Your viewing journal

April 9th & 10th.

Akebi's Sailor Uniform (English Dub) Episode 11

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba - Entertainment District Arc (English Dub) Episode 8

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (English Dub) Episode 24

My Dress-Up Darling (English Dub) Episode 11

The Strongest Sage with the Weakest Crest (English Dub) Episode 8

Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! Episode 1 Infuriating.

In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki Episode 1 Uncertain.

Love Live! Nijigasaki High School Idol Club Season 2 Episode 2 Evidence.

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie Episode 1
Perfect-game.

Spy x Family Episode 1 Decision.

Trapped in a Dating Sim: The World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs Episode 2 Tea party.

Yatogame-chan Kansatsu Nikki Season 4 Episode 1

Spice & Wolf season 2 episodes 7-13: selling your friends was never going to be a good option, was it? Now we have to wait for series 3 to see whether they find her home.

(also two Godzilla and two Mae West films - so many boxsets, so little time :) )

Expelled from Paradise (Blu-ray)

I've been curious to watch this for a while and to be honest I didn't know quite what to expect as I quite like Seiji Mizushima's later work (his earlier mecha shows were very average imho but hit his stride with Gundam 00) and I remember there was a lot of publicity about how they were trying to recreate 'cel painted' animation with CG and in that respect the film is actually partially successful as it is a great looking film. I liked it a lot, a well paced, well executed sci-fi story.

Doraemon - What am I for Momotarou

There is finally a decent fansub of this Doraemon special, I had seen a badly version before when preparing the Doraemon podcast episode. An early directorial credit for future Sunrise mecha maestro, the late Takeyuki Kanda, it's a lovely short film.

Plastic Little

It's been almost 10 years to the month since I last saw this and a comment by @Scrambled Valkyrie prompted to watch it again. Seemingly universally derided in Western fandom (jiggle counter anyone), it's actually a really entertaining and fantastically animated action sci-fi OVA if you can see past the fanservice elements.

Macross 7 - Episodes 29 - 31 (Blu-ray)

Ranma 1/2 - Episode 80 - 82 (Blu-ray)

Haganai Next episodes 1-9: second season of this bitchy school harem show. It's still entertaining but there are a couple of worrying aspects. Two little girls, one of which is a "super genius", as well as another girl who is a "super genius" but who is also sex obsessed and well stacked, as well as another girl who is well stacked and top of all the academic and sports lists (so yet another "super genius"?). And let's not forget the girl who thinks she's a boy. And they of course all have the hots for the same boy. That meeting room must be swimming in pheromones!

SPY x FAMILY ep1: I had heard all of the positive buzz about this series but wasn't sure that a shounen manga would be able to provide me with a satisfying spy show. Fortunately, this one capably switches out the genre's darker moments with comedy and manages to waltz through the potential minefield of its subject matter (which is quite serious at times!) without ever letting anything drag or grow tired. It feels polished, intelligent and appealingly silly, with good pacing and slick animation. I felt engaged throughout the first episode so I guess I'll keep watching. Deaimon's got competition if I can't find room in my schedule for two shows about awkward guys looking after precocious youngsters this season!

AOASHI ep1: A sports show (football) about a hot-blooded schoolboy with natural gifts and determination who limits his future educational prospects rather unfortunately when he flips out and head butts a bully in front of a large audience. At first it seems as though our hero is a bit of an idiot but there's more going on beneath the surface; I liked that he was actually a conscientious, decent person and his friends genuinely seem to care about him. There's a dollop of family drama on top of the football shenanigans and it's nice to have another sports series about someone who is already into the sport rather than explaining everything to a genius newbie from the basics (which has been a common pattern lately). I think the series benefits from originating as a seinen title because everything is more grounded and relatable. The animation was also above average which is always a pleasant surprise for the genre; the whole thing looked pretty good.

Dance Dance Danseur ep1: Another seinen sports series from the same magazine as AOASHI! This time, though, the writer is George Asakura and the distinctive aesthetic is a lot scratchier, like a josei/shoujo romance manga. The animation is also a lot more adventurous during the dance scenes, which is fortunate because a series about ballet has to get the atmosphere right to have a hope of captivating its audience. The main drive of the first episode is the male lead trying to avoid dealing with years of internalised anxiety over his hobbies; he's terrified of being viewed as anything other than the manliest of boys so he doesn't want anyone to know that he secretly loves ballet. A similar premise to last season's My Dress Up Darling, then, except that Dance Dance Danseur seems to want to delve a little deeper into those issues instead of using them as a springboard to focus solely on its leads' relationship. A classmate who also loves ballet happens to notice Jumpei's feelings and pushes him towards confronting his demons before it's too late; he's not getting any younger and playing catch-up to unlock his full potential will require a lot of commitment. Since I watched them one after the other I think the interpersonal drama of Dance Dance Danseur cleaves closer to my taste than the football show, though both were enjoyable watches. Definitely a keeper.

In the Heart of Kunoichi Tsubaki ep1: I have mixed opinions on this, which is still better than the general despair I've felt towards the earlier shows I've been checking out. Tsubaki is the ninja equivalent of an eager schoolgirl attending a single sex school in the middle of nowhere, where the girls are so sheltered by their teacher that they genuinely know absolutely nothing about men other than whispered rumours. The rumours themselves are the main source of the jokes in the first episode and anybody unfortunate enough to have gone to a real single sex school will immediately recognise the absurd melodrama of an imaginative young mind. Unfortunately for the teacher, the girls are starting to get old enough to become curious about the local male ninja and Tsubaki's group is desperate to steal a peak at a real-life specimen. The casual use of ninjutsu adds a fresh twist to the girls' stupid adventures and the designs are nice and distinct from one another. The only thing that's giving me pause so far is that the general aesthetic is quite sexy and with everyone drawn to look so young, there are only so many barely-clad teen butts I can see before I start to zone out - even though in the context of the setting it makes sense that they'd all be comfortable dressing and acting that way. At least when it sticks to comedy it hits the mark better than that boring healer show.

R

Ascendance of a Bookworm Season 3 episode 27 Patron.

Healer Girl episode 2 Through the cracks.

Bleach (Partial rewatch) episodes 269-282

Last edited:
TBH I've just been repeatedly having Janos Vitez/Johnny Corncob (the first Hungarian animated film, Marcell Jankovics, 1973) on in the background as it makes a good having on in the background kind of film? I really ought to pay proper attention to it at least once through but yea XP It's got some of the most creative visuals I've seen in any film and is also clearly heavily influenced by Beatles themed animation Yellow Submarine, the score is nice sounding as well. I can be absolutely terrible at paying attention to subtitled things sometimes but this movie just feels so comforting and nostalgic to me (I have seen it before years ago but not as a child though). IDK I feel a bit silly being like "IT'S SO GOOD" when I'm not really paying attention to it consistently and I've prob had it on all the way through about 5 times in the past few days, but yeah it's a cool movie and gets my recommendation for it's lovely drawings and animation. I also love that Johnny himself is a bit like the Hungarian (more hippie) equivalent of Kenshiro from FOTNS, he's manly as hecc with a glorious moustache, bell-bottomed trousers and a really bitchin' big coat that he can wrap around him and his lovely sweetheart Iluska with room to spare XD

Political opinions on certain aspects of the film in spoiler tag

I'm aware that the portrayal of the Turks in the film is very negative and read an explanation of why this is on the IMDb that helped me understand the perspective of the author of the poem the film is based on, and Jankovics the director of the film, a lot better. I don't agree with their views but the tendency among some on the left to just sweep such things under the rug in favour of a very simplistic message is not helping these things either IMO.

"The original author of the János vitéz poem Sándor Petöfi and film director Marcell Jankovics were both very nationalistic, passionate Hungarians. Beginning from the 1200s, the Tartars (actually Mongols) repeatedly invaded Hungary, pillaging, raping and slaughtering Hungarians en masse. Historical estimates claim somewhere between a third and half of all Hungarians were killed during these invasions.

Following the 1500s, after decades of hard-fought wars, the Turkish have also invaded and occupied the country for nearly a century and a half, which Hungarians still consider a painful part of history to this day. The deep animosity against Turkish invaders was even immortalized in Hungary's National Anthem, as well as famous literary works like the novel Crescent Moon (Egri Csillagok) and the poem John the Valiant (János Vitéz), on which this film was based. Jankovics has been especially outspoken of his belief that Islamism has no place in Europe, though this has not stopped him from respecting their own cultural heritage and even contributing to the Hungarian release of Turkish literature with his illustrations. In his final years, he has been a critic of EU migration laws and argued in favor of cultural separation.

Petöfi lived under the Habsburg Empire's oppression and eventually lost his life in the failed war for freedom of 1848-49. His poem was deliberately written to "boost the spirit" of his Hungarian readers, as the nation had harbored centuries of resentment against their former enemies such as the Mongols and Turks. The poem is highly nationalistic but also a complete work of fiction, with chivalrous Hungarian hussars defending France from Turkish invaders, something that had no basis in real history. On their way from Hungary to France, the hussars also come across evil, half-human, half-dog Mongols, but a Saracen king comes to their rescue. By showing Hungary's army holding its own and even beating his nation's former enemies, Petöfi's poem gave a sort of catharsis to its readers, struggling under Habsburg rule and its censorship.

In a similar vein, Jankovics lived under strict communist oppression and the regime had targeted his family personally. The movie accentuates the negative portrayal of the Turks and Mongols compared to the original poem and shows the Hungarian hussars in an even more positive light. Notably, the Saracen king doesn't appear in the film, the Hungarians outwit the dog-men Mongols by themselves. Similar to the poem, the film was also partially meant to serve as a nationalistic "boost" to its Hungarian audience who had still felt the pain of centuries of defeat, mistreatment and cultural destruction. By the time of the film's creation, Hungary has been weakened and beaten not only by the Habsburg monarchy but also the victors of both World Wars, and was under Soviet oppression. This might account for why the film is even more nationalistic than the poem and why it shows the Turks and Mongols in such an extremely negative light.

Both Petöfi and Jankovics had felt that Hungarians needed to see their nation win against their age-old adversaries, even if only in fiction. Censorship forbade them from criticizing their current oppressors, so the enemies of the past had to play these villainous roles against the film's and poem's fictional Hungarian hussar army. Even in the 21st century, there is still much resentment among Hungarians toward other nations and cultures who have slighted them, after their country has been on the losing end of many conflicts and got constantly invaded and occupied by various outside forces ever since the 800s. Many Hungarians still see the exaggerated ("racist") portrayals seen in the film as justified and traditional elements of their literature and art."

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie ep1: The colourful shading is pleasant and the designs are quite distinctive. That's the only thing I'll remember about this series long term because it's so fluffily inoffensive that nothing else about it stands out. The pacing is sluggish and the sole central gag - that Shikimori looks cute at first glance but is tough enough to protect her hapless boyfriend - is simply repeated over and over in different settings. Had the writer stepped out of their comfort zone this could have been an interesting exploration of subverting gender stereotypes within a romantic relationship, like the similar-but-substantially-better Otomen. Instead, it's just a series of gags about a cute girl who is differently cute when she does cool stuff. Eh.

Skeleton Knight in Another World ep1: The entire plot is in the title; it's a game world, he died and woke up in it with overpowered items, blah blah blah. We've seen this a million times. The twist here is that under his armour, our hero is a skeleton! Which isn't a big problem because he can just keep his armour on, and indeed it's not even a unique premise for anime, and it's never really explored (he seems to be able to eat and drink normally) aside from making the hero paranoid about removing his helmet. I think the main problem, however, is that the first episode's tone is all over the place - it starts off with a dark scene, then switches to the main character aimlessly sightseeing without a care in the world, then lurches back and forth between those extremes to establish a typical isekai routine. Except that for some reason the only way that the writer seems to know how to imply peril is to show helpless maidens being violently assaulted for the hero to save, which is lazy writing at its very worst. Especially when the hero idly stands by wittering to himself for five minutes before stepping in. Fortunately, the girls don't act even remotely like real people and moments after the assault they don't seem to care about what happened any more than the skeleton knight cares that he's probably dead. I'm also not a big fan of the random switching to CG for the main character whenever the animators can no longer be bothered. The opening song/animation is pretty great, though. What a shame that the series to which it's attached is so wretchedly subpar.

Kaguya-sama: Love Is War -Ultra Romantic- ep1: After enduring that I needed to break out something that was likely to be better. So I did and now I feel bad for the other comedy shows this season; they don't stand a chance. Kaguya-sama is back with its impeccable comic timing, melodrama and zany characters, and within each of the short stories that make up the first episode there are more laughs to be found than in all of its competitors combined. There's a maturity and intelligence in the overblown misadventures of the romantically-unfortunate student council which has remained fresh even three seasons in, offering puns, sight gags and references at such a frenetic pace that it's impossible not to get swept away. The romance is also better than in most actual romance shows, despite never really going anywhere. Kaguya-sama: Love Is War is simply so much more lively than its rivals that it puts them to shame. (And yet of course it's the one which will probably never get a UK disc release. The world doesn't make any sense.)

R

Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie ep1: Had the writer stepped out of their comfort zone this could have been an interesting exploration of subverting gender stereotypes within a romantic relationship, like the similar-but-substantially-better Otomen.

Was Otomen ever an anime or manga only? :)

Tragically just a manga, like a lot of great shoujo titles :(

R

I read a volume or two years ago and thought it was a bit too fluffy but maybe I'd like it more now, it is a nice premise for a series and that premise is what made me give it a try. If I'm not mistaken the author Aya Kanno also created Requiem for the Rose King? :)

I read a volume or two years ago and thought it was a bit too fluffy but maybe I'd like it more now, it is a nice premise for a series and that premise is what made me give it a try. If I'm not mistaken the author Aya Kanno also created Requiem for the Rose King? :)

That's right. One of the characters in Otomen annoyed me and some of its exploration of gender fell short of what she could have done with the topic, but overall there were a lot of sweet characters and seeing them figuring out how to be happy made me happy too :)

R

Haganai Next episodes 10-12 (and extras): very strange final episode. The rest of the series was entertaining. Two (out of three) commentaries from the VA's barely mention the actual show. There was some rather rude imagery fleeting across the screen in books and photo albums and a lot of swearing. I'd rate the whole series at 6ish out of 10.

Josee, The Tiger And The Fish
Sweet and charming. There was a realness to the characters in how most of them were both likable and deeply unlikable at the same. The emotional beats in the 2nd half were all done really well. Not the best film of its ilk but very well done and I'll definitely watch it again as some point.

I’m quitting Heroing episode 2 Misjudged.

Tomodachi Game episode 2 Confessions.

Bleach (Partial rewatch) episodes 283-286, 288-296

Back