira Buckland

Naoka Ueno (in year 6 at school)
Gia Grace

Miki Kawai
Amber Lee Connors

Miki Kawai (in year 6 at school)
Annabelle Corigliano

Miyoko Sahara
Melissa Hope

Mikoko Sahara (in year 6 at school)
Catie Harvey

Hirose (in year 6 at school)
Brian Bekerle

Kazuki Shimada
Michael Sinterniklaas

Kazuki Shimada (in year 6 at school)
Spencer Rosen

Yuzuru Nishimiya
Kristen Sullivan

Yaeko Nishimiya
Lipica Shah

Ito Nishimiya
Janis Carol

Miyoko Ishida
Sara Cravens

Nagatsuka
Graham Halstead

Satoshi Mashiba
Max Mittelman

Maria
AnnaBelle Deaner

Additional Voices include Christine Marie Cabanos, Marc Diraison, Amanda Winn Lee, Michael Schneider, Michael Sinterniklaas, Stephanie Sheh, and Michael Sorich.

Anime Limited have also offered a preview of the English dub with this video clip:

Much like any other Anime Limited movie release, there will be three versions available:

• Collector’s Edition Blu-ray & DVD Combo Pack
  • Standard Edition Blu-ray
  • Standard Edition DVD

A-Silent-Voice-CE.jpg

A-Silent-Voice-CE-2.jpg

The Collector’s Edition will be available for SRP £49.99 and will include the following:

• Rigid Box with digipack for the discs
  • 76-page booklet containing the following: An Introduction about A Silent Voice, Character Profiles, Gallery, Storyboards, Articles analysing the film written by Andrew Osmond and Jonathan Clements.

In addition, there will also be an exclusive AllTheAnime Shop Bundle that offers 2 A3 sized posters! The designs are currently in approvals so we won’t know what they will be until closer to release. The posters will be shipped separately in a poster tube from the Blu-ray set in November 2017 due to production time.

A-Silent-Voice-BD.jpg

A-Silent-Voice-DVD.jpg

The Standard Edition will contain the on-disc content (which is the same across all versions for the UK) and the film, just like Your Name. Speaking of on-disc content, here is what it will contain:

Audio:

• English audio – 5.1 & Stereo
  • Japanese audio – 5.1 & Stereo

Subtitles:

• English Dialogue + Song & Signs (for the Japanese audio viewers)
  • Song & Signs (for the English audio viewers)
  • Subtitles for the Deaf & Hard of Hearing (based on the Japanese script)

On-disc Extra Features:

• Music Video: “Koi wo Shita no wa” by AKIO
  • Music Video: “Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)” by Speed of Youth
  • Trailer and TV Spots
  • UK TV Spot (NOTE: this is a shorter version of our theatrical trailer)
  • Real-Life Locations
  • Interview with Director Naoko Yamada
  • Interview with Character Designer Futoshi Nishiya
  • Interview with Art Director Mutsuo Shinohara
  • Interview with Music Composer Kensuke Ushio

Note that the regions will be locked to B and 2 only.

Pre-orders for A Silent Voice will commence starting 2nd October 2017 on Shop AllTheAnime. You can pre-order the film elsewhere as well on Amazon UK, Base, HMV, and MVM’s Anime-on-line retail stores.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't say I know anyone outside of Robbie Daymond for the English cast, hopefully it's good. Kind of a shame they managed to get Stephanie Shea and Christine Marie Cabanos but only gave them bit parts, they're two of my favourite English VA.

Looks decent enough to me, I mean I'm not a big fan of the artwork used compared to the Japanese release but what ya gonna do. Kinda weird as I don't think I would stick A Silent Voice posters up, but I kinda want them none the less (I actually nearly bought the little chirashi posters from ebay to frame them not that long ago, but decided against it.). But aye, I'll certainly be picking up the CE of ASV.

Hopefully, between this and Your Name, charging TV show prices for a film CE doesn't become a trend. Will likely be buying the cheaper options for these two. Spending the better half of £100 on two films I've not seen before isn't something I really want to do, regardless of how nice the releases are, or how good the films end up being.

Wow, that's amazing. I guess I'll be watching the dub as well at some point, then. :)

Really looking forward to seeing this again, and to owning it on BD. The contributions from Clements and Osmond add extra value to the booklet for me.

I love the choice of that classic bit of key art for the cover; that image was also used on a Japan Foundation poster at my local cinema where I saw the film. And it's got to be said: AL's design beats the living daylights out of the Japanese artwork. ;)

(Take cover. :p)

I also prefer it to the Japanese version. "The Movie" is the only thing I don't like but that's just me nitpicking. :oops:

You can thank the licensor for that there, our original logo didn't have it but in the end Japan had also done it's own English logo at the same time for the world so off we went with it :). Like you was a nitpick for me too but eh, got to work with it! That's why the US logo is identical by the by.

AP

Back