Netflix releases new trailer for its live action Cowboy Bebop adaptation

Jon O Fun

Combat Butler
New Cowboy Bebop live action teaser.
Whereas the first OP recreation trailer was good and fun this just seems a bit too campy and cartoon'ish...
Still going to reserve judgement until I've seen it but my guard is back up.

I love the original Cowboy Bebop and I'm actually quite excited for this new show, tbh I like that it's got a slightly different vibe rather than just being the original shot for shot or w/e, could be really fun I think. I also really enjoyed Space Dandy and have both UK CEs :) As for the critics best 100 thing I do think it's unfair that anime is ignored as much as it is, like they asked 206 critics but it would appear didn't bother to make sure there were a few who are passionate about anime so it would get a fair shake in the list. I'm glad if Avatar TLA made it though as that's an amazing series that def deserves a place on a list like that. Interesting that Steven Universe made it but Adventure Time didn't (I love both). I'm also really sad to see Buffy the Vampire Slayer get snubbed as that's an amazing show. But that said there are a lot of really good shows on the list and I don't want to be overly negative about it. It's not like anime fandom is gonna die cuz of the (to a degree) ignorance of mainstream critics! Really pleased that Mob Psycho 100 is getting a new season, I still need to finish season 2 so this should spur me on to make the time before season 3 airs :)

They certainly put a lot of effort into that trailer, but kinda feels more like a Guardians of the galaxy TV show spinoff.

Hmm, Guardians of the Galaxy - yeah, that movie caused me stop watching any further Marvel movies after that, haven't seen one since.

And, I guess I must be watching too much Hentai lately or something, but I just wanted to mention that every time I see CommanderZx2's current avatar, the first thing that pops into my head is some girl in a pink printed yukata doing some suspect yuri position on the pink-haired girl, lol. 😅

But then, that's coming from the guy who first made the comment about AL's elephant butt logo, so I see all kinds of things - don't take me too seriously!

Haha, now that will be something else for everyone not to be able to un-see. 😁

Last edited:
Hmm, Guardians of the Galaxy - yeah, that movie caused me stop watching any further Marvel movies after that, haven't seen one since.

And, I guess I must be watching too much Hentai lately or something, but I just wanted to mention that every time I see CommanderZx2's current avatar, the first thing that pops into my head is some girl in a pink printed yukata doing some suspect yuri position, lol. 😅

But then, that's coming from the guy who first made the comment about AL's elephant butt logo, so I see all kinds of things - don't take me too seriously!

Haha, now that will be something else for everyone not to be able to un-see. 😁
Haha, it is Kuuko from Haiyoru so you aren't too far from the truth there!

Anyfoo that rates Bebop less than 8/10 ain't got a clue, and shouldn't be commenting on an adaptation of it. I don't care if you're a newer anime fan, have some class if you're British. Twas a work only a fool would try to imitate, or the creatively bankrupt. The anime had an excellent dub, and was aimed at western audiences to begin with. Only thing worth adding is a real corgi cast as Ein. If it can play chess, all will be forgiven.

As for the trailer, the problem be obvious: it's trying to be a cartoon in real life. Much of the comedy, like the mushroom episode and Ed's character would not transfer over without cringe or acting glol, so they'd be wise to cut some aspects entirely... but then they'd lose the charm the original had with its episodic variety. The trailer doubles down on being cartoonish with parody-esque chatter about the bounty not being the target/can't claim bounty if headshot. In fairness there's no way Spike as a short asian, Jet cosplaying as a black man and Faye with clothes on could hope to sell it. No matter what they showed, it wouldn't match up. Even the most funny parts could be cringey acted out in real life. It's doomed, doomed I say~

That aside, I will try it. I've got to see them turn Vicious into Sephiroth. That part of the trailer with him cummin was not so great. I did like the pole swingering bit. Been awhile since last watched Matrix Reloaded. They're at least trying to sell mini Spike as a martial artist with stunt doubles, by the looks. That made me more hopeful. Can't see it being anything more than anime fanservice or cringe, but either way: I'll try for Ein. Wish I had a corgi instead of a westie tbh... 🖕🐕🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

Last edited by a moderator:
Back