UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

That gives me hope for Promised Neverland and maybe (fingers crossed) even Violet Evergarden before xmas.

I have a couple questions about AL if you guys don't mind;

I just noticed their Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust release is english audio only, do they have other dub-only releases?
Their FAQ lists their sub-only releases, but nothing about releases without the original japanese audio.

And the other thing, how are alltheanime.com with cancellations?
They have a number of big releases coming up I really want, but with brexit I'm a little hesitant to pre-order, I hate doing it but I'm considering ordering anyway and maybe cancelling later if it ends up being too expensive.
So how have you guys found them with any cancellations you've made in the past?

Thanks.

That gives me hope for Promised Neverland and maybe (fingers crossed) even Violet Evergarden before xmas.

Yeah they mentioned they might be able to get some stock out before Christmas for Violet Evergarden which is hopeful.

I just noticed their Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust release is english audio only, do they have other dub-only releases?
Their FAQ lists their sub-only releases, but nothing about releases without the original japanese audio.

Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust is a unique case because the English audio is the original, and while a Japanese dub does exist, licensing restrictions prevented it from being made available on the western releases.

As for other English audio only titles, Castlevania and Lupin the Third Part IV: The Italian Adventure (standard edition) are the only other two that exist. The former is because it's a Netflix anime-inspired series while the latter had a unique collaboration with Italy and when it was brought over to the United States, they ended up using the Italian broadcast instead of the Japanese broadcast which meant the English dub couldn't sync. The collector's edition that was released first was for the Japanese broadcast which is subtitled only.

Hope that helps. I know I waffled a bit but sometimes these kinds of info does explain it lol.

The only one I can think of is Lupin III part 4 which had a sub only release followed by a seperate dub only release. The current std edition on sale is the dub only one.
And the other thing, how are alltheanime.com with cancellations?
So I've rarely had to cancel but I made a mistake yesterday with the BOGOF and they let me cancel one item from an order so I could put it in a new order with a free item. Just email them and they sort it out. My general experience of their customer service is that it's always been excellent.

Thank you all for the insight into Vampire Hunter D and similar releases, it honestly never occurred to me that english could have been the original audio, even though I knew of Castlevania (which I've always struggled to consider as anime).

Just to give everyone a heads up regarding Turn A Gundam [as I'm sure people are gonna start asking where it is] and other pre-releases. I'm working slowly through Turn A as and when I have a free moment among working through our Christmas orders, Manga's pre-releases as well as general back cat orders. In regards to Violet Evergarden, I will do my best to get as many shipped out as and when I can, assuming stock arrives. But remember it's not officially due out till January - if other titles that are due out in December arrive my priority will be focused on them.

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks for your patience and understanding.

Just to give everyone a heads up regarding Turn A Gundam [as I'm sure people are gonna start asking where it is] and other pre-releases. I'm working slowly through Turn A as and when I have a free moment among working through our Christmas orders, Manga's pre-releases as well as general back cat orders. In regards to Violet Evergarden, I will do my best to get as many shipped out as and when I can, assuming stock arrives. But remember it's not officially due out till January - if other titles that are due out in December arrive my priority will be focused on them.

Hopefully that makes sense and thanks for your patience and understanding.

No worries, we all know it's your busiest month. :)

Browsing the sale while I wait for Planetes and looking for the Gurrenn Lagann movies... and I have a question that I'm sure you guys will be able to answer quickly:

Is the version of Perfect Blue I got when AL first released it a different and inferior version to the special edition? Is there much difference in quality if so?

Is the version of Perfect Blue I got when AL first released it a different and inferior version to the special edition? Is there much difference in quality if so?
Honestly both versions have their benefits and drawbacks.

The 2013 release has the "better" presentation but also has quality control issues with its subtitles, audio and menu setup.

The 2019 release was re-authored with every major issue fixed from the 2013 release in terms of quality control and has a few more additional bonus features plus the original SD version which is amusing to see. By getting the Ultimate Edition you also get a really nice storyboard book, another book that has more artwork and the original soundtrack CD which I believe is out of print in Japan.

So it's up to you to be honest, unless Japan manages to find the original masters there really isn't going to be a better release for a long while.

Anime Limited really need to work on their website, especially the retail side of it. I know they recently updated it, but it needed a lot more testing. Coming from the place that retail websites need to work on as many browsers and also as many legacy browsers as possible given that they are in the business of selling things and reaching customers.

My daily browser is Firefox 56. Ancient I know, but I use it for familiarity and the fact that it's the last build that works with my add-ons and plug-ins. Every retail website I use work on it, except Anime Limited, where I get an absence of images and page select buttons, killing the navigation.

I have a whole bunch of Firefox portables as well, and I tried my most recent one, and it didn't work on Firefox 68, the current FF engine, exhibiting the same issues. I downloaded Firefox 83 Portable and it works on that.

It works on Google Chrome, which updates everytime I start it, didn't work on Edge until I installed the latest one, it doesn't work on an up to date Waterfox Classic, and obviously not MS Explorer.

Worse, on my iPad it doesn't work on Safari or the latest Firefox build.

A retail website shouldn't be restricted to cutting edge tech.

Anime Limited really need to work on their website, especially the retail side of it. I know they recently updated it, but it needed a lot more testing. Coming from the place that retail websites need to work on as many browsers and also as many legacy browsers as possible given that they are in the business of selling things and reaching customers.

My daily browser is Firefox 56. Ancient I know, but I use it for familiarity and the fact that it's the last build that works with my add-ons and plug-ins. Every retail website I use work on it, except Anime Limited, where I get an absence of images and page select buttons, killing the navigation.

I have a whole bunch of Firefox portables as well, and I tried my most recent one, and it didn't work on Firefox 68, the current FF engine, exhibiting the same issues. I downloaded Firefox 83 Portable and it works on that.

It works on Google Chrome, which updates everytime I start it, didn't work on Edge until I installed the latest one, it doesn't work on an up to date Waterfox Classic, and obviously not MS Explorer.

Worse, on my iPad it doesn't work on Safari or the latest Firefox build.

A retail website shouldn't be restricted to cutting edge tech.

Technically speaking what you are asking for is next to impossible. Old browers simply won't work with the latest web protocols and security encryptions. Sure some websites will use outdated systems to retain that support but there comes a time when that quickly becomes a hindrance.

Also I think AL store is using Squarespace (I recognise some aspects) so they are also limited to compatibility with that infrastructure.

Last edited:
Like I said, it's retail where the aim is to maximize your reach. Anime On Line update their website on a regular basis now, and I can still use their site, I can shop at Arrow, at 88 Films, Eureka, all the nice little niche cinema webshops that I frequent on my admittedly obsolete Firefox build. AL doesn't work on a year old Firefox version which I wouldn't consider obsolete. And I reiterate, it doesn't work on the two latest iPad browsers I have installed.

Like I said, it's retail where the aim is to maximize your reach. Anime On Line update their website on a regular basis now, and I can still use their site, I can shop at Arrow, at 88 Films, Eureka, all the nice little niche cinema webshops that I frequent on my admittedly obsolete Firefox build. AL doesn't work on a year old Firefox version which I wouldn't consider obsolete. And I reiterate, it doesn't work on the two latest iPad browsers I have installed.

Ah I see, from the tone of your post I thought you were using like a 15 year old Firefox build lol

Technically speaking what you are asking for is next to impossible. Old browers simply won't work with the latest web protocols and security encryptions. Sure some websites will use outdated systems to retain that support but there comes a time when that quickly becomes a hindrance.
While I agree with the sentiment that it's unrealistic to expect support for (very) old browsers, it tends to have little to do with security. Most new security measures over the past few years actually have an inverse effect: old site won't work in newer browsers. The things that break "modern" sites on old browsers are often times trivial in nature (using new fancy styling/elements or vendor specific features).

Back