4K Blu Ray collection & Upcoming Releases discussion thread

As an FYI, the DOTD 4K and Blu Ray boxsets are now live on Second Sight’s website, Base and Zavvi.

Last edited:
Arrow Video has announced plans to enter the 4K Ultra HD market starting with the first Riddick film Pitch Black! The film will also include the animated film Dark Fury. The 4K Ultra HD release will not be a combo pack, and both formats will be available on 17th August 2020.

Ultra HD Blu-ray:
  • Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible)
  • Original DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround on both cuts
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
  • Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
  • Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
  • A newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
  • A newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
  • The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
  • Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
  • 2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
  • Johns Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character s hunt for Riddick
  • The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (in 16:9 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio), an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring vocal performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
  • Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a pre-animation version of the film
  • Slam City, a motion comic from the film s official website
  • Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
  • Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
  • Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
  • Image galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned ""night"" and ""day"" artwork by Luke Preece
Blu-ray:
  • Brand new 4K restoration by Arrow Films of the Theatrical and Director s Cuts of the film, approved by director David Twohy
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
  • Archive commentary with director David Twohy and stars Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser
  • Archive commentary with director David Twohy, producer Tom Engelman and visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with director/co-writer David Twohy
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Rhiana Griffith
  • A newly filmed interview with actor Claudia Black
  • A newly filmed interview with cinematographer David Eggby
  • A newly filmed interview with visual effects supervisor Peter Chiang
  • A newly filmed interview with composer Graeme Revell
  • The Making of Pitch Black, a short behind-the-scenes featurette
  • Pitch Black Raw, a comparison between early CG tests and the final footage
  • Additional behind-the-scenes footage from the making of the film
  • 2004 archive bonus features, including an introduction by Twohy, A View Into The Dark, and Chronicles of Riddick Visual Encyclopedia
  • Johns Chase Log, a short prequel narrated by Cole Hauser detailing the character s hunt for Riddick
  • The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (in 16:9 widescreen with DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio), an animated short film directed by Peter Chung that acts as a bridgepoint between Pitch Black and The Chronicles of Riddick, featuring vocal performances by Vin Diesel, Keith David and Rhiana Griffith reprising their roles
  • Dark Fury bonus features including Bridging The Gap, Peter Chung: The Mind of an Animator, A View Into The Light, and a pre-animation version of the film
  • Slam City, a motion comic from the film s official website
  • Into Pitch Black, a TV special offering an alternative non-canon glimpse into what happened before and after the events of the film
  • Raveworld: Pitch Black Event, footage of a dance music event held to promote the film
  • Theatrical trailers, plus trailers for the two sequels and video game
  • Image galleries
  • Reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Luke Preece

(Disclaimer: Amazon links are affiliated to help support me financially)

I was about to post about that, hopefully this opens the door to Arrow doing more 4K releases in the future, though I suspect we may get a few 4K re-releases of some Arrow Titles if they’re able to do them.

I was about to post about that, hopefully this opens the door to Arrow doing more 4K releases in the future, though I suspect we may get a few 4K re-releases of some Arrow Titles if they’re able to do them.
Oh man 4K releases of Ring, The Thing, Donnie Darko could happen.

Comes to around £72 with priority courier (add on customs charge and it’s around £90-£100ish).
Pictures have started to emerge for the set And each film has its own case and slip, decided to order mine from DeepDiscount in the end.

Nice- was looking to get Shout Factory’s release a while back but glad I held off. Studiocanal are putting out Ran in 4K at some point too right?

Nice- was looking to get Shout Factory’s release a while back but glad I held off. Studiocanal are putting out Ran in 4K at some point too right?
It's currently in rumour-mill admittedly as there was an Australian listing under their name for the film.

12078_tn.jpg

Out November 4th !

Stanley Kubrick’s Full Metal Jacket is now available to pre-order on 4K and there’s a Collector’s Set available too. It’s £34.99 or around £31.49 from the WB Shop using their welcome code.

I had initially pre-ordered that, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost - reasonable though it is for the content - for a single film.

Back