Your viewing journal

Last couple weeks, I've been watching the latest titles from my backlog

Familiar of Zero, Season 1 -> 3

Interesting concept of a show, with a slow building story. Although the last episode of season 3 (the OVA) was a bit fan service happy (the traditional swimsuit/bikini episode). Will start with the 4th season tonight

Do it Yourself!! episode 2 Redecorating.

Mob Psycho 100 III episode 2 Hunter and haunted.

The Eminence in Shadow episode 2 Gain and loss.

31 Days of Halloween 2022! Day XII: The Last Matinee (2020) (Film)

One Piece: The Movie (2000) (Film)
A straightforward storyline that didn’t offer much memorability outside of the first appearance of “Gold and Oden”, a music motif used throughout the anime. 2.5/5

One Piece: Clockwork Island Adventure (2001) (Film)
A film that sets the straw hats up at a disadvantage, whilst also sporting some well-animated fights. It’s just a shame the villain is naff but his crew make up for it. 3.5/5

One piece: Chopper Kingdom of Strange Animal Island (2002) (Film)
Sadly this story did very little for me which is a shame as Chopper deserves the limelight more from time to time. 2/5

Last edited:
Call of the Night ep13 [End]

A decent ending to what was, overall, a pretty solid series. I wasn't entirely keen on the brief late-game shift into more violent conflict, as I think it runs counter to the generally relaxed atmosphere of the show and it's only invited even more comparison with Monogatari, but I can appreciate that they handled that aspect perfectly well - the vampire killer detective was genuinely unnerving.

Uncle From Another World ep5-7

Such a shame the production for this has been held up due to Covid, but I can understand them not wanting to take unnecessary risk.

Overlord IV (English Dub) Episode 1-13 (Complete)

Chainsaw Man Episode 1 Massacre.

Encouragement of Climb: Next Summit Episode 2 Another recap.

Peter Grill and the Philosoper's Time: Super Extra (Uncensored) Episode 1 Horny goblins.

Shinobi no Ittoki Episode 2 Test.

Chainsaw Man ep1

Would sum up my initial impressions by describing James Cameron’s famous pitch meeting, but instead of writing ‘Alien$’ on the board, Big Jimmy writes ‘Devilman’, then crosses out ‘Devil’ and writes ‘Chainsaw’.

All joking aside, it’s fine. Not sure I wouldn't rather have more Dorohedoro instead, but I can appreciate the craft that’s gone into it, and if you miss 90s ultraviolence, fill your boots.

Peter Grill And The Philosopher's Time Super EXtra ep1: Sloppy animation can't spoil the fact that this is still a fun, utterly stupid fantasy show. The central premise is unchanged - Peter has no willpower, everyone wants him, sexy women are everywhere - and everyone (other than Peter, who is still enjoying himself quite a lot in spite of it all) has agency over their terrible life choices. Fan service shows where the women are actually having fun are rare treats. The short episodes are disappointing but at the same time, I think 99% of the terrible isekai shows would benefit from similar treatment to keep the pace from dragging. I don't even mind the inadequate censorship light beams. An easy keeper.

MSG The Witch From Mercury ep1: Not strictly a first episode debut since I watched 'episode zero' a while ago but it's been ages since we last had a regular new Gundam show like this. I'm not hooked yet - the school stuff is either going to be a decent starting point or a nuisance - but I'll keep watching because it's Gundam and I already have a lot of questions lined up which need answers.

More Than A Married Couple, But Not Lovers ep1: This could have been either an awesome examination of gender roles and marriage in modern society or a sleazy trash show which was entertaining in its own right, but instead it went for the middle ground and became a tedious, rote romantic comedy with nonsensical writing. There are a few vague attempts at fan service but the main character is so aggressively ordinary that nothing feels earned or worthwhile. Why can't the show be about his more-interesting friend instead?! Or even the creepy teachers, because the core setup of spying on students and giving them points for seducing one another under threat of being unable to graduate is ripe for social commentary! I'm also quite bored of the overdone 'sexy gal whose sexualised school uniform makes no sense in-world, yet she's actually secretly innocent' archetype; it's a transparent, lazy attempt for the writer to have their cake and eat it by combining every idealised fantasy girl into a single package. All that this show achieved was reminding me that My Dress Up Darling did pent-up teenage romance with sexy themes way, way better.

Chainsaw Man ep1: Ehhh. There's obviously been a great deal of hype but I can't handle the combination of great-looking 2D animation and glaringly-obvious CG, especially when the CG is used for major scenes. It's not what I'm here for, in spite of the lovely design work. I'd give it another episode or two before making a decision if it was all 2D animated but the way it's been done it's an easy drop, making room on the schedule for better stuff. Maybe I'll check out the manga instead. Excellent ending song, though, I'll definitely be buying that.

R

Do It Yourself!! Episode 2 Makeover.

Immoral Guild (Uncensored) Episode 2 New members.

Love Flops Episode 1 Coincidences.

The Eminence in Shadow Episode 2 Gained and lost.

Reincarnated as a Sword Episode 3 Leveling up.

Love Flops ep 1
All of the tags!
A harem show that introduces every character in the first episode, so not much screen time to go on at the moment, but seem like an eclectic bunch.

Do It Yourself! ep 2
Sign of the Times.

Akiba Maid War ep 2
You bet!

Bibliophile Princess episode 2 Misunderstanding.

31 Days of Halloween! Day XIII: King Kong (1933) (Film)

One piece: Dead End Adventure (2003)(Film)
My favourite of the first four films, this great race set up is a rare time that one of these stories actually takes place mostly at sea as opposed to on land, the the villain and side characters are good fun too. 3.5/5

One piece: Curse of the Sacred Sword (2004) (Film)
I went into this one enthusiastic for a Zoro-focused story, only to be disappointed and left underwhelmed. I think Zoro also works better as a supporting character than a lead. 2.5/5

Last edited:
Can I Make Your Ears Happy in 180 Seconds? ep 1
ASMR
This was out a year ago and was on my PTW, but never got picked up. The same studio are doing the Dummy Head show this season and also seems to have not been picked up, so I thought I'd check this out. It doesn't seem to have the same cast of characters as DH and is literally just an ASMR so might not continue, but they're only shorts.

Immoral Guild ep 2 (uncensored)
More new recruits.

Urusai Yatsura (2022) ep 1
Seems like it'll be a rapid fire rom-com, that's not particularly funny so far. Lots of frantic slapstick and shouting.
Love the aesthetic though, very retro but with a modern touch. OP and ED are pretty damn good too (is it me or are most of the credit sequences this season bangers! At least for the shows I've been watching).

Mob Psycho 100 III ep 2
Design inspiration.

Yuru Camp s1 e11 (dub)
Christmas camp.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Season 2 (English Dub) Episode 1-12 (Complete)

Akiba Maid War Episode 2 High-stakes.

Bibliophile Princess Episode 2 Misunderstanding.

My Master Has No Tail Episode 3 Behind the scenes.

Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 1 Let's see how this new adaption fairs.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These - Intrigue episode 39 A favour.

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer episode 14 Next time.

My Master Has No Tail episode 3 Apprenticeship.

31 Days of Halloween 2022! Day XIV: Dario Argento’s Profondo Rosso (1975) & Dario Argento’s Tenebre (1982) (Films)

One Piece: Baron Omatsuri and the Secret Island (Film)
The strongest of the early OP films and the darkest too. If you only watch one film from this initial run, make it this one. 4/5

One Piece: Giant Mecha Soldier of Karakuri Castle (Film)
This almost feels like a parody of the earlier films and it goes for a mostly full comedy approach. 3/5

Back