Overseas Upcoming Non-UK Anime BD/DVD Artwork

Warning: May contain mild themes of adventure and friendship
I mean, if it is in fact SEXUAL themes like I'm presuming, how is someone who wants to avoid sexual material supposed to avoid it if the ratings body dare not even print the word "sexual" on the warning label? Toilet-Bound Hanako-Kun (which I thought was perhaps some kind of bathroom bondage hentai, looking at that cover I'm still not sure) at least says SUPERNATURAL themes so the "burn the witch" crowd can avoid it.

Mild themes
Is Australia ever going to explain what they mean by this? I wouldn't think it would even be possible to have any form of media entirely devoid of themes.

My personal pick of the above bunch of Aussie age-rating qualifiers were:
High impact sexual themes
Medium level violence
"High-impact"?? I mean...! 😂

Are they saying that it'll make such an impression on you and that it'll stay with you enough to remember it? So they're basically saying that it's "memorable sexual content"?

If so, then they're essentially recommending that title to its potential audience. "You wanna watch something a bit [nudge-nudge]? Then watch this. You're gonna bank this one; you know what we're saying? [nudge-nudge again]"

And as for the other one, "medium-level violence"?? Yes, as all well-adjusted folks know, there are three easily categorisable degrees of violence in this world: low-level, medium-level and high-level, each with their own very clear and universally recognised boundaries.

Get outta here.

(I wonder where "animated violence" ranks in the above league table. 🤔)

Oh, and they forgot to punctuate their ratings properly: there are supposed to be hyphens like in my post here. Let's get the basics right first, and maybe then we can work our way up to more complex stuff like gauging content in fiction. 😛

And resize your age-rating graphics. You know by now that they're too big.

(I wonder where "animated violence" ranks in the above league table. 🤔)
Is that violence where the actors really ham it up, like Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson in Bottom? The opposite of nonchalant violence?

Australia really is a weird one, I can’t think of many countries in the world who have, in general, more laid back libertarian populations. Yet their moral police are somehow even more puritanical than ours.

Is that violence where the actors really ham it up, like Rik Mayall and Ade Edmondson in Bottom?
Ahh, I remember that show. I did enjoy my little bit of frying-pan-abusing slapstick violence on a Thursday evening.

(I think it was Thursdays when I used to see the old BBC2 reruns anyway. 🤔)

Australia really is a weird one, I can’t think of many countries in the world who have, in general, more laid back libertarian populations. Yet their moral police are somehow even more puritanical than ours.
Yeah, laid back is the perception I have, too. I remember being at the 2004(?) Formula 1 British Grand Prix, which was sponsored by Foster's lager, and there were advertising hoardings over the exit gates that read "If you drink and drive, you're a bloody idiot". 😆👍

And then there was an advert shown one time on Tarrant on TV where a succession of Aussies each saw an unfortunate event befall an unsuspecting passerby, and the actor's reaction of surprise each time was "Bugger me". 😆

But yeah, I honestly don't know the first thing about their video ratings board, but reading this thread has turned up some really bizarre-sounding assessments. I'm guessing "high-impact" is just common-or-garden strong. Just say it's "strong", for god sake! 😅

KFo8Hgnl.png

How did I not know that RahXephon was getting a Blu-ray release? Even Google brought up nothing. I ended up going to Sentai's website for confirmation that it exists.

It's a beautiful Steelbook but... $130 retail. I'm pinning my hopes on MVM for a more sanely priced UK release.

Edit: just seen the overseas announcement thread 😂

Last edited:
Back