£#<%ing Vista

hopeful_monster

Thousand Master
Don't know what OS most of you use, but i recently upgraded my computer, and got vista as part of it. Fair dues, can't fight the future and all that. Load up favourite games and the such, all good (if a little OCD on the security side) but going well. Then try and sett up wireless connection... and things start going pair shaped.
1st need a reciver that looks like a star treck communicator (old school) which costs a bomb, but boosts the signal by about 200%. Next came connecting, which litteraly depends on which way the wind blows (highly affected by atmospherics), and last of all Firefox runs slower than a slug on prozac, while IE runs at a respectable pace. MS srewing over the competion ... again.
Any one know a work around or am i stuck with IE for the while.

Hey mate I feel for you. I'm deliberately not upgrading to Vista, at least until all of the bugs have been ironed out, for just that reason. Good luck getting things working again!

I heard once you go to Vista the computers won't comunicate very well, unless they're all on vista, purposely done of course. Why buy vista for one computer... when you can have it on all of your computers for 5 times the price! Microsoft computer software annoys me, but they've gained my respect through the xbox

I find all this "Im never going to upgrade" talk kind of stupid

I rember every one saying the same with xp
and now xp is considered the best os ever by some people

Every thing changes if it didnt i would still be using windows 3.1

cantstraferight said:
I find all this "Im never going to upgrade" talk kind of stupid

I rember every one saying the same with xp
and now xp is considered the best os ever by some people

Every thing changes if it didnt i would still be using windows 3.1

Saying what you don't plan to do/not do is stupid?

Change doesn't always necessarily mean good.

Everyone will be using Vista within the next two years, the same thing happens everytime a new OS comes out. I use Vista at work and i'm going to install it on my laptop to mess around with.

However on my desktop I am going to wait until service pack one has been released before i install it onto this computer, atleast then all the major problems will be solved.

cantstraferight said:
Hyaku said:
Saying what you don't plan to do/not do is stupid?

Change doesn't always necessarily mean good.

no saying never is stupid

and change doesn't always necessarily mean bad.

Bravo sir, I'd love to argue semantics with you sometime, I'd also like to explain semantics to you some time.

I've had XP for a few months and i've got to say it's poo compared to 2000. Pop-ups galore and I couldn't get a lot of games to work on it that I could on 2000 and 98. I'd rather not have it but whatever, can't fight it.

I never update to a new windows package until it has been out for at least 6 months or there is a service pack available for it, by that time Microsoft have usually had enough complaints to make them fix the bigger more annoying bugs

I am using XP Pro

i'm using Vista now on my laptop, and i have not come across one error yet whilst using it. Nothing has mucked up or anything.

I'll upgrade to Vista when I build a new PC. I find Microsoft's aggressive tactics a little concerning though, with Direct X10 being Vista only (though technically, big, rich developers can simply build DX10 technology into their games without using DX10) and certain games being Vista only for no apparent reason (Halo 2's release will be a farce).

I'm getting a new laptop soon, would much prefer to stick to XP than get Vista with it, but I get the feeling wherever I go they'll try to flog Vista with it. I'm most worried about compatibility, loads of my favourite programs and games didn't work 98 -> XP. I don't want even more to happen with Vista. Anyone heard about compatibility with old software?

My computing teacher has two major rules about computers. One of them is "Never buy version one of anything".

Back