Upcoming UK Anime Blu-ray & DVD Artwork

Yeah partly depends on the CE, if it has art books (which in the case of Dr stone and Goblin slayer they do). If it's just an art box and art cards, then I may consider a steelbook over the CE/LE (art books (with turn arounds) are usually what sell it for me on CE's).

The steelbooks in this case holding all 4 disc is the main thing that kinda make me think maybe, as I often make/switch cases of part set into a 4 way season case. They do look nice but only if you get them in nice pristine condition and undented from it's postal adventures (NOTE: I don't blame posties for this it the intital packaging choices).
I think the starting price of £40 (assuming I saw /remembered the price correctly) is not quite going to sway me there as I already own all four of those season in CE's or standard.

For those wanting to double dip like Pro's, switching a normal case with a steelbook should work, but obviously depending how much you take it in and out of the CE may cause wear on the steelbook (and assuming the steel book is the size I'm expecting):
20211012_184421.jpg

Do people generally like steelbooks over CE's? or maybe even buying both?

Think we did get a limited run of Goblin Slayer CE's here, but Slime and DITF didn't have one, Dr Stone did but it wasn't my cuppa tea.

I really love AL CE's with digipaks, but their CE's with Blu-ray cases, not as much. I do like that their CE chipboard boxes are not so wide, so are fairly space-saving on the shelf. I never collected steelbooks for any live action movies, I only started with anime - my first ones were the AL steelcases for titles like Bayonetta, Elfen Lied, and Gankutsuou, so steels are fairly new to me. The benefits of steelbooks as Collector's Editions is that they take up less shelf space and fit nicely into plastic steelbook protectors, which I also use to store all the standard anime Blu-ray and DVD singles in my collection, especially ones with slipcovers.

Last edited:
Same for me and Slime. Love the look of that steelbook but I already have the standards so I'll give it some thought first
I like the look of the Slime one and as I have Red Carpet that's 10% off so may trade in the singles at some point 🤷‍♂️

BUT!!!! Don't forget this is a double team effort of Funi & Zavii so I'm sure they'll find someway to **** it up.....

For those wanting to double dip like Pro's, switching a normal case with a steelbook should work
A CE box with a steelbook in it: best..CE...ever!

I'm of the same opinion as @Girls with Guns where a CE digipak with beautiful artwork can be quite a sight to behold (the napping Princess one from AL comes to mind) but the steelbooks can also look lovely, whilst being subtle and fitting like ninjas amongst the amaray cases on the shelf. I guess for me it boils down to whichever version has the best artwork.

Think we did get a limited run of Goblin Slayer CE's here, but Slime and DITF didn't have one, Dr Stone did but it wasn't my cuppa tea.

I prefer CEs because normally steelbooks are merely just a case and nothing else, though they can look nice. It probably depends sometimes too on what the CE is like. Slime never got one in the UK annoyingly but I liked it enough to import the US one and I do think that looks nicer than the steelbook design. With Goblin Slayer meanwhile, I think the design of the steelbook is actual a bit better.
But it does all come to personal preference too. A steelbook can be quite appealing to a series you are less passionate about in comparison to a CE, and the reverse is true as well.

I'm so happy I'm not as pessimistic as most people on this forum. I'm sure it'll be fine lol
I'm sure it's just me who's the pessimistic one on here 😂

Most others are pretty optimistic and I'm jealous of them and their hope that Golden Kamuy will see UK shores before 2023...

I jest but when you've lived through so many UK anime industry s#!t storms and Zavii crushed deliveries (if they arrive at all) you learn to be just a tad pessimistic.

Most others are pretty optimistic and I'm jealous of them and their hope that Golden Kamuy will see UK shores before 2023...

I jest but when you've lived through so many UK anime industry s#!t storms and Zavii crushed deliveries (if they arrive at all) you learn to be just a tad pessimistic.

How long has Golden Kamuy been delayed now? I hear it mentioned so much that ever time I see a release date I doubt it, and I've not even got it ordered.

I mean sure but personally I've never had a problem with Zavvi deliveries and I don't really have an issue with Funimation in regards to the delays on Golden Kamuy. I'm sure they'd love to release it as fast as possible but there's obviously stuff going on behind the scenes that's preventing that. It's a tough situation for everyone involved.

Perhaps I've become a bit too forgiving but that's just the way I see it lol

Which of the Ghibli releases have had collector's edition so far? Is it following the number order and Porco Ross is the 3rd?
So far, via Studio Canal UK (or under Optimum Releasing):

Ponyo in June 2010
Arrietty in January 2012
From Up On Poppy Hill in September 2013
The Wind Rises in September 2014
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya in July 2015
When Marnie Was There in October 2016
Laputa: Castle in the Sky in October 2021
My Neighbour Totoro in October 2021
Porco Rosso scheduled for November 2021

Via Elysium UK:

Earwig and the Witch in September 2021

So far, via Studio Canal UK (or under Optimum Releasing):

Ponyo in June 2010
Arrietty in January 2012
From Up On Poppy Hill in September 2013
The Wind Rises in September 2014
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya in July 2015
When Marnie Was There in October 2016
Laputa: Castle in the Sky in October 2021
My Neighbour Totoro in October 2021
Porco Rosso scheduled for November 2021

Via Elysium UK:

Earwig and the Witch in September 2021

Thanks!

That seems…pretty sporadic. If they were more consistent I’d definitely bite as I’ve still to get my mandatory Ghibli BRs.

Well heck, Earwig - another Collector's release to catch up on - Just ordered that set as well! Thanks for bringing this set to my attention, RobF1UK, didn't know about that one at all! At least Earwig from Elysium matches up pretty well with the Studio Canal releases, and with the same digipak design and art cards inside. So currently I have three of these Ghibli CEs in my collection, and the remaining seven are shipping to me between now and Christmas!

Last edited:
Thanks!

That seems…pretty sporadic. If they were more consistent I’d definitely bite as I’ve still to get my mandatory Ghibli BRs.
Well, up to Marnie they were released at the point the film was released to disc for the first time here in the UK (i.e. about 4-6 months after the UK theatrical release). For the 2021 releases. they are effectively re-releases., as those films have only previously had a standard UK disc release previously. As Studio Canal are now seemingly re-releasing those films with only a standard release as CE sets, I'd expect the others to follow on a consistent schedule as we are already seeing with Porco Rosso following on from Castle in the Sky and Totoro.

Well heck, Earwig - another Collector's release to catch up on - Just ordered that set as well! Thanks for bringing this set to my attention, RobF1UK, didn't know about that one at all! At least Earwig from Elysium matches up pretty well with the Studio Canal releases, and with the same digipak design and art cards inside. So currently I have three of these Ghibli CEs in my collection, and the remaining seven are shipping to me between now and Christmas!
No problem. :)

Back