UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Got ya. I'm sticking to my Dybex Edition then.
You don't happen to know anything about the upcoming Black Lagoon release in terms of picture quality compared to the Kaze release? Or if there's any hope that they'll fix the english dub? It always sounded very muffled/muted compared to the ambient sounds to me.
Seems to be using the Funimation BD. The wrong gamma on the Funimation BD worsened the banding that already existed in the Kazé and Japanese BDs (see comparison #3) https://slow.pics/c/ghlTKJtx

English dub is in 5.1 on Funi BD just like the Geneon DVD.

Last edited:
Seems to be using the Funimation BD. The wrong gamma on the Funimation BD worsened the banding that already existed in the Kazé and Japanese BDs (see comparison #3) https://slow.pics/c/ghlTKJtx
Oof. The one on Dutch's face is really terrible. Thank you for the pictures. I'm staying away from this new AlltheAnime release and waiting for the Kaze rerelease in February.

Edit: Should've checked my caps-a-holic link better. The banding is very striking in Cowboy Bebop.

Last edited:
Probably the wrong section. But is anyone else at the evangelion death rebirth cinema showing and it displayed on the screen ‘this is presented in the classic dub’ but then proceeded to play the new Netflix dub?

Rather annoying as I probably wouldn’t have bothered if it didn’t advertise the classic dub.

Waiting to see if the end of evangelion is the same.
It won't help with the disappointment, but under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have a right to a refund where a product or service is not as described. There's usually a 30-day time limit to claim for a refund.

Because the majority of people have no problems with them. I have had more packages from AL arrive damaged than from Zavvi. And that was only one package.
I guess everyone has different experiences, depending how parcels are handled in their own area’s sorting offices. I haven’t had a damaged package from AL yet, touch wood.

Wrong gamma in many episodes, and banding and other artifacts, but it's still better than the noise reduced to hell and poorly encoded Funimation BD. Episode 2 English dub track is of lower quality than the Funimation BD.

The Dybex and Dynit BDs are the ones to own for best picture quality.
A shame the Dybex and Dynit BDs don’t have English subs.

Hmm, the Finnish Post app send me a notification that a package from UK is coming to me and it's delivered by The Hut Group. I wonder if this is the NGE CE from Zavvi? Though I still haven't got a shipping notification from them and my order status is still "awaiting dispatch".

Hmm, the Finnish Post app send me a notification that a package from UK is coming to me and it's delivered by The Hut Group. I wonder if this is the NGE CE from Zavvi? Though I still haven't got a shipping notification from them and my order status is still "awaiting dispatch".

I just googled and Zavvi are part of The Hut Group so I reckon it is NGE, unless there is something else you have ordered from either Zavvi or The Hut Group recently that has yet to arrive? :)

Saw Evangelion today at the Odeon in Dundee - it was fantastic and they fixed the dub issue as well. Really glad I went to see it, saw so many details that I had missed at home.
Likewise, I watched it dubbed at my local Odeon today and it was a fantastic experience. So very glad I could experience it on the big screen after not being able to go to SLA. The sound effects and music were incomparable to any home viewing and despite multiple watches I too picked up subtle bits I'd missed. Maybe not having to read subtitles helped with that? Also hearing the different accents in English for Seele was interesting. Now I will live in the hope that we get releases/re-releases of the rebuild movies.

Saw Evangelion today at the Odeon in Dundee
Blimey, I live in Dundee and didn't even know it was on. 😅
(Or maybe I just forgot? I think I might've looked it up a little while back but then dismissed it after seeing that there was no subtitled screening.)

How was the screening? Busy?

Blimey, I live in Dundee and didn't even know it was on. 😅
(Or maybe I just forgot? I think I might've looked it up a little while back but then dismissed it after seeing that there was no subtitled screening.)

How was the screening? Busy?
Was pretty much full, think there was only one unoccupied seat. The screening on Thursday night sold out completely.

It has been disappointing that there's been so few subtitled screenings (and that there hasn't been one near me, but that's the nature of the game).

It won't help with the disappointment, but under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 you have a right to a refund where a product or service is not as described. There's usually a 30-day time limit to claim for a refund.

Though, as the definition of "goods" in the act is "anything physical which you can move" I'll be surprised it it actually applies in this context? Especially since there isn't a transfer of rights or ownership.

It has been disappointing that there's been so few subtitled screenings (and that there hasn't been one near me, but that's the nature of the game).

Though, as the definition of "goods" in the act is "anything physical which you can move" I'll be surprised it it actually applies in this context? Especially since there isn't a transfer of rights or ownership.
I'm certainly no legal expert, but I think it depends on the cinema and their policies. Not sure about refunds but I know from friends' experiences they've at least got a ticket for another screening when there's been technical problems.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but I think it depends on the cinema and their policies. Not sure about refunds but I know from friends' experiences they've at least got a ticket for another screening when there's been technical problems.

I think the cinema might well give you a refund if you ask, but I'm not sure that particular Act would cover it. Also, you'd probably have a much stronger case if you left during the screening itself rather than asking for it afterwards.

Yeah. It seems like the cinema might be a bit funny if you stayed for the whole thing, since it's basically saying, "This was wrong but I watched it all anyway". You couldn't have known the dub would be fixed in later showings but equally you did watch a whole screening which is what your ticket was for.

Back