My humble blog about old anime/manga: Animehead's retroworld

Scrambled Valkyrie

School Idol
Hi guys. In January this year I started a blog called "Animehead's retroworld"

My aim is to post semi-regular articles about old anime and manga that people may not know about and cover a vast array of different topics. So far I have a mixed bag of stuff like personal articles about making friends through anime fandom to things like a recent article in which I look back at what the early 90's UK anime scene was like via an old BBC documentary. I'll also do the typical reviews and stuff (with a retro slant) including retrospectives on entire franchises. I'll review merch as well as actual anime and manga and I plan to look at anime-based games and figures/model kits in the future.

I've had a busy year and so my output hasn't been as frequent as I'd like but I've really enjoyed writing every piece I've done.

I would REALLY appreciate any comments or feedback on any of the articles. It's important to me to improve and I also want to deliver content that people WANT to read. I don't think Wordpress lets you like or comment unless you use it yourself so any feedback here would really be great.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Hoping to have new articles up this weekend. I'll update here when I do.

Link is below:-

Animehead's Retroworld
Twitter: @animeheadsretro

Last edited:
Was having a look at your article on the BBC Manga documentary today and, if you're interested, there is a digitial English language release available for the Cobra manga through Kadokawa's Book Walker app, with one of the volumes available as a free sample when you sign up. The volumes are named, rather than numbered, so I'm not sure how complete it is, but it covers both some of the older content from Shonen Jump as well as some of the newer arcs that Terasawa produced with his computer colouring method as seen in the programme.

Also, I really like your header image on the main page by the way :)

Thanks for that Prof Irony, hopefully they're in the process of doing a complete release of each volume. I'll check it out. As established in the thread about your art I can't draw very well myself but my header image art is by a very talented German guy called Hans Steinbach who goes by the handle Hanzo and Heavy Metal Hanzo online. Since he drew this for me he has went onto much bigger things including designing sprites for games, doing art for Capcom and all kinds of stuff.
I hope you enjoyed the blog. I plan to get at least 1 more article uploaded this weekend.

Hey guys. If anyone has enjoyed the blog I have a new article I've just uploaded tonight which is the first part of a complete retrospective on the entire Armoured Trooper Votoms franchise. This first installment starts at the beginning with an in depth review of the TV series.
I'd meant to get this uploaded sooner but you know.....life stuff got in the way.

This weekend I'll be uploading another new article about my experiences working with Animeigo on the recent kickstarted release of Riding Bean on Blu Ray. I'll post here when it's up. Link to my site is below (scroll down past the giant header image for a list of articles).

Animehead's Retroworld

My article about working as a subtitle proofreader for animeigo on their recent kickstarter BD release of Riding Bean is now up. I hope people find it interesting. I love feedback on my articles so if anyone has any please let me know!

Scroll down past the header image and it's the most recent article.

Animehead's Retroworld

Oh really? Maybe I didn't get the moderation email. I'll look into that. How frustrating! I've been dying for comments as well!
What's your wordpress handle so I can have a search?

Last edited:
Just posted a very personal article about friends who've touched my life through anime and manga fandom. I share a lot in this post and I hope the emotion in it comes through in a positive way and if you have like-minded people in your life I hope it makes you feel glad and appreciate every moment you share with them. More reviews coming soon also (hoping to get one up this weekend).

That was rather touching really. I think we get so used to seeing and hearing about negative aspects of various fandoms that it's easy to forget how much these things can bring people together and bring out the best in them too.

Published another 2 articles since the last update here. One on a 1969 Toei anime movie called "Phantom Flying Ship" and also put up one yesterday that's about something I think most anime fans can relate to (particularly those into old school titles) the seemingly never-ending battle against the dreaded backlog!
Animehead's Retroworld

Haven't shared anything from my blog for a while but here's an article people might be interested in. My own "anime origin story". Had been meaning to write this one for a while and only just got round to it. If you're like me and you find people's tales of how they became an anime fan interesting hopefully it might resonate with you!

Haven't shared anything from my blog for a while but here's an article people might be interested in. My own "anime origin story". Had been meaning to write this one for a while and only just got round to it. If you're like me and you find people's tales of how they became an anime fan interesting hopefully it might resonate with you!

Congrats on blogging for two years. Also I mentioned you in this little blog piece of my mine (you might recognise me ;))

Ah yes I do. Didn't realise you were on here. Thanks again. Cheers, yes it's crazy that I've been blogging 2 years now. Doesn't really feel like it but I guess it's cause I don't post stuff as regularly as I'd like. My last 2 articles have had a lot less time between them than recent ones and I'm going to try and get into a bit of a rythm of faster publishing by using the scheduler and having some articles qued up and ready for release.

Hi everyone! I haven't been very active on ANUK lately. If anyone enjoys my content be sure to visit the site and see a few new articles since I last posted here. In the last few months I've posted reviews of Baoh The Visitor, Project A-ko and Laughing Target as well as an update post (since I kind of disappeared from everywhere except Twitter for a bit).

Hope you're all doing well!

Hi everyone. Haven't been keeping up with the blog as well as I'd like but here's a post that might hopefully be of interest to some of you (Particularly the older users here). As the title suggests it's about my reflections on being a 40 year old anime fan! If anyone has anything to say about their own experiences and they don't have wordpress or Gravatar post your comments below. I love to hear them.

So recently I tried a new kind of review on my blog: action figure reviews which meant I've been researching action figure photography and having to learn an entirely new skill. I've photographed figures and model kits before but I've never really tried to pose them properly to shoot dynamic photos.

I'd really appreciate it if people would take a look and perhaps give me some feedback. Action figure review: Fist of the North Star Kenshiro “Super action statue”
Will try and get the next one up soon.

I'd really appreciate it if people would take a look and perhaps give me some feedback.
I enjoyed your article, Valkyrie; it was very well written. 👍

I thought that the photography was excellent, and I'd never have guessed that you had no previous experience of shooting figures. I liked your custom accessorising as well.

Where did the two background sets come from, out of interest? 😯

Thanks Neil! I really appreciate the fedback.

That's really nice of you to say, means a lot considering I just started. I had really only taken very basic photos previously (like the ones in that model kit thread I posted ages ago of my Votoms Kits). I've been getting really interested in it lately though and studied a lot of people's work online and looked at some tutorials with a view to taking shots with action poses and a bit more to them than just a figure standing still. Those shots in the Kenshiro review were achieved with only a small USB desktop lamp and a basic tripod to hold my phone.

Regarding the backgrounds: there's a guy I found who runs a etsy shop called "Instaprint Diorama" he designed them. He does a variety of different backdrops, you buy the files and instructions off him and then build them out of foam board and paper. You basically just cut the foam board to the size you want and print the walls and floors images on the same size paper and then use a glue stick to attach them. I just propped them up using household items to get them to stay put but I've seen people make similar things online put little magnets in so the walls/floors all connect nice and flush. This was more of a DIY rush job though just to get it done and have a crack at it. He also includes with the backdrops files for little decorative items that fit the scene such as weapon racks, crates, etc which you can make out of card and fold.
It's very easy to do, I'm crap at making things and I managed it no problem. I'd recommend them as an affordable, easy to store way to make dioramas but if you're industrious you could probably find or make some images yourself without the need for the files.

@Neil.T I also just reaalised I didn't fully answer your question the other day, you asked about the 2 background sets and I only answered about one of them, the dojo one was from the Instaprint diorama guy. The other is actually a printed screenshot from my Blu ray of the Fist of the north star movie zoomed in and printed out and then attached to some card! A Very DIY solution!

Back