UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Apologies if this has already been asked but for Screen Anime subscribers, how did you access the discount code for the AL website? Was it provided via email?

Apologies if this has already been asked but for Screen Anime subscribers, how did you access the discount code for the AL website? Was it provided via email?
Yeah they sent an email out to subscribers on friday but if you were still in the trial period at the time you wont have got one. After your trial period is over you can email them and they will send you the code. That's what I had to do and they got it to me this morning.

Yeah they sent an email out to subscribers on friday but if you were still in the trial period at the time you wont have got one. After your trial period is over you can email them and they will send you the code. That's what I had to do and they got it to me this morning.
Thanks for the quick response, I’ll check tomorrow and see if a code can be provided.

I didn't manage to catch any of the various panels from this weekend, will it be available on Youtube to watch later? I haven't seen anyone mention that (unless I'm an idiot and missed that)

I didn't manage to catch any of the various panels from this weekend, will it be available on Youtube to watch later? I haven't seen anyone mention that (unless I'm an idiot and missed that)
Unfortunately it seems they won't. Emo185 posted a video of AL's panel but it got taken down.

The Eva panel felt like we were watching public diplomacy. Was kinda just stroking the ego of Khara's licensing guy, like it was necessarily to safeguard the license we now know they have.

@Hanners you said you wanted feedback on Cloud Matsuri so figured I'd make a post here/review for others to see.

I watched almost everything apart from the SAO/Gundam/EVA panels at the end. Overall I thought it was excellent and a really fun and informative set of panels. My favourites were the Choi and Shiota panels. Hearing from these studio bosses was really cool and not something we'd normally get in person. Hearing about their personal journeys as well as the studios histories was really good.

The Andrew and Jerome fireside chat was also a highlight and it would be cool to have something like that come back in future (a round table discussion of UK anime industry insiders maybe also including MVM and Neo for instance would be really cool).

The Anime Panel and Quiz was also really fun and entertaining and was really good to see a bit of diversity I havent seen at an anime panel at a con before. I feel like Prime got stitched up on how hard his questions were!

Other than that the more usual panels in specific shows/games etc were all enjoyable and it's always nice to see how things got made.

The only panel I didnt enjoy was the crunchyroll glorified advert which was a mix of cringe and pointless. And had a real scripted by committee feel to it with no special focus on the fact it was for Cloud Matsuri.

So as not to end on a sour note it was also really cool to have that live chat going on at the same time on YouTube as the whole event got a real community vibe and made it a bit different from your live, sit in (mostly) silence to watch a panel at a con.

In short would defo want to see Cloud Matsuri come back in the future though the Eva Ultimate Edition announcement will be hard to top!

So, I watched all of Saturday's panels barring the One Piece one, and on the Sunday watched the Jerome-Andrew one, Groundworks, and Eizouken re-do (I wanted to watch the Polygon Pictures ones, but had to fit in a dog walk once it started to cool down). Here's just notes in bullet points:
  • I enjoyed the Andrew-Jerome the most. It was really insightful, and just interesting, as the mechanisms of the industry are usually quite hidden. Would like to see more of this.
  • The Anime Limited panel was really well done - those license announcements were nuts!
  • The Crunchyroll panel was hard to watch, with its cringy, scripted forced-pep. Maybe it's just me because I follow airing shows and such, but there wasn't anything newto me. Might have been nice to actually get a look into their co-production process and such, but it just felt like one long advert.
    • While this may not be the case, it just stood out as clearly not having the UK audience in mind. That kind of pep is something I see a lot in US media, but apparently we're resistant to it? (we need more cynicism, darn it!). I'll concede that it was emphasised that Cloud Matsuri was open to US/EU too, but Crunchyroll stood out, when I appreciated even the little bits of UK acknowledgement in what I caught of the One Piece Stampede panel. Yet Crunchyroll couldn't even mention the GBP price alongside the dollar.
  • The Eizouken panel was great, and I especially appreciated Abel Gongora's input.
You guys were absolute troopers putting it on - an incredible feat, and it was a joy to watch.

The guy's closing message was how he hopes the pandemic is over soon so we can get back to buying Eva merch.

I'd enjoyed both days of the event and found every other panel solid. But this one just felt very bluntly commercial.
Even without the pandemic, the UK isn't exactly a hive for anime merch either...

when I appreciated even the little bits of UK acknowledgement in what I caught of the One Piece Stampede panel.
I cant believe I forgot to mention the One Piece panel. As a dub watcher I really enjoyed it! Honestly I could watch a whole day of dub based panels and love it. One thing I'd say is it would be cool if in future we could have some diversity in it. One piece has a massive and varied cast after all and live VO panels tend to get a good mix of actors and youd think itd be easier for a recorded panel.

Something that seemed to change on Sunday was the panels were now seemingly pre-recorded. Appreciate this was probably necessary to avoid problems but on Sunday noticed a few times where panels seem to be presented as if they were recorded live but transitions seem to give away this wasn't the case.

This ties into the social aspect. The YT chat was buzzing but a lot of times I seemed to be the only one consistently using the hashtag on Twitter. Likewise, I've seen others suggest the fan work element was overshadowed and it might have made sense to highlight the submissions with respective artist alley and cosplay panels.

Similarly my impression was that the One Piece panel would be 3 US voice actors streaming together to banter and answer fan questions. Instead it was the 3 of them separately answering questions.

The interviews were good. I know we have the podcast but I'm glad those who can't attend conventions got a better look at Jeremy's MC skills. Me being me I'm always hoping for Gundam but very strong announcements. Eva was a very nice surprise. I was totally expecting Eizouken but I see Andy is still outfoxing me when I'm presumptuous.

Back