UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Did they ever? 😬

For a company whose only line of business is making anime DVDs and Blu-ray, they're not half hopeless at putting together anime DVDs and Blu-ray.

I've yet to watch it, but after reading about the subtitle timing issue on Demon City Shinjuku that @RebelNotorious pointed out, that's the last self-authored Manga release I'll buy without first waiting to hear how it's turned out.
Didn't know about the Demon City Shinjuku timing issue, more reason for me to go for the Discotek Media releases.

If there's one thing that has me concerned in recent months it's actually CLANNAD. For context, basically last Summer the series was added onto Funimation's streaming platform which is great for consumers but the issue is down to the encoding that was used for it.

Sentai Filmworks before the past four years (or so) had some 'okay but not great' authors and CLANNAD was one of them (it was one of the first Blu-rays for the distributor if I recall considering it came out in 2011 - that's 10 years ago). CLANNAD's encode in the 2011 release is rather dated/old so it doesn't have the best video presentation (technical stuff like incorrect gamma or brightness) as well as using an older font or older translation for the subtitles.

Sentai re-released the series in 2017 and 2020; both of which amended these issues and revised the translation from what I have been told. There's currently no way to tell whether Manga's 2021 release is using which encode until someone checks the discs because both the 2011 and 2017/2020 versions had the same 6 disc count.

K-On!, if that ever happens, is going to be even messier because the Funimation streams also used the older encodes (Season 1: Bandai Entertainment Blu-rays, Season 2: Sentai Collection 1 & 2 Blu-rays) so you're going to end up with lossy audio and other video presentation issues and potentially lacking the mini-shorts that were eventually included in both the US Limited Edition and Ultimate Collection standard set.

Haruhi, if that ever happens, will be fine. Funi's discs are pretty good as they do the job (and the only issue that I could see potentially happen is if Manga decides to omit the DVD bonus features discs).

Now I mention these things because there's been such a large gap in releases between the US and UK to the point where there's really no excuse to not use the newer encodes/discs already out there. If Manga uses the really old first versions for CLANNAD and K-On!, it's a disservice to those who have been waiting years to own the series on Blu-ray - sure the price might be right and the collector's packaging would look great, but if the discs don't work out then it's going to be a disappointment. I guess it's like cake - it may look great and smell good, but if the taste isn't up-to-scratch then it's a disaster.

Oh, is it region free?
All anime released on Blu-ray in Japan are region free.

Didn't know about the Demon City Shinjuku timing issue
It was brought up in the Disappointing/Defective Discs thread:

Watched Demon City Shinjuku, this morning and oh lord, the subtitle timing is painful, I'd say it's like 50/50 in sync and not in sync, maybe tipped more towards not. A lot of lines come in somewhere from half a second to a full second early and end before the dialogue is actually finished. It starts to become noticeable with the scene in the dojo near the beginning of the movie and then the worst culprit is the scene when Kyoya first meets Mephisto, where the subtitles start and end far too early. Double checked on my PC just to make sure my BD player or TV wasn't acting up but the issue is still there. Don't recall this being an issue on Wicked City. I don't think any single scene is fully in sync as it comes and goes throughout.

That’s disappointing to see. As it says Wicked City didn’t seem to have this issue so I’m left wondering whether to just import the Discotek release for Shinjuku.

I just hope Amazon Japan allows HF III imports from Wednesday as yes Demon Slayer will follow now, I’m kinda glad manga doesn’t have anything I want it’s why I even imported Magica Record as it’s OST is it’s strength and manga took donkey years to release the film so I’d rather just suck it up now for a complete AoA series. I also expect them to steal SAO progressive and FGO Camelot due to the lure of cinemas.

Back