Your viewing journal

7vmU79Sl.png

Gleipnir (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-8
Princess Connect! Re: Dive (Japanese audio) - Episodes 3-4
Tower of God (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-8

Fruits Basket 2nd Season episode 37 Tears and a push.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive episode 12 Sacrifice and reveal.

Woodpecker Detective’s Office episode 11 Doge Dash.

Doctor Who and The Silurians A slow-burner with a terrible title but an engaging storyline with some great supporting performances from Fulton Mackay and Peter Miles amongst others.

Gatchaman CROWDS episodes 7-9

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby [Rewatch] episodes 1-2
Alongside seasonals I'll be rewatching some favourites from 2018. I love this stupid series so much.

Gatchaman Crowds912
Mobile Suit Gundam2142

Fruits Basket 2nd Season Episode 37 Emotions running high.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive Episode 12 Saving and reveal.

Shironeko Project: Zero Chronicle Episode 12 Sacrifice and Downfall. (Complete. This wasn't exactly one of the best game-based anime's I've seen but at least it was engaging enough each week with its own fresh take on light and darkness, good versus evil.) 3/5

Area 88 OVA 1-2

My memory of the 2000s TV series is hazy at best, but this feels very, very different in tone - the TV show was more like a bit of pulp nonsense, this has some genuine emotional heft to it.

Shironeko Project ZERO Chronicle ep 12 (complete)
A bit of a WTF ending and not quite what I expected. Looking into it a bit this is a prequel to a game, not a game adaptation as such, so I guess if you had played it you would have seen it coming. I thought that the OP/ED had given the end away with White and Black falling in love and then ruling in peace after they ended the conflict and whilst it was partially true, the actual end did come as a surprise. The pacing during the season was a bit of a mess though and even though the end was interesting a lot of it was a little dull.
Production wise, it was a bit of a mixed bag. Some fight scenes were good, others were not. The characters were fairly standard fair, apart from one or two, the outfits were quite good though, I especially liked Iris with her wings and the shimmery effects around her when in that form.
6/10

Shachibato!
ep 11
A dark past.

Gleipnir ep 12
Flashback. The melodrama was strong in this episode, felt a bit like a Kokoro Connect episode.

Kaguya-sama: Love is War s2 e11
Flashback³
Wow, what an episode, as we learn about Ishigami troubles in Middle School.

Welcome To The Ballroom
What an excellent show. Different, fun, tense, interesting and varied characters, and really amazing animation. A joy to watch all round really. Though I don't know why all the men were made to look like cliche violent yakuza types.

Busou Shinki: Armored War Goddess episodes 1-12 & OVA (Complete. This sort of reminded me of Angelic Layer but with less plot and more SoL and the occasional fanservicey antics. It was pretty lightweight for the most part but is ultimately inoffensive and had some decent action sequences.) A low 3/5.

Last edited:
QCkTQBxl.png

Gleipnir (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-10
Princess Connect! Re: Dive (Japanese audio) - Episodes 5-6
Tower of God (Japanese audio) - Episodes 9-10

Gatchaman Crowds episodes 10-12 (End)
Superhero deconstructions wish they were as good as this show. Hajime is the most powerful genki girl.

Tower of God episodes 5-6

Gatchaman Crowds1212
Mobile Suit Gundam2142

Tower of God ep 13 (complete)
The end of the beginning.
After the terrible first episode the world of ToG and the personalities, apart from Bam your typical kind hearted blank slate of a protag, within slowly revealed themselves and their characteristics to reveal a quite complex world of clashing and complimentary ambitions. Not everything has been revealed yet, so hopefully there will be more, but the Webtoon seems quite long and ongoing, so might end up with needing to read it anyway, even if there's more anime to come.
The art style took a while to get used to, but I liked it and the fight scenes were pretty good. The soundtrack is excellent, Kevin Penkin's previous stuff is on Spotify, so hopefully this will appear soon.
8/10

Woodpecker Detective's Office
ep 11
Strange disappearances.

Fruits Basket s2 e12
Old feelings rekindled.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive ep 12
Ominous dreams. Hints our main has seen it all before a la Subaru, only he forgot it all. And the text he "wrote wrong" seemed to be Japanese, so isekai it is!

Black Blood Brothers Episodes 1 to 7

Good series so far

(With my region 1 backpile pretty much gone, time to turn my attention to my region 2 backpile)

Last week I started to watch Cosmic Devil Daikengo (1978) along with Orgun for the next episode of Retro Mecha Podcast. I've watched the first 4 episodes.

Also started a rewatch of Yashuhiro Nightow's Gungrave (2002) Episodes 1-3. I'm enjoying it a lot. If I remember rightly some people hated the way it started in the present and flashed back to the past for a good chunk of the series and then resumed the thread from episode 1 part way through. Personally I like that sort of storytelling and I think it works really well in this. Funimation's blu ray doesn't look great but i suspect its more to do with when it was made rather than anything else.

Also started another Japanese sci-fi show though it's not an anime. Go Nagai's X-Bomber (1980) which the older members of this forum will remember broadcast as Starfleet in the UK in the early 80's. A sci-fi puppet show with a pretty good story and amazing model work and some cool robot and alien designs. This is my first time watching the original Japanese version as I'd only seen the Starfleet version previously. Thankfully Discotek media released a very nice blu ray with both versions so now I'm getting to see it as it aired in Japan with the original score which is a totally different experience.

Back