UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Macross!!!

The question I have at the moment, is what exactly does the release cover.
  • Is it Part 1 of the Macross saga? or the whole of the Macross saga?
  • If it's the latter, then why specify English & Japanese audio when 5 Blu-ray discs can't cover that amount, unless it's super huge BD-50 discs or something.
  • Why wasn't this included with the batch of announcements earlier this morning.
K-On_4.gif

Originally (as I remember)...

Robotech was in three parts:

Part 1: Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Part 2: Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
Part 3: Genesis Climber MOSPEADA

• If it's the latter, then why specify English & Japanese audio when 5 Blu-ray discs can't cover that amount, unless it's super huge BD-50 discs or something.
  • Why wasn't this included with the batch of announcements earlier this morning.
K-On_4.gif
I think the release is similar to the remastered DVDs that Manga released in the mid 2000s, which contained the Harmony Gold dubbing from the 80s not the ADV dub. If Funimation did rerelease Macross uncut I doubt it would have the Harmony Gold dub with the added bells and whistles

For example here is one of the boxsets Manga released, it does not have the original JP track according to Amazon UK

Do the Macross and Robotech episodes even line up? I would've have thought that Robotech would've edited the episodes to make their dub work, or is there a dub version that is the uneditted video?

Do the Macross and Robotech episodes even line up? I would've have thought that Robotech would've edited the episodes to make their dub work, or is there a dub version that is the uneditted video?
Yes there is, ADV dubbed it I think in 2006 and released it on DVD in the US, we had to make do with the edited original because well you know....

An example of the dub compared with the Japanese and edited dub ...

And the annoyance of getting Vic Mignogna as your main character

These are the only Youtube videos I could find that are edited clips, the rest are illegally uploaded episodes

They used 10 year old masters rather than the updated ones which improves the encoding, reduces the size of the subtitles and in K-On!'s case adds additional bonus extras.
Thanks for looking into this, I wondered which masters they would use when the initial discussion came about.

The fact Robotech is listed with a digital copy to me implies they're intending it to be on FunimationNow by time of release.

(Pinch of salt though as they advertise a lot with digital copies that aren't accessible...)

The fact Robotech is listed with a digital copy to me implies they're intending it to be on FunimationNow by time of release.

(Pinch of salt though as they advertise a lot with digital copies that aren't accessible...)
Yeah Harmony Gold did mention that some of their stuff would be on Funimation's streaming service pretty soon.

I'm going to keep my expectations low and assume its just an upscale of the ADV dub DVD. Funi already had the rights to Robotech, so this was probably already in the works during the recent Macross negotiations.

Its weird that they'd market it under Robotech, unless they don't think they are going to release any more of the Macross franchise.

I guess this is the time to take a look at the french first season set I've got for K-on and see if it's for me or not. If it's actually got substance and is not just pillow-selling bait, I'll get that set.

Debating in my head about K-on, obviously the suggestion that it isn't Sentai's improved version is disappointing, but it is a lot cheaper and I do just want to see the series so I will consider this version.

I'm going to keep my expectations low and assume its just an upscale of the ADV dub DVD. Funi already had the rights to Robotech, so this was probably already in the works during the recent Macross negotiations.

Its weird that they'd market it under Robotech, unless they don't think they are going to release any more of the Macross franchise.
Not too sure why it'd be odd to market a Robotech product as Robotech but I'm sure we'll see more Macross titles in due time.

Under the new agreement it seems likely that Harmony Gold will be handling distribution for Robotech, the original series and films whereas Big West are handling the rest of the franchise. Big West have announced plans for a global release of the latest Macross Delta film as well as posting Flash Back 2012 on YouTube for a limited time. Exciting time to be a Macross fan.

I mean if you are going to eventually release more in the Macross franchise down the line, and this release is SDF Macross uncut (plus a dub), wouldn't you market that as primarilly as Macross?

But if you don't think you are going to get the rest or don't have any current plans to, maybe then you do market it as Robotech, which has 30 years of history behind it in English-speaking areas.

K-On_4.gif
well just looked at my old Manga DVD set,
it was 6 discs for the Macross saga, 36 eps.
4 discs for the Masters saga/Southern cross 24 eps
4 discs for the New generation/Mospeda 25 eps
There was only ever a dub, the original series were so messed about with by HG that there was no way the subs would match.

I mean if you are going to eventually release more in the Macross franchise down the line, and this release is SDF Macross uncut (plus a dub), wouldn't you market that as primarilly as Macross?

But if you don't think you are going to get the rest or don't have any current plans to, maybe then you do market it as Robotech, which has 30 years of history behind it in English-speaking areas.
May have just been some agreement between HG and BW that Robotech's name comes first for this release. Then again since people have pointed out discrepancies regarding dubs, parts, edits and the amount of discs I think it be best to wait for more information on this release. Would've been less confusing if Funimation made a proper announcement lol

I am curious about the k-On! release, but I do already have the Sentai Ultimate release. Kinda surprising how many upcoming US releases there are that have not had an UK equivalent noted, maybe they don't think many of them will be that popular.

Yeah, I think people are getting confused here, Robotech: The Macross Saga is not just dubbed Macross. If it says Robotech, it’s gonna be Robotech, not Macross. I think if HG’s first move after this legal agreement was to try and market Macross AS Robotech they’d be going straight back to court.
Does Robotech even hold much nostalgia or name recognition in the UK though? I can’t think that it ever aired on TV here, or if it did it certainly passed me by.

Last edited:
ZAVVI

Ongoing deal: 2 for £25 Blu-Ray & 4K UHD
(There are a few titles not included in the Anime category hence why I haven't adjusted the selection).

NEW IN: MANGA ENTERTAINMENT

FRESH OFF THE PRESS! We've got some sensational releases from Manga Entertainment for you this evening! Including limited edition releases for Clannad & Clannad After Story, Cannon Busters and, of course, Attack on Titan, you won't want to miss out on these!
Oh dear, there's the K-on set for pre-order! I do want to upgrade my dvd collection (and this set looks like it will take up as much space as only one of the two oversized dvd boxes, so bonus on space-saving; not sure about those blue borders though). These Kyoani sets are going to be the end of me...

Back