UK Anime Distributor Anime Limited Discussion Thread

As a big fan of Bebop I have to say it looks awesome. Inclusion of the soundtracks makes it all the more better - yet sadly not the movie soundtrack too [which is a shame as that's equally as good]. The Wolf's Rain U/E sorely missed having the soundtracks.

Plus, this is the series that got me into a serious love of jazz music, so it's always going to hold a dear place to me.

Gundam Build Divers finale aired today. In it we get to see a map of major hubs and servers across the globe. Nothing in the UK.

We've gone from a legendary lineage of Gunpla fans coming from the UK in BF to London being depicted as a dump in Try and now this.

Concerning.
isHIJ2k.png

@anime_andrew You know mp3dom, or at least he knows you (as he told me), so is it possible you and Dynit can work out an agreement on something in the future? I’d love to see mp3dom encoding perfection with English subtitles (dubs mean nothing to me, but I’d be fine with that if we were able to get his compression).

That Dragon Pilot anime looks like a good story, but I won't be able to tolerate all the moe little girls in that one, so I would never buy it on Blu-ray.
IiGUfyb.jpg

Didn't feel like a moe show to me, but maybe I've been corrupted! Dunno what a recommendation from me is worth, but s'good.
Yeah I wouldn't say it was either. The designs are a little bit, but the colour pallet is very realistic, no pink or blue hair in site. The characters themselves are quite natural as well, nothing too over the top. If you've got Netflix it won't hurt to give a shot.

I mean I'm glad its getting traction but if Netflix allowed it to be simulcast it would be have been great to tie in with Maquia as they are both written by Mari Okada. Dragon Pilot is vastly superior in my opinion but yeah I wouldn't have seen Maquia probs if I didn't enjoy Hisone when it was airing.

I mean I'm glad its getting traction but if Netflix allowed it to be simulcast it would be have been great to tie in with Maquia as they are both written by Mari Okada. Dragon Pilot is vastly superior in my opinion but yeah I wouldn't have seen Maquia probs if I didn't enjoy Hisone when it was airing.
The Hisone director (Hiroshi Kobayashi) worked with Okada on Maquia (storyboard) and Kiznaiver (director) so obviously have a good working relationship. It's shaping up to be my favourite Okada outside of her work with Tatsuyuki Nagai.

Yeah I wouldn't say it was either. The designs are a little bit, but the colour pallet is very realistic, no pink or blue hair in site. The characters themselves are quite natural as well, nothing too over the top. If you've got Netflix it won't hurt to give a shot.

Ok, I had seen an image or video for the series that showed some of the characters as younger children, so I was going by that. I watched a few episodes, and it's too far out there, like Strike Witches, and the artwork is too cartooney for me, especially the dragon. I'll probably finish watching it, but it's nothing I would consider buying. Maquia I'll probably enjoy much more.

I mean, I prefer anime based somewhat more similar to real life - I enjoy some fantasy, but something like this is just a bit too much out there for me. A dragon covered in metal jet parts and converting into a complete jet is like Transformers, which is totally ridiculous - just as Giant Mecha is to me. I'm looking for anime that is more mature than that; I'm not into Saturday morning kiddie cartoons anymore at my age. That's why the only shows I've cared to watch this past season are ones like Angolmois, Holmes of Tokyo, Phantom in the Twilight, and We Rent Tsukumogami - some fantasy is there but still based mostly in a real life setting, more or less. Give me more Black Lagoon, Jormangund, Psycho Pass, Joker Game, GitS kind of anime.

I mean, I prefer anime based somewhat more similar to real life - I enjoy some fantasy, but something like this is just a bit too much out there for me. A dragon covered in metal jet parts and converting into a complete jet is like Transformers, which is totally ridiculous - just as Giant Mecha is to me. I'm looking for anime that is more mature than that; I'm not into Saturday morning kiddie cartoons anymore at my age. That's why the only shows I've cared to watch this past season are ones like Angolmois, Holmes of Tokyo, Phantom in the Twilight, and We Rent Tsukumogami - some fantasy is there but still based mostly in a real life setting, more or less. Give me more Black Lagoon, Jormangund, Psycho Pass, Joker Game, GitS kind of anime.

Just because anime has fantastical or unrealistic elements doesn't automatically degrade it to the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. There are lots of anime that are considered the best of the medium, yet will still contain some of the criteria you claim to despise. Your close mindedness really is to your own detriment, as you are depriving yourself of some of the best the medium has to offer.

Yep, I dislike the vast majority anime out there, except for a very narrow-focused slice of the whole pie - mostly post-2000 seinen in nature. I'm not biased - I just can't tolerate all the rest of it, lol... I do randomly try to watch some anime outside of my comfort zone on streaming every now and then, and I may even get all the way through a series like that - but that doesn't mean I would ever buy it.

And yes, I dislike retro anime because I don't care for the older anime art styles. I think it's mostly because it reminds me too much of all those Saturday morning cartoons I grew up with back in the 1960's and 1970's. I got enough of that style back then, I'm tired of it, so I want to see something that looks different or better than that, now.

Last edited:
too far out there
So real life (but not teens/children), or sci-fi (because it could happen), or fantastical in a fantastical setting are all OK. I suppose that's still quite a wide-ish range.
Explains your Ghibli list. All the fantastical in real world is towards the bottom. Magical fish/cat/racoon dog people, Witches and a Cat bus!
Except Marnie's your number one, although you do have this in your season list
We Rent Tsukumogami
So light supernatural is OK.

BTW
Giant Mecha
Come under sci-fi that could happen 😜

also hates retro anime
Not entirely true Nausicaä is second on that Ghibli list.

@D1tchd1gger

1) yes, mostly. Just remember I avoid moe, comedy, Idol, and fanservice anime, so that leaves out a good 90% of anime right there!

2) yes

3) Smaller mecha suits are Sci-fi that could happen, so I don't mind that (e.g. Flag anime, Avatar movie), But GIANT Mecha is a different story - we aren't going to see 100-foot tall manned robots running around fighting aliens or Godzilla or other giant mechs any time soon, especially in outer space.

4) In general I prefer the "slice-of life" Ghibi movies over the fantasy-based ones, but a few of the fantasy ones I do really like, Nausicaa, Mononoke, Howl's, Porco... Nausicaa is retro but the Ghibli animation is a much different style from other retro anime.

Nausicaä is retro but the Ghibli animation is a much different style from other retro anime.
Except Nausicaä wasn’t produced by Ghibli... but I get your point.

I’d disagree, though. There’s this beauty to cel based artwork that digital cannot compare to (not even ufotable and their “post processing” crap), where you realise every frame was painted by hand on cels, it’s a much more beautiful and aesthetically pleasing design.

Personally, I’d say anime is getting worse each year. Ever since 2010, things have dramatically worsened in storytelling. The reason I prefer retro anime isn’t because of the aesthetics (though they are better), but because back then they cared about quality over quantity something missing from today’s landscape of wanting more and sooner.

Yes, most anime today is very cookie-cutter in their story-telling. fortunately for me, the majority of those anime that are cookie-cutter are mostly in genres I avoid anyway.

OK, back on topic, now, guys... this is the AL Discussion thread... :)

Back