Japan not best pleased by Brexit

Waste of ******* money. The governments job is to serve the people not to control what we think we have enough of that **** from the likes of Google and Mainstream Media

@HellCat is that actually anything to do with Brexit though? I mean I agree it's seriously dodgy but to my mind it’s just more creeping authoritarianism that’s been growing ever since the “War on Terror” era to give government a reason to exist in an era they’ve abdicated all responsibility beyond “we will keep you safe from the boogeyman (who we have created)” to the financial markets.

I mean it's not like most of Europe is much better in that regard with their laws against Holocaust denial. While I think it's pretty vile and provably wrong to say the Holocaust didn't happen, what those laws essentially say is: "If you question this provable factual thing that happened, you go to prison" in which case to my mind, everyone who questions evolution or says there were weapons of mass destruction in Iraq should also be in prison. Let's have some consistency.

Last edited:
Tories now insisting they don't have to find a Brexit solution that maintains the Good Friday Agreement because it's past its use anyway.

Jesus Christ!

Hmm. I'm still not convinced the Tories are quite mad enough to restore a hard border in Ireland whilst being propped up in Westminster by the DUP. "We destroyed the Northern Ireland peace process" would certainly be an interesting rosette to have to wear into the next election.

I'm starting to think that next election might have to come sooner rather than later. It's already clear this government is so at war with itself (and Theresa May in particular so woeful at crafting compromise between the wings of her own party) it can't get anything done.

So apparently Brexit won’t end in us becoming a Mad Max style dystopia.

Aww.

Also found this bemusing. So you don’t want free movement of people from within the EU Michael, but you do want to ship in cheap labour from outside the EU? Well firstly what’s the goddamn difference and secondly wouldn’t this have been a good opportunity to provide, y’know, unemployed British people with work?

Last edited:
So apparently Brexit won’t end in us becoming a Mad Max style dystopia.

Aww.

Also found this bemusing. So you don’t want free movement of people from within the EU Michael, but you do want to ship in cheap labour from outside the EU? Well firstly what’s the goddamn difference and secondly wouldn’t this have been a good opportunity to provide, y’know, unemployed British people with work?

Wholeheartely agree. As an unemployed British bum I'd gladly take up any job right now, but it seems that any job that requires more than the use of a few brain cells requires a P.h.D, a list of credentials and references as long as my arm, minimum 2 years experience, and we're talking entry level here! I can't even get a foot in the door in the field I want to get into (for aforementioned reasons and because the jobs just don't exist), but even when I'm on the lookout for something, anything more general, it's ridiculously hard to come by!

Oh hey, would you look at that. Labour actually took a position and laid out their plans for Brexit, which include remaining in a customs union.

Your turn Conservatives.

A Labour government would negotiate "full tariff-free" access to EU Markets - Jeremy Corbyn
So that's what he meant by negotiating e.g not negotiating at all and putting us in a worst position than we were as an actual member of the EU

Last edited:
Regardless of what you might think of it, remaining in the single market/customs union is what a majority of Labour voters, even those who voted leave want, so it's a smart move from their perspective.

Good luck getting the same kind of consensus from Tory voters. Or even MPs. Which is why their Brexit policy is still [TBD]. I'm genuinely looking forward to their next move though, because it either means Theresa May has to step up to the plate and show some actual leadership, or that her MPs oust her.

I don't know about opinion polls but at the last general election the parties that got the most votes where parties who's leaders advocated leaving the single market/customs union e.g May and Cornyn, whereas the liberal undemocrats and what's his face where obliterated into obscurity and the arms of (the elderly arthritis ridden, what day is it again is it Wednesday" no Vince it's Monday and why aren't you wearing any pants") Vince Cable.

So things are looking interesting in Italy... slightly miffed that no English language source is providing live election results, preferring to concentrate on the Oscars :rolleyes:

Interesting I wonder what is the Five Star movements stance on EU membership
They've softened their position on the EU somewhat of late, but from what I gather they still don't much like the Euro (much like with Greece, being part of the Eurozone hasn't exactly been doing Italy any favours since the debt crisis) or the austerity that comes with remaining part of it.

I'm kinda lukewarm on M5S. I like their style and they talk a lot of sense on both social and economic issues (I didn't even know alter-globalisation was a thing until I read about them, but I like the sound of it) however they do have some dodgy allies in the EFDD group in the European Parliament. They might be about to have even dodgier allies, we'll have to see. But it looks more like it'll be a centre-far-right coalition which is a lot less exciting, but not really surprising. The EU deserve their fair share of the blame for that happening for their symbolic handling of the migrant crisis, something that Italy has had to shoulder a disproportionate burden over.

Government defeated in House of Lords on vote in removing us from single market.

But only because some from Labour ignored orders from Corbyn's office to abstain.

Tell me again he's a lovely man and that labour will keep us in SM/CU, please.

Tell me again he's a lovely man and that labour will keep us in SM/CU, please.
I think those two things are unrelated. Everybody knows Corbyn is a Eurosceptic but Labour Party policy is still to remain in a customs union with the EU. A customs union. Not necessarily the single market and customs union we currently have. And I think if they were honest, the Tories would say the same. Nobody wants to cock up Northern Ireland again.

Perhaps earlier posts I've made gave the wrong impression that I think Corbyn himself wants to remain in the SM/CU, or that I actually care whether we do or not. I don't, personally. I was more speculating on what I thought would happen, and I still believe that's the UK remaining in a customs union - Mainly because it's a way to sorta keep us in the EU by proxy and because that's what all the political and business elites would like. I think that's what'll happen, whether I or anyone else likes it or not.

Speaking of elites, I remain bemused by the fact the liberal/centre left is now seemingly in lock-step with the wishes of multinational corporations and the City and heralding the undemocratic, nepotistic relic of a bygone age and waste of taxpayers money on already wealthy and privileged people that is the House of Lords. And people wonder why there's a schism in the Labour Party.

Last edited:
Back