Funimation "Pulls" Streaming for Interspecies Reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet buying corporations is good. For me I can’t see being socially liberal with being a capitalist corporation so I wish they would cut the ********, also I’ve heard it’s worse than the manga so if they bought it expecting an straight adaption I can see the surprise element. Is it good canceling stuff no especially when a cast was allocated and started work.

I know that I believe the right for someone to move up and make success I just the draw the line at let’s go buy all these anime companies out to make a worldwide mega corporation.

Ep 3 had gender bender stuff with the guys experiencing what sex was like as a woman (although mostly yuri). Thought it was fairly progressive myself, so don't see the SJW angle! The only thing, maybe was the Hafling looking quite loli-ish, the subs, at least, went out the way to say that they were old!
The only other thing is that it's so heavily censored, cutting to a black screen at a couple of points, that it's hardly worth watching in that form.

capitalism is not perfect but without it we'd be still living in mud huts.
IDE_0205.jpg
Thanks for immediately giving me the opportunity to make use of an unused Ideon screencap.

Also if you guys wanna discuss history or capitalism in any more detail than soundbites, feel free to take it to the politics thread where I'd be more than happy to oblige (FYI, there were in fact quite a few economic systems in the thousands of years between the end of the mud huts and the rise of modern day capitalism - The most successful ones at getting people out of the mud huts and city building tended to make large-scale use of slavery, I'm not sure that's an argument that slavery's a positive thing).

And what invented that slavery? What system allowed people to buy slaves?

wait I actually like capitalism I don’t like where this train of thought is going...

Regardless of what anyone’s opinion of the show might be, this is a horrendous precedent to set. Let’s licence a show, start broadcasting it then just stop because someone makes the decision that it’s bad for the company’s image. Maybe don’t licence shows you don’t want to be associated with?
This is what baffles me. I could understand if the production committee yanked the licence from underneath them, but those in charge of licencing titles for Funimation didn't even do a modicum of research as to what the show (and original manga) was about? The manga covers and promotional artwork for the series would have been a dead giveaway you would think. I can't believe a company like this could be so slapdash and incompetent. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I feel that something else is at play here.

This is what baffles me. I could understand if the production committee yanked the licence from underneath them, but those in charge of licencing titles for Funimation didn't even do a modicum of research as to what the show (and original manga) was about? The manga covers and promotional artwork for the series would have been a dead giveaway you would think. I can't believe a company like this could be so slapdash and incompetent. The whole thing stinks to high heaven and I feel that something else is at play here.

The manga isn't anything as graphic as the anime.

The manga is in a shounen magazine.

Immediately reminds me of the situation with Hybrid x Heart which is, I think, still on indefinite hiatus rather than officially cancelled. I hate it when companies license things only to end up blocking anyone else from using the rights (I'm still upset with Manga UK over their attitude to One Piece streaming...) even if the show is trashy. Just glad I was too cheap to subscribe and start watching in this case as I can imagine that would have been terribly frustrating.
R

The only justification I can think of for licensing something, starting to stream it and then pulling the stream based on the content which isn't a bad move on Funi's part is if they discovered that something in a future episode was going to be outright illegal for them to release.

if they discovered that something in a future episode was going to be outright illegal for them to release.
Dropping one episode is more reasonable but its not as if censoring entire scenes hasn't been done before. I'm not particularly bothered about this show but like ayase mentioned, it does set a precedent that we really don't want them to be going down :confused:

do animelab titles usually end up on blu-ray or are they kinda like crunchy where it gets sucked into oblivion?

do animelab titles usually end up on blu-ray or are they kinda like crunchy where it gets sucked into oblivion?
Depends if Madman wants to license the series or not. For the most part it's usually streaming only unless such title is tied to Madman or Funimation.

I only managed to watch the first two (censored) episodes before the series was removed. Those two alone were certainly crude, but aside from the subject matter being more directly about sex, didn't feel any worse than High School DxD or Monster Musume in what was actually shown. From what I've heard though, events in episodes 3 and especially 4 certainly sound like they may cross a line for Funimation.

I've also been told that the anime was already more explicit than the original manga, where "encounters with monsters of the night" (shall we say), were largely left to readers having to read the in-universe reviews. I could totally believe that Funimation weren't actually aware of how far the anime team would be going with this adaptation, until they received episode materials and panicked.

That said, it's disappointing from a preservation perspective. While AnimeLab are continuing with the series in Australia, for much of the English-speaking world, the series has effectively been snapped away from legal existance. It's a reminder that streaming isn't permanent, and can be taken away at any time, without warning. This story is also a perfect example of the Streisand Effect. Interspecies Reviewers would have fallen under the radar and been largely ignored had its simulcast continued, but now it's the most talked about show at this time, anyone who wishes to check it out will be drawn towards piracy. Just an unfortunate situation all around.

Ep 3 had gender bender stuff with the guys experiencing what sex was like as a woman (although mostly yuri). Thought it was fairly progressive myself, so don't see the SJW angle! The only thing, maybe was the Hafling looking quite loli-ish, the subs, at least, went out the way to say that they were old!
The only other thing is that it's so heavily censored, cutting to a black screen at a couple of points, that it's hardly worth watching in that form.
I meant Sony being sjws/puritans and I don't have a problem with progressive stuff I just don't like it when it strays into demands of censorship which is not very progressive but hate speech is not ok thats not freedom of speech.

I only managed to watch the first two (censored) episodes before the series was removed. Those two alone were certainly crude, but aside from the subject matter being more directly about sex, didn't feel any worse than High School DxD or Monster Musume in what was actually shown. From what I've heard though, events in episodes 3 and especially 4 certainly sound like they may cross a line for Funimation.

I've also been told that the anime was already more explicit than the original manga, where "encounters with monsters of the night" (shall we say), were largely left to readers having to read the in-universe reviews. I could totally believe that Funimation weren't actually aware of how far the anime team would be going with this adaptation, until they received episode materials and panicked.

That said, it's disappointing from a preservation perspective. While AnimeLab are continuing with the series in Australia, for much of the English-speaking world, the series has effectively been snapped away from legal existance. It's a reminder that streaming isn't permanent, and can be taken away at any time, without warning. This story is also a perfect example of the Streisand Effect. Interspecies Reviewers would have fallen under the radar and been largely ignored had its simulcast continued, but now it's the most talked about show at this time, anyone who wishes to check it out will be drawn towards piracy. Just an unfortunate situation all around.
Then it's funimation fault for piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back