3rd April UK anime releases

Red XIII

Straw Hat Pirate
Just two anime DVDs were released in the UK today, including the first volume of Crest of the Stars from Beez. Unfortunately, the sixth and final instalment of Planetes, originally due out today, appears to have been delayed.<ul class="menu"><b>3 April 2006</b>
<li>Crest of the Stars #1 (Beez)
<li>Planetes #5 (Beez)</ul>Want to keep tabs on all upcoming UK releases? Then be sure to refer to our regularly updated schedule.

RichB06 said:
Any opinions on Crest Of The Stars? Is it worth me checking out?

It is worth EVERYONE checking out, especially if you're a fan of sci-fi / space opera. Very character based show, it's a bit slow to begin with, but things pick up really well later. Easily one of my top 10.

No no why do they keep messing with planetes, why cant they just let me finish it...... n they wonder why peoplpe import
Kev

Cheers subedii, I've added vol 1 to my rental list

WTFDaveMustaine, you really should give Planetes a go, I really didn't know what expect from this show when I started watching it, I'd just heard it was very good and it really is!

It's far more than just a comedy but it is very funny, with some darker storylines and a lil bit of romance, the totally uncorny and natural kind thankfully

RichB06 said:
Any opinions on Crest Of The Stars? Is it worth me checking out?

Easily one of the best anime of all time. As a space series it stands proudly beside other live action equivalents like Startrek & Stargate. Especially its space combat - after establishing the nature of space travel, its space combat is a natural extension of it. Cold and unforgiving. The 2 lead characters, Jinto & Lafiel are one of the best pair-ups in all of anime and the dialog between them is superb.

Best appreciated subbed. The US actors phoned in their lines, and the subtle dialog comes out real corny in their delivery. Later series improved the dubbing a bit. But CotS is one series that missed out on the recent trend of improved dub quality.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Thinking of checking out Planetes. Dunno if I should go for the manga or get the DVD's though.

Both are very different. The anime is adapted from the manga, is superiour and provides a more concrete storyline and goes into better detail on certain points. The manga is much more episodic, and despite being one of the excellent mangas out there, it kind of fades away rather than coming to a solid conclusion.

Both are well worth it, but don't let manga purists fool you. Planetes is one of the great manga adaptions. How it goes from somethign largely episodic to something with dramatic plots is impressive indeed.

Laughing Manji said:
Both are very different. The anime is adapted from the manga, is superiour and provides a more concrete storyline and goes into better detail on certain points. The manga is much more episodic, and despite being one of the excellent mangas out there, it kind of fades away rather than coming to a solid conclusion.

Both are well worth it, but don't let manga purists fool you. Planetes is one of the great manga adaptions. How it goes from somethign largely episodic to something with dramatic plots is impressive indeed.

Yeah, I was quite surprised with how the Manga started so brilliantly with volume 1, then just went to weird places. The anime (from what I've seen so far, about half-way through the series), has a better overall structure, especially since it tries to keep things more focussed.

subedii said:
Yeah, I was quite surprised with how the Manga started so brilliantly with volume 1, then just went to weird places. The anime (from what I've seen so far, about half-way through the series), has a better overall structure, especially since it tries to keep things more focussed.

Aye the manga was frustrating that way. More intense in some ways, but it lacked a lot in cohesion. If you thought the anime has better structure/focus at the half way point, wait until you watch the second half where it starts to solidify into what will be the plot towards the end. There is as much 'have to watch next episode' gripping drama in it as in the best of Naruto (Chuunin exam/Konoha attack arcs). Its also very intelligent considering how applicable the politics of Planetes is to our current society, and also how daring it was (consider when it aired).

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Thank's Laughing Manji. I think i'll pick up the first disk of the anime some time this week. :)

Aye, its a good time to buy it. Following the Beez releases has been a total pain (double disc releases was teh sechs until you realise that the release schedule is pure fantasy). No sign of the alleged 6th volume yet that was meant to be released with the 5th one this week (dispatched early form play and it arrived yesterday).

Laughing Manji said:
Aye, its a good time to buy it. Following the Beez releases has been a total pain (double disc releases was teh sechs until you realise that the release schedule is pure fantasy). No sign of the alleged 6th volume yet that was meant to be released with the 5th one this week (dispatched early form play and it arrived yesterday).
I managed to pick up a copy of PlanetES 6 from Travelling Man today. It is out there but it does seem to be a bit ellusive...

Back