Asian Cinema Thread

Third Window Films have confirmed the releases of two films by Sogo Ishii will be available for pre-order over on Terracotta starting Friday 20th at £17.99 each (and if you buy both together, one of them will be 10% off). Despite the print run mentioned in the description, the two films will be re-released as a standard edition without FOMO for those concerned about that.

What is limited however, is the first print edition which offers a nice slipcase.

919a5GajruL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91b0pKZk6GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

91AY4E9b0aL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81CnnckrD9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81Da632bl7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81XzBBX-IyL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Well those were two very easy pre-orders. Gakuryu Ishii is one of the most thriling and consistently interesting filmmakers of the past 40 years. It's great that his work is finally becoming more widely available

An update on Sion Sono's Suicide Club from Third Window's latest podcast - due to the Sono allegations that made a VOD platform and a bunch of people who were involved with the UK release backed out, combined with the USD value getting worse, the UK release has been cancelled and for now has recommended people import Discotek's upcoming release.

An update on Sion Sono's Suicide Club from Third Window's latest podcast - due to the Sono allegations that made a VOD platform and a bunch of people who were involved with the UK release backed out, combined with the USD value getting worse, the UK release has been cancelled and for now has recommended people import Discotek's upcoming release.
Completely forgot that this was even still to be released, wasn't it due last year??
Makes sense to cancel though, I hadn't even heard about the allegations!!

Not physical media but 'Project Wolf Hunting' has been added to the Icon channel on Prime ahead of its cinema release in March (there's a free 7-day trial 😉)
It's definitely something and I would advise only going into it if you have a VERY strong stomach.
Strong like you watched 'The Sadness' and thought 'that was a bit tame' 😂

88 Films have announced more Category III films are on their way and one of them has been rated by the BBFC:
image.png

So this is The Untold Story (八仙飯店之人肉叉燒包), a 1993 crime-thriller film directed by Herman Yau and it's considered to be one of the big CIII titles out there and many had assumed this wouldn't make it to the UK due to its content. Now if this is indeed what 88 has been referring to in their teaser (as the rating description matches their official teaser) then it is officially uncut.

88 Films have announced more Category III films are on their way and one of them has been rated by the BBFC:
image.png

So this is The Untold Story (八仙飯店之人肉叉燒包), a 1993 crime-thriller film directed by Herman Yau and it's considered to be one of the big CIII titles out there and many had assumed this wouldn't make it to the UK due to its content. Now if this is indeed what 88 has been referring to in their teaser (as the rating description matches their official teaser) then it is officially uncut.
How the hell did that pass UNCUT?! 😂

88 Films have also updated the little teaser images at the bottom of their site and looks like they've got Project A as well, most likey a 4K release as Eureka's blu ray is still pretty good.

I have the US release for The Untold Story but I’d be willing to double-dip depending on what 88Films can put together.

Should be a US blu-ray set. Irongod (user on the other forum, who does work for Eureka/88) confirmed a while back that we would see a US set this year. Not 4K, as they are restored in 2K, as opposed to Police Story being restored in 4K.
Ahh that'd make sense as well. Not too bothered as I really like the current Eureka set haha

The much rumored box of Bruce Lee 4K is confirmed!
View attachment 28908

my reaction, lol:

This will be a fine addition to the rest of my Bruce Lee collection:
  • UK Master Collection
  • US Criterion Collection
  • US Legacy Collection
  • JP 4K Collection
  • US Enter the Dragon 40th
  • UK Enter the Dragon 40th (HMV)
  • UK Enter the Dragon (Steelbook)
  • US Enter the Dragon (2007)
Sadly, no Enter the Dragon on 4K in the Arrow box, however, it’s coming later this year from Warner.

But Enter the Dragon is on the side of the packaging?

I'm surprised that they were even allowed to include the old disc, but it does seem a bit redundant with the Warner UHD known to be on the horizon. It looks like a fantastic package anyway.

katsuhito-ishii-collection-blu-ray-3-discs-limited-edition-third-window-films-633295_1024x1024.jpg

A limited edition 3 disc digipack bluray set of 6 films from Japanese director Katsuhito Ishii covering his work from his debut Promise of August to his latest Norioka Workshop. Featuring new, director approved masters (sourced from their original negatives) of Shark Skin Man, Party 7 and Promise of August.

Limited to just 2000 copies.

Disc 1:
Shark Skin Man & Peach Hip Girl 鮫肌男と桃尻女 (1998)
Promise of August 8月の約束 (1995)
Special Features: New interview with Katsuhito Ishii, Shark Skin Man director audio commentary, Video Essay by Robert Edwards

Disc 2:
PARTY 7 (2000)
Special Features: Audio Commentary by Arne Venema and Mike Leeder, Storyboard version of the film, Making Of, Alternate Ending, Archival interview with Katsuhito Ishii, Original Trailer, Original Teaser

Disc 3:
Sorasoi そらそい (2008)
Hello Junichi ハロー!純一 (2014)
Norioka Workshop ノリオカワークショップ (2022)

Katsuhito Ishii Collection (blu ray, 3 discs) limited edition boxset

Back