Luna’s Adventures in English

Awesome, man. I often worry that I'd come across as a spoilsport or something. I think that's one of the biggest reasons I kinda avoid social gatherings. Thanks for the input, buddy! ;)

So, yeah, you going off it a bit yourself just now, then?
Honestly I don’t think you’d come across like that, unless someone’s a dick I imagine there’d just be some friendly banter instigated by it.

Not so much just now, more so in the past several years. I was pretty depressed as a teen/in my early twenties, still am to some degree but it’s not like it was but basically I did my excess drinking when I was younger then it turned into drinking (not to excess) but to enjoy the drink as opposed to getting drunk. Now I just don’t feel like drinking and as the drinking is a rarity now, think my last alcohol was around June of last year, I am definitely not as appreciative of the taste.

Edit: just to clarify as I don’t like the way it sounded, I don’t mean I drank like a drunk does, I never had the compulsion that I had to drink it’s simply that when I drank it was more than I should. Spending quite a bit of time with an alcoholic at that stage probably was an exacerbator of this as I think I was used quite a bit to indulge their drinking. Y’know like when a guest comes over give them a drink then you have a reason to grab one yourself.

Last edited:
It's healthier and cheaper not to drink, I guess! :p

Yeah, being of a rather... up-and-down nature myself, I reckon I can do without the added complication of alcohol. There's no telling what kind of character I'd become! Tbh, I'm not even keen on the smell of the stuff.

Since this is her thread, I should give @Luna a namecheck here. I'm sure she mentioned before that she's not a drinker...

Heh, not that many in all honesty, I haven’t really been a drinker for years now let alone a big drinker (unsure if I even qualify for that, possibly for several months as a younger teen where I stayed up all night, slept in the day and generally just wanted to avoid everyone as much as humanly possible) and I was mistaken, forgot I had a beer on New Years. Courtesy of going to a “celebration”. Only a social drinker now and even then don’t have much, don’t like how it can alter perceptions/behaviour.

I thought about questioning the lack of an apostrophe when the thread was first made, but then iirc there's something weird in the forum software that means special characters can't be used in thread titles when the threads have been split off from others - I seem to recall that's why "The News Thread (for news that does not need a thread)" is called that and not "The News Thread (for news that doesn't need a thread)".

Also geez, get a room you two.

Last edited:
As this is of great importance I have attempted to add the apostrophe where it belongs. Our old forum software used to break with apostrophes in titles exactly as ayase describes but so far, so good...

R

Got another one~

There is this: Every person has his or her fair share of secrets, something tucked in deep down and nothing that's readily to be shared with anybody, often not even your closest. What that called? Like more in lieu of this emotion, when there is something really deep inside and hidden.

There is privacy, privateness, one's own space. But none of that seems to really hit it all that much, especially the emotional side.

Got another one~

There is this: Every person has his or her fair share of secrets, something tucked in deep down and nothing that's readily to be shared with anybody, often not even your closest. What that called? Like more in lieu of this emotion, when there is something really deep inside and hidden.

There is privacy, privateness, one's own space. But none of that seems to really hit it all that much, especially the emotional side.

Firstly, you're welcome for the thread title ;D

Secondly, that concept is basically along the lines of a "Deepest, Darkest Secret" kind of affair. there isn't really a specific phrase or word that works best for it. Privacy, "this is too personal" could certainly fit into the category, but you won't get much that stands out as better in describing it than the other. You can fit all of it into the same category essentially, it's just down to how you portray that message with everything else surrounding it.

Case in point. saying something along the lines of "I really can't tell you right now, it's too personal, sorry maybe another time" - should give them the impression that it's a touchy subject, you want to avoid it, but you aren't against the idea of talking about it another time.
Alternatively something that gives off a different perspective is maybe "I need my own space, leave me alone" means you're extremely defensive of it instead, probably won't talk about it at all.

That make sense? i swear it doesn't, but worth a shot.

"skeletons in the closet" is half new for me. (We have a saying of having corpses in the basement.) Through it's not really what I meant, as it doesn't need to be something evil. I suppose "personal space" is the closest that probably exists.

Got a next one:
What's the best formal dry way to say you went "off course".
Scenario: Somebody has a map and made a plan of how to drive. They then end up somewhere who knows where.
Well, obvious choice is "They got lost", but that's blunt and embarrassing.
"They went off course."
"They deviated from the planned course."
"They veered off course."
"They got off course."
"They wandered off course."
"They drifted off course."
"They've been driven off course."
"They lost directions."

Dictionaries also say "to bear away", but I so never have seen this anywhere. Any more ways that there are?

For completeness sake; the figurative speech "going astray", it's just for the figurative one of a character going down the bad way, is it?

“They / I took a wrong turn” would probably be the most common diplomatic way of saying you or someone else got lost. But out of the ones you listed, “went off course” is probably the best.

Things like “veered off course” and “drifted off course” are more often used in the literal sense, like how the police would describe a car crash happened, or how a rocket launch went wrong. But they could be used in the context of a discussion straying from the point.

“They deviated from the planned course” is particularly unemotional language which could certainly be used by whoever’s saying it to try and minimise what has happened - It sounds like the sort of thing that would be said in a government statement about why someone bombed the wrong village.

Back