UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

Gundam is France. Not us. They've hinted on twitter they may have more for gun dams for us but rn their is no indication they are for us.
hjtuN0I.gif

Where is the Trilogy SE?
Where is the Origin SE?
Origin is OOP here not France it really looks like they are focusing on one market the bigger market. Why would AL not announce the Gundams if they officially announced them in France it doesn’t make sense.

Last edited:
I tweeted AL to enquire about those new Gundam CE's France are getting and got a reply saying "UK Gundam fans shouldn't worry and won't be left out. We'll be bringing folks more details as soon as we can." So that's reassuing at least.

Reassuring like the now 11 months of silence on new Gundam releases, last info we had was at May MCM last year.
Honestly I'm glad Char's Counterattack is at least somewhere considering it was supposed to be next after ZZ until the 4K remasters suddenly appeared.

Surely in terms of sorting out Gundam releases, the smaller titles would be quicker to release? I mean these lot below can be one single release without issue:
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket [6 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory & Afterglow of Zeon [13 eps & 1 film - film already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam F-91 [1 film - film already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO [9 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam the Origin V-VI: Chronicle Of The Loum Battlefield Collection [2 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower [1 film]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn [7 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team [12 eps & 1 film]
  • Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam: A New Translation [3 films]
Sorting the above out would leave us with:
  • After War Gundam X [39 eps, awaiting Blu-ray master]
  • Gundam Build Fighters [25 eps]
  • Gundam Build Fighters Try [25 eps]
  • Mobile Fighter G Gundam [49 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season 1) [25 eps - series already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (Season 2) [25 eps - series already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition [3 films]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer [1 film]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam AGE [49 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam AGE: Memory of Eden [1 film]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed HD-Remaster [50 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Seed Destiny HD-Remaster [50 eps]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing [49 eps - series already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz [3 eps - series already BBFC'd]
  • Mobile Suit Victory Gundam [51 eps]
  • Turn-∀ Gundam [50 eps]
*Ruling out Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans and Gundam Build Divers due to Funimation.

0080 is one I'd really like them to release just because in 6 episodes it really sells what Gundam can be when the staff care. I remember when they had The Origin producer at MCM he talked a lot about the constant battle to tell a story that lasts vs Bandai just wanting them to push model kits and 0080 really has that attitude to it.

Beyond that, I really think given Gundam is a niche title here anyway it would just make sense to do the full length series as complete boxes for fans to pick up in one hit. Maybe there's cost reasons against that (I remember BEI saying their later Gundam releases were stretched out to a ridiculous number of volumes because they had to balance numbers sold against the hefty cost Sunrise makes them pay) but I imagine it'd just be easier to get it out there in one hit and it does do poorly it's only a single product you have to worry about, not two for each.

I am kind of sad that they've missed the window from a few years back when Build Fighters was popular enough that even non Gundam fans loved it. That could have sold well for them.

Where is the Trilogy SE?
Where is the Origin SE?
Origin is OOP here not France it really looks like they are focusing on one market the bigger market. Why would AL not announce the Gundams if they officially announced them in France it doesn’t make sense.
As far as I'm aware Anime Limited as pretty much always been a UK and France sibling company and seems to stem from Andrew's experience in similar with companies like beez and Wakanim.

Now if you found a company on that with the idea two countries are linked by a political and economic union and then the smaller one chooses to exit that union in the worst way possible....well....

As always I can only speculate but with the delay at the start of the year for releases and hiring staff for the French branch, it really would not surprise me if questions are being asked about how viable the UK branch is in the not too distant future and focus is being put on the side of the company that isn't likely to soon be a liability.

I don't say that to attack AL because they have done a lot to make things better for UK anime fans. The Mamoru Hosoda exhibit they arranged last year had imported props and works that then had to be shipped back afterwards.

As far as I'm aware Anime Limited as pretty much always been a UK and France sibling company and seems to stem from Andrew's experience in similar with companies like beez and Wakanim.

Now if you found a company on that with the idea two countries are linked by a political and economic union and then the smaller one chooses to exit that union in the worst way possible....well....

As always I can only speculate but with the delay at the start of the year for releases and hiring staff for the French branch, it really would not surprise me if questions are being asked about how viable the UK branch is in the not too distant future and focus is being put on the side of the company that isn't likely to soon be a liability.

I don't say that to attack AL because they have done a lot to make things better for UK anime fans. The Mamoru Hosoda exhibit they arranged last year had imported props and works that then had to be shipped back afterwards.

Wouldn’t normally dip in nowadays, but just to say this definitely isn’t the case. The work we’ve done in the UK has yielded some really significant results and the UK is more than commercially viable. That’s why we’re hiring again in the UK just now and will have another role up in the UK soon.

We’ve had a busy time in the background this year so far even if not immediately obvious from the outside! Later half of the year will show that more though :).

Why the Gundam announcements in FR and not UK? Simply we don’t want to talk until we’re ready to lock dates in now having learned from mistakes of the past. France has Tomino-san coming in July and their releases need to be ready by then. So stay tuned but all the listed Gundam is on the docket for the UK too :).

Back to my box being busy and a CEO here but just figured I was ideally suited to answer ;).

Best,

Andrew

Wouldn’t normally dip in nowadays, but just to say this definitely isn’t the case. The work we’ve done in the UK has yielded some really significant results and the UK is more than commercially viable. That’s why we’re hiring again in the UK just now and will have another role up in the UK soon.

We’ve had a busy time in the background this year so far even if not immediately obvious from the outside! Later half of the year will show that more though :).

Why the Gundam announcements in FR and not UK? Simply we don’t want to talk until we’re ready to lock dates in now having learned from mistakes of the past. France has Tomino-san coming in July and their releases need to be ready by then. So stay tuned but all the listed Gundam is on the docket for the UK too :).

Back to my box being busy and a CEO here but just figured I was ideally suited to answer ;).

Best,

Andrew
54CTqXZ.jpg

So not same date... surprising. And why do those titles need to be ready for Tomino he was only involved in one of those. Wouldn’t Turn A be a better choice over wing?

So not same date... surprising. And why do those titles need to be ready for Tomino he was only involved in one of those. Wouldn’t Turn A be a better choice over wing?
Man at this point they'll never release Turn A and never even admit it... Them dangling with the carrot in front of our faces for years is getting annoying.

Why do all the Twin Star Exorcist parts have an £44.49 srp [sale £31.49] and every other 12 - 13 cour standard release has a £34.49 [sale £24.49] ie. Testament of Sister New Devil, Kiznaiver, K: Return of Kings etc.
Yes it has a 20 page book that goes in the case but surely that doesn't add £10 to the srp?!?!

I'll have a guess, part one didn't sell all that well for some reason (could be nobody trusts AL to release things in a timely manner) and to recoup some costs from it the SRP is higher, or it could be because they've fallen from favour with Funi they needed to pay extra to finish the series, either is possible.
I'm just glad it's finally nearing the end of this long annoying saga, ironically I was about to pull the trigger and import if they didn't say anything soon, they did so all's good but awfully slow.

I'll have a guess, part one didn't sell all that well for some reason (could be nobody trusts AL to release things in a timely manner) and to recoup some costs from it the SRP is higher, or it could be because they've fallen from favour with Funi they needed to pay extra to finish the series, either is possible.
I'm just glad it's finally nearing the end of this long annoying saga, ironically I was about to pull the trigger and import if they didn't say anything soon, they did so all's good but awfully slow.
Probably more to do with the booklets. As I said on the discord, I am not a fan of the idea of having Part 1 be the Box and Parts 2 onwards have booklets (because it makes the later parts more expensive and provides peer pressure due to potential inconsistency). Like in the US, Funimation at least have Part 1 have all of the physical contents leaving the rest of the parts (outside of Black Clover which is more of a rare case).

Twin Star Exorcist is also a Crunchyroll title (heck if it were Funimation it would have been canceled a quarter of the way through the release schedule lol).

0080 is one I'd really like them to release just because in 6 episodes it really sells what Gundam can be when the staff care. I remember when they had The Origin producer at MCM he talked a lot about the constant battle to tell a story that lasts vs Bandai just wanting them to push model kits and 0080 really has that attitude to it.

Agreed. 0080 is a masterpiece, and would be a relatively resource-light release compared to longer Gundam series.

Back