What Music are you listening to? Discussions Welcome!

Dream Theater get a pretty bad rap for being an insanely technical band that's lacking in emotion, but The Best of Times just oozes great amounts of emotion. The music is beautiful and the lyrics about Mike Portnoy's father's death are very sincere, not to mention that solo at the end, my God. Even if you're not into metal or rock, I'd still recommend giving this track a listen. It's quite long but worthwhile.

Listened to David Sylvian's debut solo album Brilliant Trees. It has some great songs on it.
Listened to his third album Gone to Earth as well. It's also a good album with one or two standouts.
Honestly I’m still stuck on tracks from this album, as well as some of the songs from Secrets of the Beehive. Sylvian’s lyrics and vocals and Ryuichi Sakamoto’s production just work so well together.

This album turned out to be a pretty mediocre listen and a bit of a let down, but there are at least a spattering of good tracks, and Atlas is turning out to be a big grower on me. It was written for the lead singer's first born son, whom the song is named after, and I think the heart that went into the lyrics really comes across in the music too.

First the good news hmv has been saved the bad news is 27 stores are closeing including their flagship store and yes I know there's still fopp but there metal section of incredibly small and I don't like there film section because they don't have big selection of movies and don't think I found any 4K disks.

First the good news hmv has been saved the bad news is 27 stores are closeing including their flagship store and yes I know there's still fopp but there metal section of incredibly small and I don't like there film section because they don't have big selection of movies and don't think I found any 4K disks.
At least many of you still have *a* designated shop for music - where I live there's bugger all so I have to get my CD's from Amazon! 🙄

At least many of you still have *a* designated shop for music - where I live there's bugger all so I have to get my CD's from Amazon! 🙄
The flagship hmv store was the nearest one to me there's was one much closer to me at Westfield Stratford but it closed down.

Last edited:
The flagship hmv store was the nearest one to me there's was one much closer to me at Westfield Stratford but it closed down.

Ours went when the first administrative wave hit them back on around 2013. We used to have an MVC but that went ages ago as well. Then again my town is going pretty downhill generally and has been for a good while now. loads of closures of high street names and basically just pop-up shops at every turn. It's a shame but it's sadly the way it goes. Extortionate lease rates don't help the cause.

At least @Neil.T still has a HMV - hooray! 😃 😄

We used to have an MVC but that went ages ago as well. Then again my town is going pretty downhill generally and has been for a good while now. loads of closures of high street names and basically just pop-up shops at every turn. It's a shame but it's sadly the way it goes. Extortionate lease rates don't help the cause.

At least @Neil.T still has a HMV - hooray! 😃 😄
I used to love MVC! I have to admit, though...I forgot all about it until I just saw this post. There used to be one in a town near me and I bought some fantastic stuff from them over the years...a fairly rare wrestling DVD, the Clone Wars Gamecube game, a My Chemical Romance CD and a nice Jackass t-shirt. 2004/5 was a wonderful time.

Sadly, that MVC is long gone, along with the Music Zone and Our Price from the same town...with HMV soon to be on its way out (assuming it hasn't closed already...I've not been for a few weeks). H&M, Argos and even McDonalds has shut down there over the past few years too. It's becoming like a ghost town. :(
----------------
I'm listening to the new Busted album, by the way. It's a lot of fun! I'm especially enjoying Shipwrecked In Atlantis, which sounds like EOTS-era Blink 182 and New Found Glory did a Gotenks-style fusion.

What Happened To Your Band (a bit of Son of Dork/James Bourne solo/McBusted recycling) is still one of my favourite songs ever too.

I'm chuffed to bits to still have it. 👍

But yeah, the rent that HMV have been having to pay for the Oxford Street store is utterly shocking.
Apparently the new owner hopes to be able to reopen it one day. I will miss it but I’m grateful that the Fopp in Covent Garden is still open!

Apparently the new owner hopes to be able to reopen it one day. I will miss it but I’m grateful that the Fopp in Covent Garden is still open!
Fingers crossed for that. 🤞

I'll be in London in early June for a few days, so I shall pay a visit to Fopp while I'm there. (And to Forbidden Planet also.)

I understand that the Glasgow Byres Road Fopp has been saved from closure too, somehow.

It's becoming like a ghost town. :(

Sadly it seems to be the way things are going for many places. My town has never been amazing by any stretch but it's definitely lost some of the buzz that was once present. It's lost so much over the years and any investment it does seem to get is pumped into the university. Excellent - we'll have a bunch of graduates lumbered with debt who have no jobs to go to because there's nothing left! ☹️

Sadly it seems to be the way things are going for many places. My town has never been amazing by any stretch but it's definitely lost some of the buzz that was once present. It's lost so much over the years and any investment it does seem to get is pumped into the university. Excellent - we'll have a bunch of graduates lumbered with debt who have no jobs to go to because there's nothing left! ☹️
I get you on the whole ghost town vibe. All the clubs have been shut down and bands don’t play anymore-too much fighting on the dancefloor

Fingers crossed for that. 🤞

I'll be in London in early June for a few days, so I shall pay a visit to Fopp while I'm there. (And to Forbidden Planet also.)

I understand that the Glasgow Byres Road Fopp has been saved from closure too, somehow.
It’s not massive but hopefully when they replenish stock it’ll be back to its cosy feeling again. Forbidden Planet you could spend ages in though, so much to peruse.

It’s not massive but hopefully when they replenish stock it’ll be back to its cosy feeling again. Forbidden Planet you could spend ages in though, so much to peruse.
Yeah, it'll be good when HMV and Fopp start getting new stock in again. It's been weird going into my local HMV and finding no new-release stuff for those few weeks.

And yeah, walking into the Shaftsbury Avenue branch of Forbidden Planet is like being confronted with @Denny Fisher's anime collection. ;)

When a band you love makes an album entirely about other bands you love.

There's a rusted fog machine / In a concrete storage space / Letter-number combinations with no meaning on it's face / They won't make these any more / It's a wooden coach-and-four / No-one will even steal it if you leave it by the door

No-one's ever going to dethrone Richey, but Darnielle is in my top two lyricists now, for sure.

Back