UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Spotted a Future Boy Conan complete series on blu ray on AoL, did I miss this announcement or did AoL jump the gun?

Edit: reading the description says comes with a rigid case "to fit part 2" so I'm assuming as AoL just copy n paste the info they're given it's not as complete as one would expect a complete collection to be or more likely AL did the old 'just copy the other version no one will notice' 😂

Also fingers crossed its just a copy of the French blu ray as that is really nice and the 4K was far too rich for my blood.

CONAN_INT_3D_BOX-resize_87c7d29d-b89e-48e9-9e7c-dc831c1dace9_x1024.pngRESIZE-CONAN_3D_topview-BD_V2_x1024.jpg

Last edited:

It's limited to Anime Ltd store and Zavvi or not? They removed "Zavvi" and note about exclusive, so it could be available in other stores?

It's limited to Anime Ltd store and Zavvi or not? They removed "Zavvi" and note about exclusive, so it could be available in other stores?
It's available on AOL. The exclusive part was erroneously copied from Belle, it isn't even listed on Zavvi yet and they've made no mention of it being their exclusive on SMS or via email.

Given there hasn't been a home release of the movie, a new season has been announced and Crunchyroll has invested significantly in it (making the dub and localising Fantastic Days), is it a safe bet AL have lost Konosuba to the new conglomerate?

Given there hasn't been a home release of the movie, a new season has been announced and Crunchyroll has invested significantly in it (making the dub and localising Fantastic Days), is it a safe bet AL have lost Konosuba to the new conglomerate?

I forgot when and where but I remember hearing that someone from Anime Limited did mention they have the rights to the movie, they're very likely waiting for Discotek to release it as AL's sets use Discotek's discs.

For the future of KonoSuba! though, that's up in the air, would love AL to be able to release the two new seasons in the future of course though.

Is there even the remotest update at all on AL's Blu-ray release of We Rent Tsukumogami? They announced the license quite a while ago, and then not a peep from them since. I've been really chomping at the bit for a physical release; I even imported the Japanese B2 poster for the series. I don't want to see that series dropped from being released.

tsukumogami2b2.jpg

Last edited:
So, I have Future Boy Conan (Part 1) in hand and it's a beauty. When it was first revealed, I was a bit disappointed that it didn't use the art from the Japanese set but this has a nice, subtle embossing that actually looks quite classy and the silhouette style reminds me of the Japanese Ghibli Blu-Rays. Hopefully if/when Anime Limited licence other very early Miyazaki/Takahata like Anne of Green Gables, Marco, Panda Go Panda etc. then they can have a consistent art style like this one.

As for what's on the disc - I've only sampled the first couple of episodes as I'm saving it until Part 2 is out but what I've seen is very pleasing. It's not going to blow anyone's socks off as a 4K reference disc - it's a TV production from 1978 and in that sense it was a surprising choice as the first anime series to be released on the format. However, while there's some damage as you'd expect, it still looks pretty splendid at its best and certainly the definitive presentation of the series.

As a minor gripe, I can't find any way of watching with the original Japanese credits. The English credits are pretty well done and the font matching to the original Japanese is a nice touch but I would have obviously opted for the originals if I had a choice, and it always seems awkward to have English dub credits despite watching in Japanese

As for the series itself, I'll save further commentary for after Part 2 but - as I've said for many years- this is an essential Miyazaki work and practically every theme, if not every recurring element in his later feature film career, can be traced back to this, the Miyazaki urtext. I won't go as far as claiming that it's altogether his best work - his later films are understandably more polished and more refined but there's an appeal in and of itself in Conan's roughness, its freshness; it's the work of a filmmaker putting his ideas out there, who doesn't know if he's ever going to get to do so ever again. Its release here is long overdue. Thank you, Anime Ltd.

Back