1.5 years for Uploader

Ryo Chan

Symphogear
remember a while back the story about the guys arrested for uploading anime from Japan for fansubbers

well

The Kyoto District Court has found one of three defendants guilty of unauthorized uploading of Gundam and other popular anime with the Share file-sharing program on Friday. Judge Kōji Shibata ordered Moriyoshi Inoha, a 41-year-old company employee from Tokyo, to serve one year and six months in prison (with a three-year suspended sentence). Prosecutors has asked for that length of prison time for Inoha on July 4.

One of the other defendants, 34-year-old company employee Kasuhiro Maki from Kawasaki City, is also facing an 18-month sentence from a different judge in the same court. Although others have been indicted and sentenced for using other programs to share files without permission, Inoha, Maki, and Takahiro Ōtomo from Hiroshima Prefecture were the first in Japan to be arrested for allegedly using Share, a program that had promised high anonymity for its users. (Ever since security researchers found flaws in Share in 2006, other successor applications have been developed.)

Japan's Copyright Law prohibits unauthorized uploaders but expressly allows people to download for private use. The Japanese government is pushing for a ban on unauthorized downloads as well, despite receiving thousands of messages from citizens opposing the ban.

Big blow for fansubs tbh

Nope, not really. If jail time of fines put people off of sharing then Bittorrent would have been dead LONG ago. As long as it's one conviction from millions of users then most people will continue to take the risk.

Bit harsh, though....

They have to enforce laws or there's no point in having them. He knew what he was doing and what the laws are, and so do the hundreds of others still out there doing the same who won't stop just because a few people are being made examples of.

Gundam...honestly, it's not like this was some charitable attempt to keep a long out of print show in circulation or something.

The "fan"subs aren't going to stop because of this.

R

MrChom said:
Nope, not really. If jail time of fines put people off of sharing then Bittorrent would have been dead LONG ago. As long as it's one conviction from millions of users then most people will continue to take the risk.

Bit harsh, though....
As far as I know this is the first time anyone has been sentenced for uploading illegal content, so it's no surprise that no one has taken any notice. But we'll see if this puts them off their jollies. I expect it will only drive it further underground, but the further down it goes, the harder it will be to get it, in theory.

Mohawk52 said:
MrChom said:

Bit harsh, though....
As far as I know this is the first time anyone has been sentenced for uploading illegal content, so it's no surprise that no one has taken any notice. But we'll see if this puts them off their jollies. I expect it will only drive it further underground, but the further down it goes, the harder it will be to get it, in theory.

i think it is, specially in japan

The reason i say it may hurt fansubs is it may scare a few people off, and ofc, the less Raws there are, the harder it is for subbers to find good quality eps to sub

Like has already been said. There are far too many uploads happing all the time. This won't even make fansub releases fluctuate in the slightest. It is the law so if caught, then you have to pay the price I guess. Still fel sorry for the guys like.

Kireek said:
Ok anime industery fansubs dissapear..............do u think people will now go out and spend money on a show they have not seen???? I think not.
I would and I've done it before. Not always the best choices like. It's the more expensive series that I'd want to see first. Wouldn't want to part with a load of cash for a series I heard was good and I it turns out to be crap.

This all said, I wonder what the Ratio of Fansubbers to Local people is? Cuz I can imagine that some people can't/won't take the prices and or Disk/Ep ratio that Japan has all that obendiently.

(I'd say it's about ... 1.5 times the amount we pay for DVDS for about half and that's due to it having to go though a litteral ton of channels.)

Kireek said:
Ok anime industery fansubs dissapear..............do u think people will now go out and spend money on a show they have not seen???? I think not.
Yeah, but with more and more companies starting to setup legal downloads of their own, or with fansubbers gone legit, that argument is getting lamer and lamer.

I nearly always buy shows unseen. Only exception is thing friends show me or I catch in the cinema or something.

I was 15 once and on limited means so the "you are rich" (I'm not, by the way) argument isn't in the picture. I just learned to appreciate fast what I bought and to research new shows carefully. Now I am able to tell almost immediately whether or not I'll like something. I guess if anything was ever really that bad I'd give it to a friend but it's never come to that :p

I don't actually like seeing things I haven't bought now because part of the thrill is uncovering the story for the first time with a new purchase for me...

Hopefully more sampling initiatives will be explored by the distributors though to silence the complaints. I'd certainly like to see more previews on discs for other shows - some series come with loads (I've actually watched the preview disc that came with Devil Hunter Yohko on its own several times for fun) but some you get the same three trailers on every disc of the series. A bit of a waste of marketing opportunity there.

R

I few bad for those guys, in my opinion they just draw the short straw. Will it affect fansubs? I don't think so. Will legit download affects fansubs? Definitely yes!
Conan-san said:
This all said, I wonder what the Ratio of Fansubbers to Local people is? Cuz I can imagine that some people can't/won't take the prices and or Disk/Ep ratio that Japan has all that obendiently.

(I'd say it's about ... 1.5 times the amount we pay for DVDS for about half and that's due to it having to go though a litteral ton of channels.)
The japanese is a VCR culture. They record out of TV everything (or do you really think everyone stays awake up to 2 / 3 am in the morning to watch the shows? Some would, but I don't think it's common place and if they didn't rely on VCR / DVDR or the likes, I don't see how certain shows would have so many fans.

My point here is, they will only spend their precious money on the series they really love, stuff they don't care, they would not buy... exactly like us, you would buy a TV series you only enjoy a bit? I don't think so...

chaos said:
I few bad for those guys, in my opinion they just draw the short straw. Will it affect fansubs? I don't think so. Will legit download affects fansubs? Definitely yes!
Conan-san said:

The japanese is a VCR culture. They record out of TV everything (or do you really think everyone stays awake up to 2 / 3 am in the morning to watch the shows? Some would, but I don't think it's common place and if they didn't rely on VCR / DVDR or the likes, I don't see how certain shows would have so many fans.

My point here is, they will only spend their precious money on the series they really love, stuff they don't care, they would not buy... exactly like us, you would buy a TV series you only enjoy a bit? I don't think so...
Fair enough.

Shh Rui, don't try and talk sense about this. If you "can't afford it" or "want to see if it's any good before spending money on it", it's JUST FINE to steal it.

For supposed "fans" of something, people are too lazy to bother earning any money enough fund it....or just too cheap.

I buy all my anime unseen...either because I've read the manga (which I BOUGHT!) or because I just like the look of it.

Lock them all up!

Aaron said:
Shh Rui, don't try and talk sense about this. If you "can't afford it" or "want to see if it's any good before spending money on it", it's JUST FINE to steal it.

For supposed "fans" of something, people are too lazy to bother earning any money enough fund it....or just too cheap.
As we all know, food and paying rent are overrated.

Maxon said:
Aaron said:

That argument simply doesn't stand up. Food and general upkeep are required. Anime is an optional luxury and is not required. If, after your common expenses, you can't afford anime (or any other luxury you could name) you simply do without it. There is absolutely no imperative forcing you to watch anime as there is with eating food so the excuse that "you couldn't afford to buy it" is invalid.

Maxon said:

Get a paper round or something? Or go for a cheaper hobby until your means improve? I don't earn all that much and can manage my budget easily enough to cope. I don't know where this delusion people have comes from that other fans are all loaded so it's ok to take your share of optional entertainment for free.

My food and rent money is obviously delivered to me separately by my fairy godmother, allowing me to spend 100% of my incomings on DVDs. Right.

R (go Aaron~)

To be honest i have mixed views :/

I see fansubs as the "catch up" that you get with normal programs, for example....eastenders have the bbc I player to catch up on any series you may have missed.
or to preview any dvds you might want to buy,

i buy all my manga, but i'll admit i've read scanned manga online, yes i know it'll affect the industry by basically stealing the manga, but i make up for it by buying the manga so it's not that bad a problem,

if the price of manga and dvds were lower the turn out would be higher. nobody wants to buy a dvd series at £20, it feels like a rip off no matter how good the anime is. it's like, i want to buy bleach and deathnote series but their £20 each, i love the manga and thats whats made me want to buy the anime, but i've considered buying them off a online auction like ebay rather than from a retail store simply because it'd be more cost effective for me. the industry is crippling itself because it hasn't realised that by lowering the prices that they will get more people buying rather than fansubbing.

Manga is usually £5.99 or £6.99....who seriously needs to pay that much for manga? the new member Julia said that manga cost her 3 euros in italy, so why do we get charged to the hilt? because were a booming country who can afford it? well the credit crunch has put an end to that reputation. if were being charged mostly for vat then how can they seriously charge so much for books??

i just dont get why people havent realised the cost implications are bound to affect the industries. their so money hungry that they'd rather charge alot and dont realise people dont want to pay an arm and leg for it.

Voddas said:
You'd be looking to find a good series for £20 0_0
Try at least £30 - £50 !

I see boxsets for £50 but series are usually around £20 its that much each for bleach and deathnote 1:1

Back