What manga are you reading now?

Laid-Back Camp vol 5
Ahh, it's nice seeing some unadapted content. And this kept up the comfiness quotient. So calming. I liked chibi Inuko picking on Aki in particular :p

The Master of Ragnarok vol 6
This series is good, except for when it just goes all generic harem. And this was a good volume. The whole subplot with the Divine Empress (can that be called a subplot? Eh) was handled pretty well, will be interesting to see the impact that has in the future. And then the cliffhanger at the end with Yuuto getting sent back to Japan. Didn't see that coming at all. Makes me hype for the next volume.

Amagi Brilliant Park vol 4
Short story collection volumes vary in quality depending on the nature of the work I feel, and ABP does lend itself well to them. Well, I'm not sure it can be called a short story collection volume if the previous volume was similar. Either way, the stories in this one were mostly good. Kanie's family situation has the potential to explode in the future - that's really not a healthy way of dealing with it. Glad Sento's showing him some sympathy at least.

Girls' Last Tour Vol. 6 (complete)
Things continue as they had always been for the first half of the volume with the girls finding various reminders of the past for them to muse over, but then things take a turn for the worse with them losing their transport and then slowly everything else. The ending was slightly ambiguous, they found nothing at the top of the city, but an odd white box. Also they had run out of everything, and then they fall asleep with the camera pulling back, but when it comes back there are no bodies and part of the white had fallen off the box to reveal a black wall with odd symbols on. Then the very last image is the girls walking through a field. I'm clinging to the hope it was some sort of teleportation device and that they went to a better place (not in the religious sense)
Overall you get a great sense of it being a post apocalyptic world with things in disrepair and the relationship between the 2 girls are great. The plot of constantly musing about society in the past gets a bit shaky with the flashback which clearly shows that they grew up in some sort of community, so it isn't like they never had experience of society. Also Ket, the weird creature they find, seemed a bit out of place. Could have easily been another human, maybe instead.
Overall though the musing were quite deep in most places and it's a very interesting read.
8/10

Mushishi volumes 3-4

Shortcake cake volume 3

In Another World with My Smartphone volume 13 (light novel)

Ao Haru Ride volume 3

In Another World with my Smartphone (LN) vol 13
This keeps chugging along at a pleasant pace. I'm kinda confused as to why JNC's release was only 6 parts, considering the epic length of the last part. Oh well.
I'm kinda wondering how the story's going to continue. Will we get a timeskip and thus actually see Touya's full family for a significant length of time, or is the main story going to end before that (and maybe we'll see some of it as an epilogue)?

In Another World with my Smartphone (LN) vol 13
This keeps chugging along at a pleasant pace. I'm kinda confused as to why JNC's release was only 6 parts, considering the epic length of the last part. Oh well.

The translator and J-Novel Club agreed to start putting the books out in 6 parts going forward so they can catch up to Japan. I don't think the parts were well balanced at all though, that final one was kind of ridiculous in length, so I hope that's fixed going forward or they go back to 8. I like Smartphone but not reading 30-40% of the book in a single hit...

The translator and J-Novel Club agreed to start putting the books out in 6 parts going forward so they can catch up to Japan. I don't think the parts were well balanced at all though, that final one was kind of ridiculous in length, so I hope that's fixed going forward or they go back to 8. I like Smartphone but not reading 30-40% of the book in a single hit...
Oh, that makes sense. Yeah, I've no problem if they're well balanced but a couple of the parts this time were kinda short and then there was that final part...

Woof Woof Story: I Told You to Turn Me Into a Pampered Pooch, Not Fenrir! (LN) vol 1
Ah yes, light novels and their long titles.
This was a pretty good start though. Feels very similar to Killing Slimes, perhaps unsurprisingly. There were some hints towards an overall plot (just what was that illness that affected Lady Mary every year?) and some character arcs (Zenobia, at least, clearly has a hefty backstory) but mostly it was getting everything introduced and setting the scene. The image of a massive wolf dog, a cat and a mouse together causing each other grief is certainly an entertaining one.

Koimonogatari (light novel), review to follow but certainly a satisfying conclusion to the 'season'.

Fullmetal Alchemist Fullmetal Edition volume 4

My Solo Exchange Diary volume 2 (complete) - I think the fact the previous two books became so big and the reaction to them from those around her, put the author on the back-foot. You can see where she stops sharing certain thoughts and feelings that perhaps she would have before. It's an autobiography so I feel a little bad criticising it, but honestly I think this was a good time to bring it to an end. Its lost the emotional grip it had previously.

Mushishi volume 5

Back