Your viewing journal

Ancient Magus' Bride, seven episodes with next door neighbor - we finished Season One's last four episodes 9-12, and then I showed her the three prequel OVAs, because she had missed them and watched the first three episodes of the series on her own first, before I got to her. After watching the OVAs both before and after the first season, I feel they should definitely be watched before the series, as they had been aired, as it makes much more sense to get Chise's backstory details then, so you can better understand why she is like she is, going into the series - even though the introductions of Elias and Ruth's characters within the series are spoiled a bit by their appearances in the OVAs.

Snow White with the red hair 1-12

Seemed like it could’ve been alright from the first handful of episodes then nothing seemed to happen for me. Just didn’t feel I could invest in the characters, which is a shame as it seemed like I should’ve been able to. Ultimately that killed the enjoyment for me so I won’t bother with the next season.

Junji Ito 8

Another meh episode. Not entirely sure why this is falling so flat, it’s the kind of thing I could normally get right behind.

DeathMarch to a parallel world rhapsody 8
Still enjoying the setting. Other than that is it bad I like seeing all the skills used/learned?

Franxx 10 - franxxly, my dear, I reckon this episode showed a glimpse into something messed up with how the characters live, just like a series like madoka, the whole story is there somewhere, A1 and studio trigger just haven't given the expanded version of it yet
violet evergarden 11 - another quite sad one that kind of, ends sadly for this episode's client, like last week. It's gone from a "they'll be fine at the end of it" series to something that's starting to nipple cripple the viewer, emotionally speaking
And speaking of madoka in this post....
magic madoka: rebellion - even worse for foreshadowing then the series was. There is so much somewhere near the start, and with how someone might have to see the series before watching this, how does the viewer not get the twist early on? I suppose they do. The effects are absolutely gourgous though, as were the effects in the series, but, what's an over the top word for something that's gourgous like the madoka series, but better?

As I've never seen the Japanese dub of Claymore I guess I'll see what I think of it now

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Sub) Episode 11
How to Keep a Mummy (Sub) Episode 11
Marchen Maedchen (Sub) Episode 9
Ms Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles (Sub) Episode12
Yuru Camp (Sub) Episode 12

Violet Evergarden ep 11
This one seemed a bit corny compared to the last episode. Yes, Violet could totally kick those dudes arses, but no way in hell would a civilian pilot want to go anywhere near a combat zone! The client story was quite sad though.

Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles ep 12 (complete)
Quite funny in places, but Koizumi and Yuu showed zero character development over the entire season. 6/10

After the Rain ep 11
Regrets, I've had a few...

The Ancient Magus' Bride eps 9-12
Quite slow, but has a few moving moments. I wish they didn't do the Chibi reaction stuff for the comedy moments doesn't really fit the mood of the show for me. Maybe it comes from the manga? Which is something I noticed when reading FMA.

Right, I put it for long enough. The final episode of...
Yuru Camp△ ep 12 (complete 😢)
Another great fun and relaxing episode. This is SoL done right. 9/10!

Violet Evergarden ep 11
This one seemed a bit corny compared to the last episode. Yes, Violet could totally kick those dudes arses, but no way in hell would a civilian pilot want to go anywhere near a combat zone! The client story was quite sad though.

Ms. Koizumi Loves Ramen Noodles ep 12 (complete)
Quite funny in places, but Koizumi and Yuu showed zero character development over the entire season. 6/10

After the Rain ep 11
Regrets, I've had a few...

The Ancient Magus' Bride eps 9-12
Quite slow, but has a few moving moments. I wish they didn't do the Chibi reaction stuff for the comedy moments doesn't really fit the mood of the show for me. Maybe it comes from the manga? Which is something I noticed when reading FMA.

Right, I put it for long enough. The final episode of...
Yuru Camp△ ep 12 (complete 😢)
Another great fun and relaxing episode. This is SoL done right. 9/10!
Looks like our thoughts (and MAL ratings) coincide with Koizumi and Yuru Camp!

😃
Be interesting to see where we go for VE and APFTTU. If I go where I think I might go for APFTTU I will have to adjust a few of my other scores.
Well like you I thought this weeks VE was a bit meh, whilst APFTTU has been very good and rather thought provoking in places (didn't watch each episode twice though, sorry) Curious to see what episode 13 will bring. So far it's an 8/10 for me.

2018-03-22_5.png

After the Rain (Japanese audio) - Episode 11
Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody (Japanese audio) - Episode 11

Here's the thing about Death March. I know it's terrible but I love watching it because it's just amusing. Also makes for some good reaction pics.

2018-03-22_17.png

How to Keep a Mummy episode 11 Now this was a really interesting episode, more worldbuilding and some character development. Last episode looks to be interesting as well.

Miss Koizumi loves Ramen Noodles episode 12 (Complete. A fine but unremarkable anime that had potential to be more educational than it is. The characters just aren't very interesting, and the formulaic nature just didn't lend itself to anything of much substance. I liked the soundtrack at least. Overall, it was fine, I watched all of it but I doubt I'd come back for another serving.) 3/5

Violet Evergarden episode 11 War, what is it good for? That aside this episode wasn't really that great, especially after last weeks offering. It was pretty average in its execution.

Yuru Camp episode 12 (Complete. This was one of the most enjoyable SoL anime I've seen. I really enjoyed each episode, the characters and gorgeous settings. I'd have more to say if I didn't praise it each week. I'd love for a second season. Overall, this was AOTS for me.) 4.5/5

A Place Further Than the Universe episodes 11-12 Not sure what made me sadder, episode 12 of this or Yuru Camp ending.

Gintama episodes 9-12

Giovanni's Island (Film) A solid war/post-war story about Russians occupying a Japanese island and the trials and tribulations that the two brothers must face. There's plenty of devastating circumstances, including a doomed friendship with a Russian child. It was enjoyable enough, but not great-the ending was a nice touch though. The booklet with the AL release was really cool at least. 3.5/5

Claymore (japanese) 1-5 - it's only really covered Clare and Teresa as claymore, I'm thinking that they sound more feminine than the dub, particularly Clare, who almost sounds like Stephanie young is playing a masculine role, where as hoko plays it more naturally. Somehow, Teresa doesn't sound that different between Japanese or English, the yoma, instead of having layered voices of any sort, sound more like generic monsters, which they pretty much are. The only character who really suffers apart from it being part of their role is galk, horie doesn't really play anything into the role, sounding like he's just talking about extremely banal stuff and shouting very blandly doesn't seem to help, I can't blame him for not being as good as the English actor for galk though, as It's the Prince of saiyans himself, Chris Sabat, albeit in a relatively smaller role than he usually has.
I wonder if the awakened beings sound any better? I've seen one or two clips where they don't layer voices like the English dub, just basically change the role their character has. I guess I'll find out another time

Back